Author Topic: Mammut Kento - like a sponge now  (Read 2747 times)

Lewys

Mammut Kento - like a sponge now
« on: 22:08:00, 23/07/17 »
Hi,

I apologise for using my first post to ask for, rather than offer up any help. Been a long time lurker!

I'm hoping someone will have some advice on how to bring back at least some waterproof-ness to my Mammut Kento jacket - it's made from Mammut's DRYtech™ Premium 2.5 layer stretch material.

I've owned the jacket for a little over a year and for most of that time it has been astronomically good as a jacket, stopping wind and water like nothing I've ever owned before.

However, lately it's lost it's ability to rebel water and as a result isn't breathable anymore. I got soaked yesterday doing Yorkshire 3 Peaks.

I have used Nikwax Tech Wash followed by Nikwax Wash-In TX Direct and this has done nothing at all to revive the the jacket. I've used spray on products which although appear to penetrate the jacket; again don't do anything to stop the water doing the same.

Really appreciate any ideas and advice on making it waterproof again

Thank you!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Mammut Kento - like a sponge now
« Reply #1 on: 08:07:34, 24/07/17 »
This might be worth a read https://www.mammut.ch/know-how/apparel/handling

It mentions ironing or tumble drying to reactivate the waterproofing treatment but make sure that you check the care label sewn into the jacket before you do anything.

Lewys

« Reply #2 on: 08:21:51, 24/07/17 »
Cool, thanks.

I tried out the Nikwax again last night and popped it in the tumble drier to help dry it out, thinking that would also activate the product. But reading that page as a result of your post it seems that it needs tumble drying again, after it has dried out completely. In all honesty it was still a tiny bit wet after I took it out last night.

It's currently hanging up in a room with a dehumidifier so should be bone-dry by the time I finish work. I'll pop it in the dryer again and see how I get on!  :)

Edit: I've asked Mammut UK via Facebook exactly what product they would recommend using on their membrane jackets and they've said "We have a large section on our main website that offers care and cleaning instructions for all clothing and kit. However the product we would recommend the most would be either NikWax or Grangers. Both of these will do the job of cleaning your jacket and then reproofing after"

Another Edit: Sadly, another blast in the tumblr dryer has made no difference. The water almost instantly soaks into the jacket.  :'(

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:38:42, 29/07/17 »
Maybe you have some detergent or other substance in it that's ruining the effect.

Have you tried handwashing it in case there are hidden residues in your washing machine?

Ironing or tumbledrying only helps the original fluorocarbon based coatings, not Nikwax or similar products.

I've never found the wash-in ones to be any good.

I would try handwashing it and rinse it several times to ensure it has no residues Then find a fluorocarbon based spray like Grangers Xtreme Repel and use that according to instructions, then heat activate it with an iron or tumbledrying.

I did this with an old (late 80s) army bivy bag and I was the only thing that worked. I found ironing the best heat method.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy