Author Topic: walking poles - A good addition to walking?  (Read 4118 times)

nesty

walking poles - A good addition to walking?
« on: 22:44:39, 23/07/17 »
Naturally I have seen people with walking poles out and about. Never really felt the requirement myself; maybe until now?
My walking now is taking me to more and more places. Tuffer terrain etc.

I did the mendips recently. The biggest fatigue-r with my legs I found was uphills. Though sometimes being pushed off balance (uneven floor) etc.  Also I found downhills putting a lot of pressure on my knees.

So would walking poles aid me in these situations? I've never thought about them until now.

If so; which ones would I need to look for? I'm just about 6 foot. I know nothing about this market!

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: walking poles - A good addition to walking?
« Reply #1 on: 22:58:13, 23/07/17 »
I have them and do find them helpful when tired or a bit achey. They're pretty light to carry on your pack, and I often carry them but don't use them but if the situation arises, they are great help. Try them they're not expensive. Hopefully others will reccomend some brands.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

nesty

« Reply #2 on: 23:07:02, 23/07/17 »
I have them and do find them helpful when tired or a bit achey. They're pretty light to carry on your pack, and I often carry them but don't use them but if the situation arises, they are great help. Try them they're not expensive. Hopefully others will reccomend some brands.

Cheers many thanks. I think they would  definitely help me. Though I notice walking poles have 2 different type tips pointy and round rubber? Soft or hard ground?

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:22:29, 23/07/17 »
I've had a pair of poles for months now, always carried them but never really felt the need to use them until recently.  I started with a niggling knee injury and took to using one of the poles for extra support, third trip out today using it and I can honestly say it is helping with relieving some of the pressures felt on the knee joint on the downhill stretches and it's also a great aid for those uphill stretches too, once I'm confident that I've got the technique of walking with it perfected I'll introduce the other pole, that way hopefully I won't resemble bambi on ice whilst walking.  Have a look at some of the online guides as to how to use the poles to the best advantage, also good tips on how to keep your hands sore and tired free.

Not the cheapest poles out there but well made, sturdy, flick lock system which is a doddle to use (even with gloves on),  I bought my Black Diamond Trail Pro poles in  a 50% off sale at LD Mountain Centre here in Newcastle, however with hindsight I would say I'd be prepared to pay full price for them should I have to do so again.  Personally I wouldn't bother with an anti shock system, just adds more weight to the poles and if you use a good technique you shouldn't need it anyway.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:37:53, 24/07/17 »
I use poles in tougher circumstances, and have a Leki model with cork handles and flick-lock mechanism (which I personally think, from experience, is better than the twist-lock system).  O0

I think, put simply, there are times when they are a help and times when they are not. For me, long uphill sections and some descents can be aided, on the other hand for steep ascents involving scrambling they can get in the way (although can be strapped to your pack during these times).

I also find them useful for long days on flatter ground, such as the Camino or London LOOP, where poling can make long stretches of tarmac more comfortable - not so much from the benefit on the knees, etc, but for the rhythm that can an aid in eating up miles of hard ground.  O0

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:50:58, 24/07/17 »
You will find that they definitely do help but can take some getting used to and there's no point spending loads of money until you know that you can get on with them.

Have a look at these two options http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-carbon-walking-poles-784002 http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-carbon-anti-shock-poles-784003 Possibly the only Karrimor branded items that are worth looking at!  ;D

If you do a search on here you will find that they have been mentioned and recommended numerous times and are both excellent value for money. Here's a review of the Anti Shock version http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=31527.0

These Ex-Display Karrimor Carbon Anti-Shock may be worth a gamble if you make a cheeky offer on them? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Karrimor-Carbon-Anti-Shock-Poles-/302387340147

Never one to be able to resist a bargain I grabbed some of these http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=33971.0 for under £24 whilst they were available in the UK and so far they have proved to be an excellent buy. Sadly they only seem to be available direct from America now and the shipping and import charges make them a non starter.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:28:52, 24/07/17 »
I've used poles now for a couple of decades. I couldn't cope on ascents without them.
They transfer 'some' push power into the upper body. Think of the times you may put your hands onto your thighs to aid you up steep bits?
I once saw a demo where they proved that using poles 'reduced' your weight by nearly 2 stone.
They need to be used correctly, or are ineffective. Splayed out, or pointing forward to aid balance is not the real purpose. The sharp end should be close in parallel to the leading foot. As if you were using your hands to walk with.
Always use as a pair.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:37:18, 24/07/17 »

Have a look at these two options http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-carbon-walking-poles-784002 http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-carbon-anti-shock-poles-784003 Possibly the only Karrimor branded items that are worth looking at!  ;D

My wife uses the Karrimor poles and she finds them excellent.  We wouldn't normally buy things in Sports Direct, but in this case the poles are really good quality for a very reasonable price.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:04:05, 24/07/17 »
I have two pairs, first a pair of carbon fibre Pacerpoles which are excellent. Their only downside is the handles are a bit cumbersome especially when I secure them to my rucksack when not in use.

I also have a pair of carbon fibre Alpkit poles which are also very good. They store on my rucksack very easily.

The Pacerpoles are best when needed for use, its the handles that make the difference. If I use my Alpkits for long periods I tend to get a sore area between my thumb and forefinger.

With carbon fibre poles you have to be careful when they get momentarily stuck in between rocks, one false move and they can snap in two. Downward pressure is fine.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:18:10, 24/07/17 »
+1 for Pacerpoles. Ideal walking companions being actually designed for walking rather than as spin offs from ski poles and very good after sales too. While they are expensive, they are very long lasting. Just calculated from my logs that mine have done 2800 miles (actually used, not carried)  so far and while a bit scuffed are still going strong. Would not swap them for another brand.
Solvitur Ambulando

thomasdevon

« Reply #10 on: 16:01:25, 24/07/17 »
Poles are a great aid, transferring some of the "push" from legs to arms and shoulders, giving extra range and by the way a pretty good work-out. They help establish a steady pace on all terrains and make it easy to speed up on good flat ground so as to eat up some miles.

I prefer to have those with lever locks rather than twist lockings, more durable, less fiddly in cold/wet.

nesty

« Reply #11 on: 16:40:48, 24/07/17 »
Many thanks for the replies.
I think this might be a product, where I may have to get used to it first.
I might start off with some budget carbon ones and if I like the method. Then I may upgrade later on!

nesty

« Reply #12 on: 17:36:23, 24/07/17 »
I decided to go with the ebay Karrimor Carbon Anti-Shock  ones. Put in a lesser offer and got accepted!
I know many will say they will weigh more with the anti shock system. I do acknowledge that. However, the anti shock does appeal to me with the state of my hands etc!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:09:00, 24/07/17 »
You will find walking poles have many uses.  Apart from saving the aging knees, you can use them to fend off unfriendly cows and other animals, test the depth of bogs before you put your foot in them, I find them a great help keeping my balance on stream crossings.  I bought them to keep the delicate knees functioning, but you will find them useful in all sorts of ways.

nesty

« Reply #14 on: 19:35:38, 24/07/17 »
You will find walking poles have many uses.  Apart from saving the aging knees, you can use them to fend off unfriendly cows and other animals, test the depth of bogs before you put your foot in them, I find them a great help keeping my balance on stream crossings.  I bought them to keep the delicate knees functioning, but you will find them useful in all sorts of ways.

Gonna have some days out in the Chilterns over Aug to start testing the poles out!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy