Author Topic: Pen Y Pass Advice  (Read 10890 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Pen Y Pass Advice
« Reply #15 on: 11:47:34, 30/07/17 »

Even further off topic but...

( I used the chips example because I was charged £3:00 for 20 chips at the Heckington Village Fair yesterday.)
15p a chip! I've nothing to say that the forum won't censor.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:57:14, 30/07/17 »
Well said Ridge - about parking - not about chips.  O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:47:44, 30/07/17 »
Its not so much the parking charges that worry me, but what Gwynedd Council do, with the substantial revenue generated by parking tickets and pay & display revenue.
It was only recently we were discussing the terrible lack of available revenue, to maintain the many paths up and around Snowdon.

Just google the article about Powys council purchasing a very expensive new automatic Audi for its chief executive.

For some reason, he wanted an automatic car, befitting his senior position on the council.

Local rate payers were really unimpressed, when council revenue went to the purchase of a stunning black new Audi auto, for the Chief Exec.

That's were the parking revenue is going, and as i am already a ratepayer in Gwynedd, i object having to pay exorbitant parking charges, when i know the revenue is being squandered.
« Last Edit: 19:53:50, 30/07/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:05:22, 31/07/17 »
OK, this is a waking forum rather than a political forum but.....

The situation with the car for the chief exec of Powys council is totally unconnected with parking charges or Council Tax in Gwynedd. My Counci Tax bill includes a levy for the Park Authority which is inadequate for their needs in maintaining the footpath network in Snowdonia.
Additional funding has to be found from somewhere and the visitor is fair game just as i am when I visit a city

I could gripe about those who drive from the Midlands park at one of the Cader Idris car parks for £4, climb the mountain and drive home without making any contribution to the local economy., but that's the way it is and will remain so unless someone can devise a means of extracting money from them.

You imply that Gwynedd squander money. Our Council tax is far lower than in most English counties yet we have to fund social care for an increasingly aged population many of whom have only recently moved here yet spend their days whingeing and moaning.

Sorry, rant over, but some things need to be said.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:01:01, 31/07/17 »
I totally disagree, as a similar thing happened with a Gwynedd councillor many years ago, receiving a totally inappropriate vehicle, paid with rate payers money.
Its what Gwynedd authority chooses to do with its substantial parking revenues.
The Snowdonia National Park attracts millions of visitors annually, and the National Park authority and Gwynedd Council are two separate authorities in the same area of NW Wales.

Funding for the National Park, comes from the WAG in Cardiff, and their in constant turmoil in trying to gather sufficient funds to repair the paths up Snowdon.

The majority of the National Park resides in Gwynedd, and its extremely questionable how much of the parking revenue returns to path maintenance.

Parking charges are alway's a thorny issue, and with charges as high as £10 being levied to access the mountain, how much of the substantial revenue is funnelled back for future generations?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:24:22, 31/07/17 »
After following ninthace's link (which actually answered the original poster's question), I'm curious to know why the parking fee at Pen y Pass is double that of the rest of Gwynedd  ???

Anyway, even further off topic, I'm glad to see that the usual suspect has managed to thread hijack.... yet again  ::) 

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:55:50, 31/07/17 »
All carparks around Snowdon, are owned and run by the Snowdonia Park authority, but because Pen Y Pass proves to be one of the most popular routes up the mountain, the parking charges reflect this.
The parking fee is a crisp £10, simply because in conjunction with Gwynedd authority, parking is strictly monitored around the mountain.
Forget to pay your parking fee in any of the main carparks, or outstay your welcome, and the yellow tickets are issued with a vengence.

Some years ago, a blind eye was shown to poorly parked cars, especially up the llanberis Pass, but no more.

The only true safe area, for the lazy or unwary motorist, is a hundred or so yards beyond the PenY Gwyrydd hotel, where Gwynedd meets Conwy.

Policing Mt Snowdon, is big business, and who knows how expensive parking will become in the future.

Years ago, i could never have envisaged it costing £10 to park in the confined area of Pen Y Pass, but its popularity is increasing year on year.

If Conwy eventually join Gwynedd and start charging to park within walking distance of the mountain, then who knows where it will end.

More reason to seek out those rare forgotten hiding places that both National Park and Gwynedd council have forgotten about, they are certainly a rare commodity around the mountain.

Car insurance, tax, fuel etc, costs the average walker dearly, soon only the well heeled will be able to access the mountain.
Cannot afford the parking charges, make way for those who can, and are willing to pay.

« Last Edit: 23:06:25, 31/07/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:07:53, 31/07/17 »
..., but because Pen Y Pass proves to be one of the most popular routes up the mountain, the parking charges reflect this.

I find it difficult to believe this is the reason.  Do you have any proof this is the case?

PS.. It's not "Mt" Snowdon.... it's just "Snowdon"  O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:15:19, 31/07/17 »
No proof is needed.
Pan Y Pass, Bryn Gwynant, Rhydd Ddu, and more likely than not, the large carpark opposite the llanberis Mountain railway, are all owned and operated by the Snowdonia Park authority, based in Penrhyndaedraeth.
They have complete control over their maintenance, and levy of parking tariffs, for those who choose to use them to access the mountain.

If its £10 to park at Pen Y Pass, the only reason for it being so, is that the Park authority have set it at such an inflated level.

Access their main website, and there is a job application form for the employment of a revenue collector at Pen Y Pass, with a sallary of £19000.

The Park authority with their famous logo, of Snowdon capped in snow, is clearly visible throughout the national park, and especially at Pen Y pass.

The charges are not set by the Welsh Government in Cardiff, or Gwynedd Council.

All ownership and maintenance of the car parks is undertaken by the park authority, and they set the prices.
« Last Edit: 23:19:56, 31/07/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:35:02, 01/08/17 »
Its what Gwynedd authority chooses to do with its substantial parking revenues.

But then you go on to say that the Park Authority have the revenue from parking around Snowdon.

Yes, £10 is expensive for what you get. Put it up to £20 and Pen y Pass would still be full by dawn. Reduce the charge and it would have no impact. Park legally and securely in Llanberis or Nant Peris for £4 or in Betws y Coed for free and use the Sherpa bus.

One moment you say that path maintenance is necessary to protect the mountain for future generations (agreed) yet you seek to deprive the Park Authority of the means to fund this. You ignore the fact that much of Snowdonia is owned by the National Trust who also contribute to footpath maintenance. And for the record Gwynedd Councils contribution to the Park Authority both last year and this is £962k. You will find that figure on your Council Tax bill.

I can't find any job vacancies on the SNPA website today but I would not have thought that a salary of £19k for the Pen y Pass parking supervisor is excessive by today's standards given the flak and nonsense which has to be sorted out there with vehicles obstructing both the car and bus parking areas.

Those who belong to the "I want something for nothing" brigade or who have short arms and deep pockets should possibly avoid Snowdon altogether.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:33:57, 01/08/17 »
If its £10 to park at Pen Y Pass, the only reason for it being so, is that the Park authority have set it at such an inflated level.

All ownership and maintenance of the car parks is undertaken by the park authority, and they set the prices.

All very true but the question I asked was WHY is the parking at Pen y Pass double the price of the other car parks in the NP?  Perhaps I should have asked is "what justifies the difference in price?"  PyP being at the start of a popular route up is not a justifiable reason.  It's a rather churlish answer to say "because the Park Authority have set it at such an inflated level".  Where are you getting your information from please DA?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 11:18:06, 02/08/17 »
I recon its because they know they have a never ending procession of walkers willing to pay it.
When someone has an almost monopoly on the parking in a specific region, they have total control over what tariffs are issued.

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:19:30, 02/08/17 »
If I remember rightly they put it at that price to cover the cost of the new buildings that were built a couple of years ago plus the expense of the miners path being tarmaced the other point is the revenues from the national park car parks goes to the national park authority not the council and I for one think it's money well spent
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:11:19, 02/08/17 »
True. The tarmac on the Miners Path must have cost many thousands. Some might say it was a waste of money but it does allow the less able to have a taste of Snowdon.

The rebuild of the Miners from Llydaw to Glaslyn must have cost a bomb. Some years back i was talking to two guys from the then Upland Paths Partnership working on Cader Idris. At that date a single slabbed path was costing £100/metre. The Miners upgrade must have used at least 300 tonnes of granite @ £80/tonne plus helicopter delivery before thinking about skilled labour costs.

To bring all major paths in Snowdonia up to the standard required for the present visitor numbers will cost £milions

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:30:36, 02/08/17 »
If I remember rightly they put it at that price to cover the cost of the new buildings that were built a couple of years ago plus the expense of the miners path being tarmaced the other point is the revenues from the national park car parks goes to the national park authority not the council and I for one think it's money well spent

Thank you snakehips.  That seems like a much more sensible/rational reason  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy