Author Topic: Leave them to die!  (Read 7530 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Leave them to die!
« Reply #30 on: 19:18:39, 09/08/17 »
An entertaining thread. 

I don't ever recall feeling threatened in the hills.  So I do find it difficult to empathise with people who go out unprepared and then call upon others to help them recover from a situation, that a walker with even a modicum of experience and common sense would get them selves out of. 

I have felt threatened when out surfing winter waves alone and I recall one winters evening when I went out in treacherous conditions. Unbeknown to me a friend had been watching me and lost sight of me in the large seas. When I returned to shore a chap on the beach asked my name and explained the coast guard were out looking for me.  A little bemused and slightly em-barest I thanked them and headed home.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:26:02, 09/08/17 »
I agree totally with Penygadir, well written you three.

DA has no basic understanding of "consequences" or any empathy for fellow human beings, as can be witnessed in many of his postings. His ability to read is also open to question when we witness his many diversions from topic. However he has great command of the "EDIT" button where he changes what he originally wrote. I have no doubt we will witness that gain today!

I pity what he must think of those fell runners Jos Naylor or Joe Whitter, hardly dressed for the occasion or are they and their like  somehow exempt from his stupid remarks?

Ridge thank you for your display of common sense and empathy.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:30:43, 09/08/17 »
Just wondering. Has Llandudnoboy been abandoned to die somewhere on the Snowdon Ranger path?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 20:17:37, 09/08/17 »
If he did he's risen from the ashes as DA  O0
Where there's a will ...

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:39:15, 09/08/17 »
Just wondering. Has Llandudnoboy been abandoned to die somewhere on the Snowdon Ranger path?
Ha ha ha! Post of the week!  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #35 on: 09:20:44, 10/08/17 »
Thank you Ridge for writing what, I hope, most of us are thinking  O0

As Lakeland Lorry says it was extremely cold on Sunday, we were saying to each other it was like winter and not summer, the weather was worse than forecast and we had gloves, hat/hoods on too when we were on Seat Sandal summit in the morning. We said hello to Lakeland Lorry on her way up. Thanks to the 2 walkers, Tony and Jen, who came across the group in trouble in the shelter and called the MRT because they knew it was serious and thanks to the other 4 lads who stopped to help too.

I hope you enjoyed your walk Lakeland Lorry, nice to see you again  :)

Yes, we did thanks.   It wasn't the walk we planned, but I'm glad we changed it, given the weather.   It's a few years since I was last up on Seat Sandal and I forgot what a fantastic view there is from it.   

No doubt we'll bump into each other again, on some fell soon.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 09:42:17, 10/08/17 »

Quote from some ancient predecessor of Walking Forum......
Up on Haystacks at the weekend, the weather was absolutely terrible, cold, windy and chucking it down.  I met this old chap at the top, sheltering behind a rock. Don't know what he was thinking, he was just dressed in old tweeds, absolutely soaking wet, trying to write something in a notebook but his hands were obviously too cold to hold the pen properly.  I asked if he had any waterproof gear with him, and he said he hated plastic macs, they just blew around in the wind.  I asked him his name, and I think he said something like Wainwright, but I couldn't hear properly, he was mumbling, obviously in the early stages of hypothermia and losing the plot,  even his pipe was upside down!  I offered him help to get safely down to the valley, and he was really quite rude, so in the end I left him to it.
I hope he got down ok, but really anyone so obviously ill-equipped and inexperienced shouldn't be allowed on the hills!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 12:50:02, 10/08/17 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Stube

« Reply #38 on: 13:47:35, 10/08/17 »
Q
I too have seen people totally ill-equipped for the conditions in which we're walking but since when has stupidity and perhaps thoughtlessness been punishable by death?

A: For the vast majority of my walking life. Before the mobile phone you either got yourself out of trouble or you died. When walking the hills, unless you were in a tourist hotspot such as Snowdonia or the Lakes you never met anyone all day. As a youngster growing up in the Peak District, it was drummed into me that the hill were dangerous - 2/3 people died there most years.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 14:28:44, 10/08/17 »
Quote from some ancient predecessor of Walking Forum......
Up on Haystacks at the weekend, the weather was absolutely terrible, cold, windy and chucking it down.  I met this old chap at the top, sheltering behind a rock. Don't know what he was thinking, he was just dressed in old tweeds, absolutely soaking wet, trying to write something in a notebook but his hands were obviously too cold to hold the pen properly.  I asked if he had any waterproof gear with him, and he said he hated plastic macs, they just blew around in the wind.  I asked him his name, and I think he said something like Wainwright, but I couldn't hear properly, he was mumbling, obviously in the early stages of hypothermia and losing the plot,  even his pipe was upside down!  I offered him help to get safely down to the valley, and he was really quite rude, so in the end I left him to it.
I hope he got down ok, but really anyone so obviously ill-equipped and inexperienced shouldn't be allowed on the hills!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That really is in keeping with old codger, who made it quite plain to me, as I was adorned slings threaded with hexagon nuts (assorted sizes), carabiners and PA's around my neck, outside the ODG or was it the NDG, sometime in the early 1960's that I, and my sort were not welcome on those mountains.

I had been on the front end of the a stretcher that had a dying man, as we raced from pillar Rock to the nearest place an ambulance could be then reached, a few days before. Should we not choose to hasten to aid, some bad tempered old so and so because kit is out of date?  Could have been tempting in that instance.

Perhaps if I took a peeler today on the kit I then used, and not glossy steel cable with manufacturer's gismos I might be so judged.

A professional seaman does not judge when there is a person in distress at sea, be it professional or amateur. There is there, a tradition of compassion, which was also reflected in the attitudes of climbers and mountaineers when I first visited the hills.

Where Have all the flowers gone, long time passing.

Flowers, I though in that song stood in for many other things, compassion? Morals? Past values perhaps  ::)

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 10:36:43, 11/08/17 »
Excellent post Ridge.

We went up High Cup Nick on Sunday from Dufton.  The weather turned much colder than expected in the afternoon as we were making our way back down the valley.  Bitter wind and rain forced us to wrap up.  We noticed a family of four following us.  They seemed ill prepared, and I remember thinking " those kids are not going to like this bog we have to walk through in those traineers".

Anyhoo, after a couple of miles we reached the road back to Dufton and they caught up with us.  Apparently they had just decided to follow us, with not much idea of where they were or where we were going (Dad was using a phone it seems).  They lost us at one point and started to get worried.

Thing is, they got back, safe and sound.  Just like most of us have when we've taken a wrong turn, made a wrong decision, or just completely screwed up.  We all make mistakes, and sometimes a little help is needed to get us out of hot water (or freezing temperatures).  And I don't think the family that followed us will do anything quite so foolish again.

I just wonder if I would have realised those four people on top of Helvellyn needed help, or if I would have just have walked on by.  I suspect (due mostly to ignorance), it would be the latter. 

How do you recognise hypothermia in others?
« Last Edit: 10:46:14, 11/08/17 by dittzzy »

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 11:18:47, 11/08/17 »
I heard that you think of the 'umbles' to recognise hypothermia. Mumble, bumble around, tumble over, fumble with things, jumble words up and so on.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 14:50:41, 11/08/17 »
That's as good as any.  It's one we use when teaching it  O0
Where there's a will ...

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 17:54:35, 13/08/17 »
The people who annoy me are the ones who call out the emergency services when they get lost and then don't bother to tell anyone when they find their own way back, as happened on Dartmoor this weekend.

http://www.dsrtashburton.org.uk/multiple-agencies-in-search-for-lost-walkers/

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 17:03:15, 25/08/17 »
The people who annoy me are the ones who call out the emergency services when they get lost and then don't bother to tell anyone when they find their own way back, as happened on Dartmoor this weekend.

http://www.dsrtashburton.org.uk/multiple-agencies-in-search-for-lost-walkers/

We actually have one of the rescue team staying with us at the moment. We were discussing this very incident a few minutes ago and I said I'd read some horror stories in this forum.
~
Sue

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy