Author Topic: new waterproof jacket and pants  (Read 2691 times)

dinger

new waterproof jacket and pants
« on: 21:14:38, 11/08/17 »

Went walking stickle tarn for 4 and half hours today and the rain was relentless. I was absoulute soaked .
recomendations please don't really want to pay more then £100 for waterproof jacket and 60 for trousers.

Alan Kilroy

Re: new waterproof jacket and pants
« Reply #1 on: 06:35:13, 12/08/17 »
Just received in the post yesterday a pair of Berghaus Deluge trousers, much recommended on here. Not tried but seem to fit all the criteria needed for a wet hike.
No pockets though, no issues. two way three quarter zip, press studs, elasticated waist with drawcord onn side, three different leg lengths.
Cheap.  :)

jethro10

« Reply #2 on: 08:38:50, 12/08/17 »
My wife's are Berghaus Deluge (quite old) I have Sprayway ones. I prefer mine as the Berghaus has inner leg zips with external press stud's. To adjust cooling, she has to open the stud's, move the zip, re fix the stud.
Mine is the other way round, so all I do is adjust the zip as necessary. Much easier.
J

Sloth

« Reply #3 on: 08:49:14, 12/08/17 »
Berghaus deluge rain trousers, Marmot Precip jacket. (if you want a summer jacket).

Donnie

« Reply #4 on: 09:18:02, 12/08/17 »
Just looking at the precip reviews on GO Outdoors, not very inspiring:-(

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:40:14, 12/08/17 »
I would suggest that you will probably need to revise your budget upwards for the jacket and slightly downwards for the trousers to find anything that will be effective.

This recent review of Lightweight Waterproof Shells might be worth reading https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=9159 There's a couple mentioned which may be worth a closer look although you will need to shop around for the best available prices.

These guides might also be worth reading
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advice/waterproof-jackets-guide
http://knowledge.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/waterproof-buying-guide/

As already mentioned you won't go far wrong with the Berghaus Deluge Overtrousers which are excellent value for money and do get regularly recommended on here. Depending on size they're currently on amazon from £25 upwards although the price has been down as low as £18 in recent flash sales. The reason the stormflap with the pressstuds is on the outside of the zip on these is to protect the zip and to help to keep them waterproof in adverse weather conditions.

If you add a decent pair of Gore-Tex or eVent gaiters to the jacket and trousers you should be good to go.

Also remember that Go Outdoors will price match and beat any other UK VAT registered seller by 10% who has the same item in the same size and colour in stock. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/price-guarantee

jethro10

« Reply #6 on: 11:07:35, 12/08/17 »
. The reason the stormflap with the pressstuds is on the outside of the zip on these is to protect the zip and to help to keep them waterproof in adverse weather conditions.

The Sprayway ones never leak, it may get to the guttering on the internal flap and run down, I don't know. I just never get wet. They are far easier, it's a worthwhile bonus.

J

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:36:12, 12/08/17 »
Forget brand loyalty, or being seen with the right label.
Peter Storm or Regatta are great examples of companies who manufacture some high quality waterproofs, at sensible prices.
My friend who lives in Barmouth, has a Peter Storm waterproof, and comparing it with one of my older Mountain Equipment jackets, its well made, and performs really well in bad weather.

Just because a certain manufacturer, produces waterproofs, at the other end of the market, does not necessarily make them an inferior product.

You have sensibly set a decent budget for your clothing, so check out the sensibly priced clothing.

dinger

« Reply #8 on: 12:07:12, 12/08/17 »
Your correct I was walking with a friend yesterday with the bad rain and he had a pair or berghaus which he paid £150 for and was almost has wet has mine which were a lot cheaper.

dinger

« Reply #9 on: 12:12:19, 12/08/17 »
Thanks everyone, ive just going to collect my Berghaus deluge trousers, go outdoors £55 with discount card so I found them at £35 from gaynors ambleside. So I sent fill in form on go out doors price match plus 10% extra off and they have just accepted to sell for £31 . Bargain!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:15:28, 12/08/17 »
Many walkers unfortunately, would not even consider clothing made by Peter Storm or similar company.
They see the often bargain price being advertised, and think it must be the poor relation of a waterproof costing hundreds more.
If you have the money, by all means get a jacket by the big names, but thinking a jacket costing well under a hundred, cannot be any good, is an opportunity missed.

Brand cu dos, is all that matters to most walkers, not being ripped off for hundreds of pounds, is more important to me.

Alan Kilroy

« Reply #11 on: 16:58:17, 12/08/17 »
Just had a swift look at Regatta website.........eh......for example, waterproof jackets, choice of 64, only  :D . From £17.45 to £75.
I think that's a bit off putting or maybe odd??
Might be just me though...... :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:05:50, 12/08/17 »
Regattas Thornbridge waterproof, looks decent enough, and sensibly priced at £75.
After all, if it keeps the rain away, its enough to spend.
The wrong badge on your front, may be enough to put off lots of customers, but if truth was told, the jacket is probably made in the same factory as far more expensive gear.

Sloth

« Reply #13 on: 18:08:41, 12/08/17 »
Hi Donnie, can only speak for my experience with the Marmot Precipe. Its been a great summer jacket, light, waterproof and durable. Wash and proof with nikwax and its like new. The pit zips are great, plenty of ventilation. Better reviews on Amazon?

jethro10

« Reply #14 on: 18:20:34, 12/08/17 »
Hi Donnie, can only speak for my experience with the Marmot Precipe. Its been a great summer jacket, light, waterproof and durable. Wash and proof with nikwax and its like new. The pit zips are great, plenty of ventilation. Better reviews on Amazon?
It's the one I'm taking with me tomorrow! Hopefully not needed though.
I used to take a Rab but decided I prefer the Marmot. You can pick them up for £60-70.

This has strayed into brand loyalty and price. My take over the years, originally being a novice was to buy big brand, but now I know better I but as cheap as I can get for a product that works reliably. Nothing like catching a £300 big brand jacket on a barbed wire fence or similar to remind me how stupid an idea buying into vanity for walking can be.
J

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy