Author Topic: Waterproof issues with a jacket  (Read 2260 times)

TonyC

Waterproof issues with a jacket
« on: 09:34:32, 27/07/17 »
Hello

I currently use a Berghaus AQ2 lightweight single skin jacket during the spring through to the autumn when on walks. It seems to deal with showers ok but when out on days when the rain is persistent (light or heavy), water comes through. It's breathability is not that good also. I follow the reproofing instructions including tumble drying but it remains unable to keep the rain out.

So my question is, is there a lightweight single skin jacket that is 100% waterproof with good breathabiltiy? Or am I looking for something which just doesn't exist? I'm aware of one or two jackets that seem to perform well for a year or so but then perform less well. I walk usually twice a week. My hope is that I can find a jacket which works well and which will last a few years at least. If I have to pay 'more' for such a jacket that's ok. It is my hobby so I'll pay the price. Finding the right product is the issue if it exists.

Looking forward to your replies and thanks

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Waterproof issues with a jacket
« Reply #1 on: 09:58:25, 27/07/17 »
Are you sure it's the rain getting in and not simply your sweat?  Single skin jackets in particular don't breath well when wet so do get wet/clammy on the inside that is often mistaken for a leaking jacket.  Correct layering is essential to help prevent that damp feeling.

You can check if it really is leaking by wearing it in your shower, being careful not to let water in around your neck!
Where there's a will ...

Pitboot

« Reply #2 on: 10:57:19, 27/07/17 »
What are you wearing under the jacket when you get the moisture? If it's cotton look at getting a proper wicking base layer to manage evaporation.
In humid conditions as of late you will find most shell jackets feel at least clammy. Yesterday I wore a light windproof, not a waterproof, and still got condensation, despite having a really good base layer.

Forkbeard

« Reply #3 on: 11:21:36, 31/07/17 »
I used to have a similar jacket to this one and opted for one with a mesh lining instead. They're not much heavier/warmer/bulkier and the  liner helps keep any moisture build up away from you.

Waterproof jackets can be a pain in the [censored] in this sort of humid, warmish weather; I only wear mine it it starts really bouncing it down.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:18:13, 31/07/17 »
OMM Kamleika jacket, or smock.
Made of a very stretchy single layered material,called Gellanots, that moves with your body.
For its minimal weight, its amongst the best fully waterproof garments around, and the choice of many of the top endurance runners.

Their only disadvantage for the walker, is that they have no pockets, and are designed for the athletically built walker, which cancels out most of us,  its a purely functional fully waterproof, highly breathable garment.

If you are of skinny build, and want a very lightweight, fully waterproof jacket or smock, the OMM comes highly recommended.

Ive worn mine, is some horrendous weather, on top of Foel Grach, and even though the sweat was an issue, the jacket kept most of the rain, at bay.

For most of us, pockets are a vital necessity, but if you can make do without them, the Kamleika makes a wonderful addition to a walkers kit.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:48:31, 07/08/17 »
I used to have a similar jacket to this one and opted for one with a mesh lining instead. They're not much heavier/warmer/bulkier and the  liner helps keep any moisture build up away from you.

Waterproof jackets can be a pain in the [censored] in this sort of humid, warmish weather; I only wear mine it it starts really bouncing it down.

What is the lightweight jacket with a lining you use please?
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:38:10, 07/08/17 »
Why do you need a lining in the jacket.
That lining will only trap the sweat and perspiration, on those hot muggy days.
The OMM waterproofs do not need any lining, and they breath incredibly well, and are pretty bombproof when it comes to keeping the water at bay.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:12:03, 07/08/17 »
Why do you need a lining in the jacket.
That lining will only trap the sweat and perspiration, on those hot muggy days.

I would hope that on a hot muggy day you wouldn't be wearing a waterproof jacket  ::)
Where there's a will ...

wobblyknees

« Reply #8 on: 11:59:33, 07/08/17 »
OMM Kamleika jacket
 its amongst the best fully waterproof garments around,

the jacket kept most of the rain, at bay.

and are pretty bombproof when it comes to keeping the water at bay.

Either it is or it isn't waterproof. Which? please.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:44:28, 07/08/17 »
My experience is that after a while every waterproof jacket proves to the wearer that its not waterproof!

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:14:57, 07/08/17 »
All of my waterproofs have leaked at least a little bit in heavy rain or when its rained for a decent length of time - They have seams , various places where parts of your body poke out (ooooer) and are just innately not as efficient as other waterproof coatings we have to hand, such as skin.

I stopped buying 'expensive ' waterproofs a few years ago and now go with the idea that as long as I'm warm it doesn't matter. To this end I use garments beneath my mid-range Montane 80 quid bought in a sale hardshell that keep me warm and comfy even when they're damp - A simple microfleece and running t-shirt do the job all the way through from March to November and for winter I use just thicker items of the same. I treat the waterproof outer as a hardshell to keep out the cold and in the warm rather than as the 100% waterproof layer. If I ever arrive at a point where I suddenly need to rely on absolute wateproofness say due to injury or an enforced pause in my walk, I have an Alpkit bivybag somewhere in the bottom of my rucksack

Roy
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Forkbeard

« Reply #11 on: 18:08:22, 07/08/17 »
What is the lightweight jacket with a lining you use please?

The black version of this:

https://m.thehut.com/sports-jackets/berghaus-men-s-bowfell-shell-jacket-blue/11085459.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn6DMBRC0ARIsAHZtCeN3czlKj8RBSsA-gsKjC27PihkchmwMZWRISQWSlrNzILk2Gk43zJ4aAk8VEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNbyibTMxdUCFbQD0wodukIB-w&variation=11085460

It doesn't fit me any longer though as I've lost quite a bit of weight. I need a new one and don't know what to get. They seem to have been discontinued other than a few odd sizes here and there. Berghaus are a funny fit on me to begin with so I might try something else. Other than fit it's been pretty reliable and any perspiration clings to the coat behind the mesh liner.

jethro10

« Reply #12 on: 19:21:36, 07/08/17 »
All of my waterproofs have leaked at least a little bit in heavy rain or when its rained for a decent length of time - They have seams , various places where parts of your body poke out (ooooer) and are just innately not as efficient as other waterproof coatings we have to hand, such as skin.

I stopped buying 'expensive ' waterproofs a few years ago and now go with the idea that as long as I'm warm it doesn't matter. To this end I use garments beneath my mid-range Montane 80 quid bought in a sale hardshell that keep me warm and comfy even when they're damp - A simple microfleece and running t-shirt do the job all the way through from March to November and for winter I use just thicker items of the same. I treat the waterproof outer as a hardshell to keep out the cold and in the warm rather than as the 100% waterproof layer. If I ever arrive at a point where I suddenly need to rely on absolute wateproofness say due to injury or an enforced pause in my walk, I have an Alpkit bivybag somewhere in the bottom of my rucksack

Roy
Exactly the same philosophy, even down to a Bivvy bag
J

JerryW

« Reply #13 on: 20:41:56, 07/08/17 »
My Berghaus Paclite jacket (and trousers) were fully waterproof for some years. They no longer are mainly because of too many barbed wire/bramble/thorn incidents over the years..
I recommend them but they are only medium in the breathability stakes. OK most of the time but climbing hills will show them up.. I suspect that would apply to most jackets however. They are pretty light and packable but also robust. Not too expensive either, you can find them for around £100
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy