Author Topic: TR - Round Wast Water  (Read 1365 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - Round Wast Water
« on: 11:18:10, 24/07/17 »
Starting from Church Stile campsite in Nether Wasdale my son and I crossed the valley and headed steeply up on to, what I had never realised was called, Irton Fell.
Turning left along the ridge we passed the head of Great Hall Gill.

The route ahead

After crossing the summit of Whin Rigg we passed this guy sunning himself. It was another warm day and we already needed to refill our water supplies from the small tarns as we continued on to Illgill Head.

From Illgill Head we took the more northerly of the steep paths down encountering on our way a new walking hazard the Path Squatters. A group of about 10 people had stopped for a rest on their way up completely across the path, we had to pick our way round their legs and rucksacks to continue down.

We walked round the head of the lake and, seeing a sign promising ice-cream, headed in to the NT campsite only to find the shop shut.

In Stuart Marshall's Walking the Wainwrights he suggests that you can walk up Middle Fell from Netherbeck Bridge. We did it, don't anyone else make the same mistake. It is a vile, rocky, bracken infested, lung and leg killing, path free scramble. The views are great but I will never do it that way again.

and the obligatory summit shot

We then headed north from the summit to descend via Greendale tarn on a path which appeared and disappeared at regular intervals though when we met a Mum and young girl heading up towards us in flipflops we assumed it would be OK from then on.

A lovely path by the river then took us back to Nether Wasdale campsite and, shortly after that, the pub.

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Round Wast Water
« Reply #1 on: 11:56:49, 24/07/17 »
Great pics ridge O0
Another nice day you had
the Path Squatters. Are now on the banned list   ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:41:06, 24/07/17 »
More lovely weather and pics :D
Really chuffed that good weather coincided with you holidays, the fells are nice in any weather but you can't beat a bit of sunshine O0
And yes some of Stuart Marshall's routes are a bit crazy ( and that's coming from someone who likes the occasional unusual route )

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:15:33, 24/07/17 »
I am pleased you got great weather again, I hope it continued for you all the time you were in the Lakes.

Great photos, I love the view from Middle Fell of the Scafells.

Some of Stuart Marshall's routes are a bit crazy ( and that's coming from someone who likes the occasional unusual route )

:o You could write a new book Karl, "Karls Krazy Kut Price Tour Routes" just as mad/bad as Stuart Marshalls  :D

Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:21:32, 24/07/17 »
the Path Squatters. Are now on the banned list  ;D
Pleased to hear it. It was just such an odd thing to do. There were 2 men sitting a bit away from the main group who looked more experienced and said hi, I wondered if they were guides and the others were very new to walking.

And yes some of Stuart Marshall's routes are a bit crazy ( and that's coming from someone who likes the occasional unusual route )
I don't mind a bit of a path-free wander but this was really unpleasant giving ample opportunities to sprain an ankle.

Great photos, I love the view from Middle Fell of the Scafells
Thanks, that was my favourite too. Now my son does all the map reading I have moved back to being the photographer again.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:17:44, 24/07/17 »
Lovely pics Ridge  :)   It was really good of that lizard to pose for a pic - he's even smiling for the camera  :D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:25:05, 24/07/17 »
Lovely pics Ridge  :)   It was really good of that lizard to pose for a pic - he's even smiling for the camera  :D
He was very patient with us, he waited for ages while we faffed about getting a good shot of him. When we had finished my shadow passed across him and he scarpered, I guess it is a defence mechanism against birds.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:27:45, 24/07/17 »
The summit view makes up for the difficult access  ;D  Thanks for sharing  O0

It's worth shouting to path squatters "Mind your backs, bus coming"  :D

Regards Keith

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:08:27, 24/07/17 »
The summit view makes up for the difficult access  ;D  Thanks for sharing  O0
Thanks Keith.
The view was great but next time I'll be following a path.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:30:58, 25/07/17 »
Loving your description of Stuart Marshall's suggested route. I have learnt that his route can be killers, and you have confirmed that. Still at least you got to Middle Fell summit for the view!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy