Author Topic: Ground Sheet  (Read 1506 times)

RubberSoul

Ground Sheet
« on: 11:52:40, 03/08/17 »
Heya all,

Looking for some advice on tents. Myself and my buddy have got the shortlist down to two tents (Thanks to the advice from a forum member on going up one size for a 3p tent for use for two people, much appreciated). The two tents are very similar. Both have the bucket bath style inner. One comes with a ground sheet, the other doesn't. The one that doesn't looks to be the preferred choice, simply going on the way the tent opens up. That one is 600g lighter. Both are £250 give or take a fiver.

My question is about the ground sheet. If we got the second tent and simply brought an extra ground sheet, just in case it buckets it down, could we simply place it under the tent before pitching and guy it out seperately? -As it won't have prefixed attachment placings to the tent, like the first tent does. I'm guessing so, if so does it matter if the ground sheet floor area extends beyond the tent a little bit (as the company don't sell footprint groundsheets).

Any pointers to good ground sheets online welcome too.

Any help or advice welcome.
Rubber Soul

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: Ground Sheet
« Reply #1 on: 12:28:42, 03/08/17 »
Quick reply - if the groundsheet extends beyond the tent water run off from the tent will drip onto it, making for a very wet groundsheet.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:12:11, 03/08/17 »
It might be helpful if you named the two tent choices on your shortlist? There's not many tents made these days which don't have a custom footprint available for them.

Using a footprint or separate groundsheet is more about protecting the tent's own groundsheet on rough ground to help to stop it getting damaged or holed and most importantly keeping any mud, grass, leaves and twigs off the bottom of the tent's own groundsheet. That's something you will really appreciate when you come to pack it down and makes cleaning it after much easier.

As pointed out by Bhod it doesn't want extend beyond the tent for obvious reasons unless you like swimming in your sleep  ;D and ideally wants to be the same size and shape of the tent's own groundsheet and have the same pegging points - that's the reason custom footprints are sold.

You could make your own custom fitting one by cutting a slightly larger one to size (allow an extra couple of inches to double over for a hem) and use glue or gaffa tape and an eyelet kit. It's obviously far easier and less hassle to buy a ready made footprint if you can but they don't half know how to charge silly money for them!  >:(

RubberSoul

« Reply #3 on: 15:41:41, 03/08/17 »

Thanks for the tip about keeping the ground sheet from overflowing.

The two tents are:

MSR Elixir 3 (Comes with a ground sheet)

and

Ferrino Phantom 3 (Comes without a ground sheet)

The Ferrino internal tent max's out at 210x160 so If I get a groundsheet that came up a bit smaller than that (hemmed or off the shelf), I reckon I'd be alright.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:08:34, 03/08/17 »
 Of the two my personal choice would be the MSR Elixir 3 by a long way. It's a well known brand with a good reputation, you get the footprint included and there's also plenty of decent reviews to read. Available in green or grey.

I'm sure with a bit of shopping around you could beat the £250 price tag with a price match at Go Outdoors. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/msr-elixir-3-tent-p423984

If you don't mind it in grey the MSR Elixir 3 can be bought for £229.50 https://www.lakes-cycles.com/msr-elixir-3-2016 and if they have it in stock you could get a price match at Go Outdoors and get it for £206.55 or for £202.30 from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSR-Elixir-3-Man-Grey-Freestanding-Geodesic-Lightweight-Compact-Motorcycle-Tent-/331679916432  ;)

There's very little info available on the web for the Ferrino Phantom 3 so the quality is unknown and it's a brand name I've not come across before. It might just be me but I'm always wary when reviews are hard to find.
« Last Edit: 20:19:37, 03/08/17 by kinkyboots »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:13:06, 03/08/17 »
I have a Marmot Pulsar1P and its erected inner tent first, then outer tent over the top. No problem when its dry, but was difficult when I tried to erect when it was raining. My inner sleeping area became wet very quickly! A real pain!

Problem solved when I bought the tents footprint! It fits perfectly, if raining, I can now secure the outer tent to the footprint first, then I get under the outer tent in the dry and fit the inner tent. OK, I accept its a bit of a wiggle to do it this way but the important thing is that it WORKS!

My other tent is a Zoryphos 1 which has its inner tent already fitted, that's the other option. It also works but the tent is not as good as my Marmot, not enough internal space.

I do not know either of these tents but I can say from personal experience its not so good when you arrive on a site in the pouring rain, keeping everything dry, for me, is a priority!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:33:40, 03/08/17 »
We (beefy and myself) have a MSR Elixir 2, it is actually big enough for 2 people and comes with a groundsheet (footprint) if you want to use it. It is a very good tent, we are very impressed with it.
Hate will never win

Sloth

« Reply #7 on: 20:57:54, 03/08/17 »
You could buy a piece of tyvek membrane from e-bay and make your own footprint for about £10.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:32:07, 04/08/17 »
You could indeed but with my footprint all of the eyes are in the right place which then acts as a tensioner to erect the poles when I need to put up the outer tent first. My other groundsheet, suitable for any one man tent is just that, a groundsheet and no more.

Sloth

« Reply #9 on: 21:22:53, 04/08/17 »
I put eyelets in the tyvek and have some elastic cord that stretches to the pegs of my power lizard, the poles don't go through it and it serves mainly to protect the floor from punctures. A bath tub ground sheet for tarps or tents without floors made out of syl-nylon can be had for £45.00 off e-bay. This is about 4 inches deep and has elastic cord that can be adjusted to suit.

Pitboot

« Reply #10 on: 06:45:13, 07/08/17 »

I use a sheet of closed cell foam cut to size to put under my tent. It insulates, protects from sharp objects, fits inside the rucksack, and it's relatively cheap. Just slide it under the groundsheet before you peg out and it will stay put.
It's pretty durable too, I've had my sheets for seven years and they are still serviceable. I use the plural, in winter you can double up if you think it's going to be necessary.

http://www.needlesports.com/3463/products/beacons-products-tent-underlay-1-5m-wide-by-per-metre-length.aspx

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy