Author Topic: Satmap Problems  (Read 2384 times)

neo1966

Satmap Problems
« on: 14:32:26, 12/08/17 »
Has anyone had any issues with their Satmap 12 Expedition software? I have had mine for about 9 months and been very pleased with the unit. However, about 3 - 4 months ago the route planning software developed faults. I cannot now save an image of the elevation profile of my walk or save a screen shot of the overall route map. Then about a month or so ago, the search feature on the xpedition planner map has also stopped working. I have emailed Satmap twice about the first problems, both times I have had a reply saying that these are 'known problems and that they are being worked on by their development team'. I am wondering how long these issues will take as no one at Satmap has said! I was wondering if anyone else out there has had similar difficulties? 

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Satmap Problems
« Reply #1 on: 19:50:42, 13/08/17 »
Not a Satmap 12, but I had lots of problems with the satmap 10. I gave up on it and brought a Garmin.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:52:52, 15/08/17 »
No problems with mine apart from the occasional button breaking off. As regards the software in Expedition, Ive never used that to save anything, just to plot and load routes that's all.

John Murphy

« Reply #3 on: 16:56:44, 20/08/17 »
Has anyone had any issues with their Satmap 12 Expedition software? I have had mine for about 9 months and been very pleased with the unit. However, about 3 - 4 months ago the route planning software developed faults. I cannot now save an image of the elevation profile of my walk or save a screen shot of the overall route map. Then about a month or so ago, the search feature on the xpedition planner map has also stopped working. I have emailed Satmap twice about the first problems, both times I have had a reply saying that these are 'known problems and that they are being worked on by their development team'. I am wondering how long these issues will take as no one at Satmap has said! I was wondering if anyone else out there has had similar difficulties?

This problem has nothing to do with your Satmap 12 unit. Or are you talking about route planning on the unit? That is a different matter.

Personally, I never bother using their online "Expedition software" Better to use a third party mapping software on your own PC.  

As for a previous post the satmap units have a big problem with the buttons falling off. Have had a 10 unit since when they first was put on the market. Had to have buttons replaced at least 8 times and the cost is heavy! Now I use duck tape over them and this cures the problem. Although nowadays a Garmin is a better option IMHO.  

neo1966

« Reply #4 on: 21:16:14, 20/08/17 »
Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I did mean the online software, which third party mapping software would you suggest? Any advice on this would be much appreciated, thanks.

John Murphy

« Reply #5 on: 22:43:13, 20/08/17 »
Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I did mean the online software, which third party mapping software would you suggest? Any advice on this would be much appreciated, thanks.

The 3 main software products are Memory Map, Anquet and QUO2. I have all 3 ;D . They all are OK but work slightly differently. Best bet is to download their software and any free mapping and have a play about. When you find one that you can get on with buy some mapping. You should be able to get full UK 1:50000 for under £50.

An afterthought. Try Garmins Basecamp that is free and if you look on the internet free UK mapping can be can had. There is a link somewhere on this forum that will take you to the necessary site. Plus the mapping is nearly on a par with the OS mapping you buy! You can then tranfer routes, track etc to the Satmap as gpx files. Your unit will convert them to .map files.
« Last Edit: 22:54:23, 20/08/17 by John Murphy »

neo1966

« Reply #6 on: 22:49:14, 20/08/17 »
Thank you very much for the information. I will have a look at them  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy