Author Topic: Hello from Jerry in Kent...  (Read 871 times)

JerryW

Hello from Jerry in Kent...
« on: 10:46:32, 05/08/17 »
Hi All

So.. when I retired I took it into my head that I wanted to walk along the Pyrenees from Hendaye to Banyuls. No idea why the thought came to me, though I do love France. I was all set to book a flight when I thought "Hold on a mo, you haven't ever walked more than ten miles at a stretch in your life, have you?" So I thought I should perhaps do a bit of practice first. I bought some kit and walked along the:

Greensand Way
North Downs Way
South Downs Way
Ridgeway
Wealdway, and finally the
Pennine Way.

Then I set about the Pyrenees, finally completing the HRP on my fourth visit in 2015. Since then I have done all of the above a second time, either varying the route or starting from the other end. And a few others too, like the Snowdonia Way and Beacons Way.

For the Pyrenees I started a blog, and it now covers the Snowdonia Way and North Downs Way as well.. I can't post a link but you can find it if you are interested by googling "hrp and beyond" blogspot.

I wish I had started walking much earlier! I am 67 now and some bits (my knees!) are starting to creak a bit.
I recommend doing a blog, if you do a long walk. It acts as a nice diary for future reference as well perhaps as aiding others. It can be a bit of a fag at the time, however.
I also run a local walking group here in mid-Kent, google: linton kent walking
« Last Edit: 10:51:10, 05/08/17 by JerryW »
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello from Jerry in Kent...
« Reply #1 on: 11:09:13, 05/08/17 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
No time to read your blog now, I'm just going out for a walk, but will investigate later.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:56:45, 05/08/17 »
Hello, Hello Jerry. Guess who? Reg Edmunds. we met on the GR10 in the Pyrenees in 2015 and finished it together with a young French hiker. I hope you are well. I've been on the Forum for some time and really enjoy it. I don't know why but seeing your name suddenly bought back memories of my problems with pigs, being biffed by a cow and of course my hernia! All better now thank goodness

Since I last emailed you I have hike part of the GR4 from Grasse and the Pennine Journey and a few shorter ones.

I visited my family in Maidstone this morning and then visited my Mothers grave in Linton Church whilst I was there. Linton is still looking good!
Welcome!

JerryW

« Reply #3 on: 20:15:16, 07/08/17 »
Hi Reg

Good to hear from you.. and glad you are still walking OK!
In case you are interested a friend of mine, Erin Saver, has just today finished walking the HRP. She did it in 36 days! I can't post links but you can google "walking with wired" and you will find it easily
.. she is starting the GR5 in a day or two. She walked the Te Aroa earlier this year.. she is one of the world's best hikers I think
Regards
Jerry

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:49:28, 08/08/17 »
Hi Jerry and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

JerryW

« Reply #5 on: 16:54:59, 08/08/17 »
Hi Tracey

having been born in Sheffield, I have spent lots of time in and around Derbyshire. And Kinder Scout, Bleaklow and Black Hill are among my favourite bits of the Pennine way. Lots of nice peat bogs :-)

J

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy