Author Topic: East Yorkshire - Hornsea Mere Circuit  (Read 388 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
East Yorkshire - Hornsea Mere Circuit
« on: 20:22:48, 30/07/17 »
Had missen a nice little mellie-mooch this afternoon.  A half hour drive got me to Hornsea - a seaside town on the East Coast - for a 5.5 mile meander.  It felt good to be out with the rucksack on for a change rather than my local out of the door walks which require absolutely ZERO planning or preparation.

I arrived in glorious sunshine (good job cos I'd not packed my waterproofs  :-[  ) and got parked near the little playing field and swings that I used to come to as a kiddly-wink with my grandparents.  I decided to do the route anti-clockwise to get the boring and meh road walking out of the way first. 

One mile into the walk and the heavens opened.  Great!  Who's a numpty for forgetting her waterproofs then?  It was pretty much a head down trudge along the pavement for 2 miles, getting rained on from above and sprayed on from the side as cars whizzed past.  Not the most enjoyable part of this walk I have to say, though I did spot this fab and ace, cute little round cottage:

Image may contain: plant, tree, sky, house, grass, outdoor and nature

I finally turn off the main road onto the Wassand Estate:

Image may contain: tree, plant, grass, sky, outdoor and nature

There's plenty more signposts where that one came from, making it perfectly clear I was walking through private estate grounds.  It does make me chuckle cos you can pay to go round the house, you can pay to do the woodland walk, you can pay to visit the bird hide, but by heck, if you're caught enjoying a walk that isn't on the Bridleway or Public Rights of Way then you'll get a severe finger wagging and a fine if you haven't paid for the privilege... meh.  Apparently the estate is patrolled regularly... not on a Sunday it would seem  ;)   They have developed quite a cunning way to stop you wandering hither and thither though... cows.  Stick em in fields along their chosen fenced in footpath and you're hardly likely to choose to go in there  O0

Anyway, whinge over.  The sun had come out now and I was air-drying nicely until I reached this avenue of trees where the soggy leaves dripped all over me  ;D  :

Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

I wandered past this tree stump which looked like it had been struck by lightning at some point (but shhhhhh, don't tell them I wandered of the RoW to have a closer look - oh the shame and guilt.... NOT).

Image may contain: grass, tree, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

Ahh, that's a bit better.  I'm starting to feel like I'm doing a nice, leisurely countryside walk now:

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, grass, cloud, outdoor and nature

In case you can't tell, the heavens had opened again  ::)

I finally got off the Bridleway which was a bit too hard-surface-y under foot for my liking, particularly after all that road walking and wandered through a few fields which looked a lot like this:

Image may contain: sky, grass, plant, cloud, tree, mountain, outdoor and nature

At one point, ViewRange said I was walking at 22.2mph... I can only assume it was when I SPRINTED across this field:

Image may contain: tree, sky, grass, plant, outdoor and nature

There were moo-cows and babies, but I didn't spot a bull.  Nor did I stick to the RoW because they were all laid in front of the exit gate (why do they do that?).  I don't care that an earlier signpost told me to stick to the right of way for my own safety.  I'll be the judge of that thanks and walking through a herd of cattle, some heavily pregnant, some with babies and one of them could potentially be a bull?  Ram that for a game of cricket  :tickedoff:   

Fortunately, that was the only field where I had cattle to contend with and the rest of the walk was a pleasant stroll along field edges with quite good wildlife margins and I spotted lots of swallows, dragonflies and butterflies  :)

Considering this was a circuit of Hornsea Mere, I'd not spotted it yet apart from at the start, where I'd parked...until now:

Image may contain: cloud, sky, grass, tree, mountain, outdoor and nature

Hurraaaaahhhhhhh!  Only three-quarters of the way round my walk and FINALLY, I see the Mere  O0

The sun's out again, by the way  ::)

Can you spot the geese in this pic?:

Image may contain: sky, plant, tree, grass, cloud, outdoor and nature

I found a bench to perch on and admire views towards Hornsea over the elusive Mere:

Image may contain: cloud, sky, tree, grass, plant, outdoor, nature and water

The white lump in the middle of this next pic?....

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, grass, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

... It's a swan with it's head stuck in the water  ;D   timing is everything huh!!!

Mandatory signpost/board pic:

No automatic alt text available.

It always amazes me how these things know exactly where you are  ::)

A further bit of road walking and I was back at the car with a not one of my better Brew With A View pics:

Image may contain: outdoor

All in all, it was 5.5 miles.  I cut the walk short due to the rain at the beginning (and end but I got into my car before a final opening of the heavens).  I was a bit disappointed with the lack of views of the Mere but, on the whole, it was a lovely walk and it certainly beat sitting in house or doing housework on a Sunday afternoon  O0

Here's a little route map because I've figured out how to do screenshots on my GPS phone now:

No automatic alt text available.

Thanks for reading.

Mel  :)
« Last Edit: 20:30:12, 30/07/17 by Mel »
No expense spared in pursuit of a bargain ;)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: East Yorkshire - Hornsea Mere Circuit
« Reply #1 on: 21:12:09, 30/07/17 »
Nice to see somewhere I don't know.......... :)
but what is meh  :-\

harland

« Reply #2 on: 21:31:41, 30/07/17 »
Nice to see somewhere I don't know.......... :)
but what is meh  :-\
I didn't know either but from our "friend" Google:-
exclamation
1.expressing a lack of interest or enthusiasm.
"meh, I'm not impressed so far"

adjective: meh
1. uninspiring; unexceptional.
"a lot of his movies are meh"

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:09:30, 30/07/17 »
Lovely photos Mel, sounds like you had a good time despite the rain.

22.2mph you didn't fall off a cliff did you?

All this trespassing you are getting as bad as Barewirewalker.
Over hill, over dale. Thorough brush, thorough brier....
I do wander every where

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:24:12, 30/07/17 »
Enjoyed the entertaining trip report Mel    :)    The Mere looks beautiful

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:11:43, 30/07/17 »
Nice pics Mel...and I love the tunnel of trees! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:10:01, 31/07/17 »
Loved that, Mel, great pictures and write up - had me chuckling a few times.  ;D   I really like the picture of the geese, what a great angle!  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:45:06, 31/07/17 »
Cheers pleb - yes, harland is right, "meh" is a word used to describe something so uninspiring you can't be bothered to formulate an actual word  ;D

Glad you liked the report harland  :)

Ridge - are you having a larfff?  Cliffs?  Where I live?  :2funny:

Cheers Dovegirl - yes, at least the sun was out when I finally got my glimpse of it  :)

Cheers sunnydale - I could imagine trotting down there in my horse-drawn carriage in ye olden days  :)

Cheers adalard - those geese were doing a "Hilda Ogden" which is what I was trying to capture, but they turned their bottoms to me at the last minute  :-[

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:52:42, 01/08/17 »
I liked the 'avenue' of trees and you finally found Noddy's house.  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:17:51, 02/08/17 »
I loved that little round house Penygadair  :)   It's only downfall was that it was on a very busy main road.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:34:33, 03/08/17 »
The village of Veryan in Cornwall has five round houses like this.  These have thatched roofs and were built in the early 19th century.  It is said that they were built this way so that the devil could not hide in the corners.