Author Topic: Castle Crag and Blencathra and David Powell Thompson No Less  (Read 900 times)

Scrambledlegs

Back from an epic 24 hours!

Went up Castle Crag yesterday, stayed at Hollowstones campsite (thoroughly recommended and we'll be taking the kids in a few weeks).

What a beautiful short walk. We were so lucky with the weather and spent ages exploring the 'tombstones' accompanied by some huge crickets, enormous dragon flies and saw what we think was a bird of prey soaring above then across to the right of Derwentwater.

Then....today we walked up Blencathra in thick fog part of the way with none other than David Powell Thompson!!! Hes so lovely, stopping to talk on us then waiting further on to offer his knowledge on an alternative scrambling route knowing what we had in mind. We had had a bit of a discussion on whether or not to do Sharp Edge in reverse and he advised not as he's only done it twice himself in reverse. We couldn't bring ourselves to say "Hey don't we know you off TV to save his privacy but there was a lot of energy amongst the few at the summit who recognised him.

I'm in complete awe! So we did Halls Fell Ridge in reverse back to Scales and all in all our weekend was brilliant. 4000ft + in less than 24 hours. We found a working stove complete with gas at the side of the road ( much better nick than ours) found a waxed peak cap, a cuddly toy, a bloody good OS map bizarrely thrown in the campsite bin and gained a free tea towel.

What a lovely trip. Glad to be at home not being eaten alive by midgies and I've a head full of exciting memories😁

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Who is David Powell Thomson?

Skip

• Veteran Member
A well-known Lake District mountain guide (qualified ML) who appears on television, notably in Terry Abraham's films. A familiar figure on the fells, he's friendly and approachable. Prize-winning beard too.

Pictures of him on Google no doubt.

Glad to hear you had a great trip, Scrambledlegs :)
Skip

Bhod

• Veteran Member

So pleased it's not just me who's never heard of him...  :)
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
So pleased it's not just me who's never heard of him...  :)
but now you have heard of him so next time you hear his name you will vaguely remember it.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I've just reread my post and realised how bloody patronising it sounds which wasn't my intention. I had not heard of him either so googled him. I wanted my post to sound more like 'you live and learn'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy