Author Topic: Materials in walking trousers  (Read 4074 times)

nesty

Materials in walking trousers
« on: 01:38:39, 28/07/17 »
Been looking at walking trousers recently. Not been straightforward, as I want a pair with the leg fronts made of one piece (IE no stitching over the knee or thigh area). I find the join irritating.

Anyway, want a pair of quick drying.

Is polycotton quick drying?

I've seen trousers with least 70% cotton base and either nylon or polyester makes up the rest.
Are products with a cotton base that high, actually quick drying?

I m a bit skeptical about nylon, as I'll be a walking electrical static maker with them. One touch of metal after afterwards. I'll probably short the car out! 

Alan Kilroy

Re: Materials in walking trousers
« Reply #1 on: 06:08:27, 28/07/17 »
Use your lightning conductor, you'll be grand.  :D

nesty

« Reply #2 on: 08:02:57, 28/07/17 »
Use your lightning conductor, you'll be grand.  :D

Not sure if you ever seen star wars : return of the Jedi. When the emperor uses the  force bolt lightening at the end.

That's me with static against metal!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:02:44, 28/07/17 »
My experience: polycotton trousers (65% synthetic/35% cotton) get damp when I'm walking and stay damp, 100% nylon aka polyamide trousers dry very quickly if there's sun and/or wind.

So for me it's a choice of nylon over polycotton all the time. It's noticeable that nylon ones dry quicker than polycotton on the washing line too.

That said, there are differences in the nylon/polyamide materials used. They can be nice and soft or they can be a bit stiff/less comfortable.

Static? Never been a problem for me when I'm walking. I'm more prone to getting a quick tingle in my other life lol when I touch the handrail on stairs in shops and offices.

nesty

« Reply #4 on: 09:54:23, 28/07/17 »
My experience: polycotton trousers (65% synthetic/35% cotton) get damp when I'm walking and stay damp, 100% nylon aka polyamide trousers dry very quickly if there's sun and/or wind.

So for me it's a choice of nylon over polycotton all the time. It's noticeable that nylon ones dry quicker than polycotton on the washing line too.

That said, there are differences in the nylon/polyamide materials used. They can be nice and soft or they can be a bit stiff/less comfortable.

Static? Never been a problem for me when I'm walking. I'm more prone to getting a quick tingle in my other life lol when I touch the handrail on stairs in shops and offices.

OK thanks. I do see a lot of 70% cotton, 30% Nylon out there. I felt some trousers the other day with that combination, but they didn't feel Nylonly, if makes sense. That combo might work if was quick drying.

Another separate issue. The other day I found a Next voucher gift card in the draw (must been from house warming). Anyway, took it in to Next & there is £30 on it! I rarely buy from Next. Though wasn't too sure if I'd get away with the below for low level walking? The stitching across the leg doesn't look heavy. I'd have to try them on. Tho, for £5 personal outlay effectively, could be ok!

http://www.next.co.uk/style/st181958#740071
« Last Edit: 10:05:59, 28/07/17 by nesty »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:22:38, 28/07/17 »
If you haven't had a look at them already you could do a lot worse than the Craghoppers Men's Classic Kiwi Trousers available in a number of colours and 3 leg lengths.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/classic-kiwi-trousers-reg-p149735

They're a totally different fit to the Kiwi Pro Stretch which you didn't like.

They do have a panel on the knee and seat areas but I have not found that to be a problem at all when wearing them and I find them to be very comfortable and quick drying.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:51:44, 28/07/17 »
Rohan Bags will be the answer, but each to their own.
There are many style of trousers out there, but if you want a product that is very high quality, will dry from wet, in a matter of minutes, in the right conditions, then trousers manufactured by Rohan would be my choice.
A pair of almost identically designed Mountain Equipment Freestyle trousers, have been with me, for just over thirty years, and the polycotton material dries almost as quickly as Pertex, and their incredibly windproof.

When conditions are so bad, you pull on your waterproof over trousers, but in normal conditions, a cotton weave is sufficient to keep the wind at bay.

The slight moisture in the crotch area, is never a problem, as it never gets sufficiently damp to be a nuisance.

Ive lost count of how many times my ME trousers have been saturated with water, but in sunny breezy conditions, you can almost watch the polycotton dry in front of you.

With trousers, you certainly do not want any material with an added water repellancy coating added to them

Trousers should be fully windproof, dry from wet, in minutes not hours, and have pockets in abundance.

Make sure their made of high quality cotton mix, and you will not go far wrong.
Craghoppers make similar cotton trousers, as do other manufactures, but for over all quality in manufacture Rohan are amongst the best, their over manufactured, and made to last a considerable time, like my ME Freestyles.

Saw a pair in my size in Gaynors Ambleside recently for only £30, in my size, various colours as well.

Manufacturers do not like their products to last decades, but certain trousers on the market, are so well manufactured, that you will still be wearing them in 30+ yrs or more.
« Last Edit: 11:09:31, 28/07/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

nesty

« Reply #7 on: 11:09:29, 28/07/17 »
If you haven't had a look at them already you could do a lot worse than the Craghoppers Men's Classic Kiwi Trousers available in a number of colours and 3 leg lengths.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/classic-kiwi-trousers-reg-p149735

They're a totally different fit to the Kiwi Pro Stretch which you didn't like.

They do have a panel on the knee and seat areas but I have not found that to be a problem at all when wearing them and I find them to be very comfortable and quick drying.

Actually I tried them on the other day in Go Outdoors, when collecting my Lowe Alpine Trail. Have to say they ticked the bill on the front fitting great. Though I found them tight in the personal place  :-\ . Otherwise they'd been ok! 

nesty

« Reply #8 on: 11:12:46, 28/07/17 »
Rohan Bags will be the answer, but each to their own.
There are many style of trousers out there, but if you want a product that is very high quality, will dry from wet, in a matter of minutes, in the right conditions, then trousers manufactured by Rohan would be my choice.
A pair of almost identically designed Mountain Equipment Freestyle trousers, have been with me, for just over thirty years, and the polycotton material dries almost as quickly as Pertex, and their incredibly windproof.

When conditions are so bad, you pull on your waterproof over trousers, but in normal conditions, a cotton weave is sufficient to keep the wind at bay.

The slight moisture in the crotch area, is never a problem, as it never gets sufficiently damp to be a nuisance.

Ive lost count of how many times my ME trousers have been saturated with water, but in sunny breezy conditions, you can almost watch the polycotton dry in front of you.

With trousers, you certainly do not want any material with an added water repellancy coating added to them

Trousers should be fully windproof, dry from wet, in minutes not hours, and have pockets in abundance.

Make sure their made of high quality cotton mix, and you will not go far wrong.
Craghoppers make similar cotton trousers, as do other manufactures, but for over all quality in manufacture Rohan are amongst the best, their over manufactured, and made to last a considerable time, like my ME Freestyles.

Saw a pair in my size in Gaynors Ambleside recently for only £30, in my size, various colours as well.

Manufacturers do not like their products to last decades, but certain trousers on the market, are so well manufactured, that you will still be wearing them in 30+ yrs or more.

I bought a some Berghaus Deluge the other day so catered for the downpour.

It's just the quick drying am after.
I tried on the Mountain equipment Ibex they were ok. Though cheapest can see is £63!
I'll take a look at Rohan
Thanks

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:28:52, 28/07/17 »
Its best to shop around for the Rohans, because in their Bettws Y Coed store, their in the £60+ bracket, which is a bit rich for my taste, ive seen them advertised for half that.
They have been in production for many many years, and if your confident in the correct waist leg fitting, they can be purchased for sensible money.

Other trousers may perform just as well, but if your after leg coverings, that are tried and tested, dry incredible quickly, and will probably outlast you, their worth considering.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:41:10, 28/07/17 »

:D :D :D :D
It depends on your age, DA!

nesty

« Reply #11 on: 11:43:32, 28/07/17 »
Its best to shop around for the Rohans, because in their Bettws Y Coed store, their in the £60+ bracket, which is a bit rich for my taste, ive seen them advertised for half that.
They have been in production for many many years, and if your confident in the correct waist leg fitting, they can be purchased for sensible money.

Other trousers may perform just as well, but if your after leg coverings, that are tried and tested, dry incredible quickly, and will probably outlast you, their worth considering.

I have a pair of Paramo Maui. Really like them. Though I haven't tested their drying ability, so don't want to soley take them with me on travels. Again all one piece at the front. I've tried on so many trousers so far.

The only 2 which felt comfortable are Mountain Equipment Ibex at £63, which bit rich price wise.
And North Ridge Yangon, they were comfortable at £35. Though I am a bit loathed to pay £35 for Go outdoors own unproven product. I'm hoping they will reduce them!

I don't mind buying 2nd hand either!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:11:30, 28/07/17 »

If the ones from Next are comfortable and look the kind of thing you want I would go for them.
We tend to forget that back in the day when there wasn't all this fancy gear most of us walked in jeans, or whatever we happened to have.  My brother still does.  When we are up some hill in the pouring rain he eyes up my posh Paramos  and remarks that he must get something like that one day, but a year later he is back, still in his jeans.  As he is in his 70's and an experienced walker,  and in his misspent youth did a fair bit of climbing and caving I know that if I remark on his lack of 'proper' gear, he will tell me what to teach my Grandmother to do.  And follow it up by telling me what a sucker I am to buy all this expensive stuff.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:22:00, 28/07/17 »
Ive only been foolish enough to wear jeans once , many years ago, whilst climbing Pen Y fan.
It inevitably started to rain, and the jeans got soaking wet.
If i remember, it was in the summer time, but my legs still got very cold, and my core temperature started to go down hill.
The problem with jeans, is that they offer no protection in the inclement weather we usually get in the Uk, and take ages to dry, and offer little or no wind protection when wet.

Still, they seem to be very popular with your recreational walker.

Manufacturers produce high quality walking trousers for a reason.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:17:08, 28/07/17 »

I think you are missing the point Dyffryn.  50 years ago there weren't high quality walking trousers, or at least not within the reach of most of us.
And most of us survived.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy