Author Topic: Day breaker walk: Climbing Skiddaw at half six on a Sunday morning  (Read 1413 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Seven years ago I got a boat cruise across Derwent water and, pointing at the highest mountain in front of us, I asked the driver 'what's that mountain called?' He replied 'Skiddaw'. Ever since that day I've always wanted to climb Skiddaw. In November 2013 I had a failed attempt when, upon reaching Skiddaw little man, thick cloud came down and prevented me from obtaining the summit of Skiddaw. Staying in Keswick over last week-end, the opportunity presented itself. After returning to my hotel on Saturday from Patterdale I checked the weather forecast for Sunday. Met office was predicting 50% rain shower at 11am but very good visibility before then. Heavy rain was forecasted for Sunday afternoon. The brain wave came on Saturday night. I'll ask the hotel staff if I could have breakfast 1.5 hours before the usual time. They agreed it was fine. So, after two bowls of frosties, I set off shortly after 6.30am. Heading northwards, I picked up the CW to a small car park near Latrigg. I followed the tourist route up to Skiddaw Little Man. There was no wind to start with but the higher up I got, the stronger the wind blew. I stood in awe of the panorama from the Little man which is actually a better summit than Skiddaw IMHO. After a few photos I continued onto Skiddaw's main summit. I arrived at the summit at 9am; there was no one else. As I looked towards the Solway Firth I saw rain clouds forming in the distance. I dropped down behind Little Man and picked up the tourist track. I got back to Keswick near 11am. The first rain shower came on at 1110 am when I was sitting in cafe with a cream bun and caramel latte. Timed to perfection. O0  Total distance was 11 miles.

NW fells from the start of the tourist track:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, cloud, outdoor and nature

Zoom-in on Coledale fells:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor and nature

Clough Head and the Dodds:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

Central and eastern fells from Little Man:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor and nature

Little Man panorama:

Little Man panorama:

Little man, Dodds:
Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, outdoor and nature

Bassenthwaite Lake and Ullock Pike ridge from Skiddaw:

Blencathra, Lonscale fell and Little man from Skiddaw:
Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, outdoor and nature

Derwent water, taken on the descent of Skiddaw:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

NW fells:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

Walla crag, Bleaberry and the Dodds:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

Derwent water and NW fells:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

Coledale and Newlands valley fells:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, grass, tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Eastern fells and Latrigg:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, grass, tree, cloud, outdoor and nature

Coledale fells:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, cloud, tree, outdoor and nature

Ridge

• Veteran Member
That must be the time to do it Henry, I've never been up there without there being at least a few people whatever the weather.

April

• Veteran Member
Nice pics henry and you are right the view is better from Little Man  :)

We were in Patterdale on Saturday, getting wet! We only just got a seat on the 208 bus from Keswick! did you do any walking in Patterdale? Be good to see your pics.
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
Great pictures, Henry.  O0

We've only been up Skiddaw the once and when we got to the top we were in cloud (the opposite of the forecast) so we missed out on those marvellous views across to the Coledale and the Newlands fells.

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies folks :)
@ April - I finished my walk on Saturday in Patterdale. My route was Hartsop - Boardale Hause - Place fell - Ulswater way - Patterdale. Did you get the 208 from Keswick at 930am? If you did, you would have been on the same bus that I got. :)

karl h

• Veteran Member
Excellent tr and pics Henry O0
Great idea to beat the crowds as well ;)

April

• Veteran Member
Henry we were on that bus, we were last in the queue and got the last 2 seats. We would have said hello if we had known you were on it!
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member

Great pics henry ...  O0

Henry we were on that bus, we were last in the queue and got the last 2 seats. We would have said hello if we had known you were on it!

shame we didnt meet you henry  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member

Phew.. close shave there Henry ;D

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
There's planning and there's proper accurate planning, well done Henry  O0 O0

You walk at a fair old pace and manage to take lots of nice pictures  ;D

Beautiful countryside!

Regards Keith

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy