Author Topic: TR - West of Wast Water  (Read 1510 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - West of Wast Water
« on: 21:11:53, 26/07/17 »
Walking from the lovely Chapel Stile camp site in Nether Wasdale we discovered its only shortcoming. There is a footpath through the site but it is not signposted. Surely it would be better to not have people, as we did, wandering aimlessly round the static caravans to try and find the route.

The night before there had been a huge rainstorm and the clouds were still well down as we headed towards Buckbarrow.

We headed up to the right of Gill Beck. The previous nights rain meant that, not only was the ground soaked but, pushing through the bracken we were wet to chest height. Still it did mean lots of water coming down the becks.

As we ascended Buckbarrow the clouds kept rising and falling.

As we headed on towards Seatallan the cloud dropped and we were suddenly doing proper nav, actually lining up the base plate on the map and turning the bezel and everything just like proper walkers.

The temperature had dropped and by the time we arrived at the trig we were in fleeces, coats, hats and gloves. We sat in the summit shelter for a bite to eat.

As we set of again the cloud lifted from Seatallan but was still crowning our next objective Haycock.

We dropped down the end of Seatallan and then splashed along through Pots of Ashness and High Pikehow. How did these places get their names?

We went NW at the front of Haycock to then ascend it by the grass rake. By the time we were at the top the cloud had lifted.
Anyone on the Sca fells was not so lucky.

Looking over in to Ennerdale

and our route down.

On previous trips we may have continued on and up the other side but we turned right at the col to walk beside Nether Beck.

Loads of water in the beck meant the waterfalls were running at full tilt.

Then round the base of Middle fell and right up the road to cut through the fields back to the camp site, and on to the pub for pie and beer.

April

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - West of Wast Water
« Reply #1 on: 21:47:56, 26/07/17 »
wandering aimlessly ..........to try and find the route.

I call this navigating

doing proper nav, actually lining up the base plate on the map and turning the bezel and everything just like proper walkers.

:-\  You've lost me with that sentence  ;)

It is more satisfying navigating the "old fashioned" way with a paper map and compass. I always feel I am cheating using my tablet and viewranger, it is too easy  :)

Great pics and still a pretty good day (for the Lakes)  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:59:43, 26/07/17 »

Thanks April.
It was a good day, it was always dry and we just wrapped up against the cold wind.
It is more satisfying navigating the "old fashioned" way with a paper map and compass.
It is when it works.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:12:53, 27/07/17 »
great pics again ridge ... O0

its nice to see the rivers and waterfalls in spate after a good downpour,
not so nice walking in it though eh...

As we headed on towards Seatallan the cloud dropped and we were suddenly doing proper nav, actually lining up the base plate on the map and turning the bezel and everything just like proper walkers.

;D ;D ;D
its a different ball game when your in the clag
so easy to get lost
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:48:57, 27/07/17 »
Thanks Beefy.

At least we avoided actually being rained on but everything was soaked.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:04:56, 27/07/17 »
That's more like it, proper Lake district weather ;D
Looks like a great holiday to knock off the hard to reach outlying Wainwrights.  ;)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:21:22, 27/07/17 »
That's more like it, proper Lake district weather ;D 
;D

Looks like a great holiday to knock off the hard to reach outlying Wainwrights.  ;)
That's exactly what it was, I always try to get new ones done as I don't get up often enough.

I've just been to visit a friend of mine, who is seriously ill, who I walked Buckbarrow with over 25 years ago, the only other time I've done it, when he was mopping up his outstanding Wainwrights.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:54:09, 27/07/17 »
A nice demanding walk beats the monotony  ;D  Pie looks nice, do they do proper pastry (shortcrust or suet)?
Regards Keith

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:07:10, 27/07/17 »
Pie looks nice, do they do proper pastry (shortcrust or suet)?
Shortcrust.
We ate there 4 nights and the pie was so good we all had it 3 times.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:33:13, 03/08/17 »
At the end of the day, walking back near Wastwater, there were quite a lot of sirens and we saw a couple of MRT vehicles flying down the road. Fortunately it looks like all was well.

http://www.wmrt.org.uk/incidents/red-pike-thu-20th-jul-2017/

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:42:22, 05/08/17 »
Nice one, Ridge - good up there innit :)
Skip

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:01:29, 05/08/17 »
Nice one, Ridge - good up there innit :)
It certainly is.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy