Author Topic: Walker rescued from 'precarious position'  (Read 2458 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Walker rescued from 'precarious position'
« on: 14:39:17, 12/08/17 »
The photos in this report absolutely horrify me!
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/08/08/fresh-sharp-edge-warning-after-walker-rescued-from-precarious-position

Click on the pictures to make them larger. The second one in particular really puts the situation in perspective.

The guy is described as a walker, note, not a climber. Why on earth did he try and go down that side of the mountain?

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Re: Walker rescued from 'precarious position'
« Reply #1 on: 15:40:22, 12/08/17 »
Definite change of underpants.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:56:04, 12/08/17 »
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/08/08/fresh-sharp-edge-warning-after-walker-rescued-from-precarious-position

Click on the pictures to make them larger. The second one in particular really puts the situation in perspective.

The guy is described as a walker, note, not a climber. Why on earth did he try and go down that side of the mountain?

It shows that people do not think clearly under those circumstances and optimism or panic can lead to bad decisions. If it was easier to go up and down the sides of Sharp Edge than along it then people would do it and there would be a path.
Had a similar situation in Spain once - we were doing a ridge route which we had noted on the way up was bounded by cliffs on both sides. When we could not get any further with the gear we had, we turned back. Our "qualified" leader decided we should drop off the side to get to a track he could see further down. We sat on the ridge and left him to it. After 15min he reappeared saying "there's a cliff down there!" That'll be the one we saw on the way up" says I. So we retreated the way we had came.
Solvitur Ambulando

thomasdevon

« Reply #3 on: 17:56:50, 12/08/17 »
A really scarey place to find yourself in.

What would be very enlightening would be the victim's train of thoughts that told him to go that way. Assuming he was not impaired due to exhaustion etc. But he clearly couldn't have wandered into that position by accident, e.g  in poor visibility. This sort of thing rarely comes through in the news reports but could be very illuminating for us lot.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:22:56, 12/08/17 »

I wondered if the friend he went out with, and somehow "lost" was the one who habitually did all the navigation.

Armchair Hiker

« Reply #5 on: 19:42:06, 12/08/17 »
Do you think NT or LDNP or who ever is in charge of the land just before any of these dangerous hot spots should place warning boards nearby with some "suggestions" of latest time of the day those out of the area or new to the fells should attempt these and what gear they need in the case of emergency.

Hope that guy made a donation to KMR!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:01:06, 12/08/17 »
Very scary.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #7 on: 11:40:24, 14/08/17 »
Placing warning signs before so called dangerous hot spots has been discussed many times, on various forums, over the years and there's never been a general consensus. 

I personally don't believe that they would make any difference, as I think the vast majority of people would ignore them.   I've lost count of the number of times I've been descending, wearing full waterproofs and have passed others heading up the same fell in a pair of joggers and a t-shirt.   Do they look at me and think that I'm wearing full waterproofs for the fun of it?!?   What goes through their mines at times like that?   

Perhaps the outdoor magazines could do more to warn Joe Blog Public.   I very seldom read outoor magazines, so I don't know if they do publish any information on how to stay safe in the mountains. 

thomasdevon

« Reply #8 on: 12:37:06, 14/08/17 »

I like to think I would have a quiet word of advice for anyone I saw heading up onto north Dartmoor where I hike who was clearly in the wrong gear. Its not likely to be put to the test though as I avoid getting up there on high days and holidays.

I wonder if anyone using this board has tried it ever and what the reaction was?

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #9 on: 12:55:06, 14/08/17 »
I like to think I would have a quiet word of advice for anyone I saw heading up onto north Dartmoor where I hike who was clearly in the wrong gear. Its not likely to be put to the test though as I avoid getting up there on high days and holidays.

I wonder if anyone using this board has tried it ever and what the reaction was?

I've tried it many times in the past, but all I've got is replies such as:  "Oh, we'll be OK", or "Yeah, I know, the weather is pretty bad isn't it".    So I don't bother saying anything now, unless there are children involved.   Even then, the parents get very indignant if you say anything to them.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:07:14, 14/08/17 »
 Its the reason why all fell walkers should aquire some basic climbing skills.These days basic training courses are run by various organisations so its not difficult for people to get training.In the old days, sixties/seventies,a lot of us started with rock climbing and took up walking later so all the survival skills were already in place.I would suggest the problem in this incident was the guy's head rather than the terrain as he lost it and panic set in.If he had thought things through in a clear manner he could have gone back up maintaining three point contact during every move and got back on the ridge safely.

Its not warning notices that are required but rather an increase in skill levels to combat any hazards the walker/climber might face.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:16:14, 14/08/17 »
Not keen on the idea of teaching basic climbing skills to walkers. I think they would not practice those skills often enough to to be competent but might acquire a perceived confidence which might cause them to try routes/escapes beyond their capacity. Also of course, it is unlikely they would have any climbing equipment with them.

This particular case seems to have been weather related. Maybe if a warning notice about the danger of the route included a "have you checked the weather forecast" type warning, this might cause some to think twice. Of course, there will always be "numpties"!

Having climbed Sharp Edge several times, I would only ever try it in good conditions and following a good forecast but if caught unexpectedly, I think it is safer to go up than down, then find a safer, even if longer way down.

thomasdevon

« Reply #12 on: 15:36:59, 14/08/17 »
As a lone hiker, I don't intend to climb anything. In fact I have given up routes that demand even scrambling - e.g. Steeperton Gorge, north Dartmoor.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:02:24, 14/08/17 »
Quite simply some people get themselves into tricky situation because they go to places unsuitable for their limited experience. It's like they are in a rush rather than allowing themselves to evolve gradually based on a firm foundation of hillcraft.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:55:03, 16/08/17 »
There's a low-level path on the north side, maybe he was trying to get down to that.

I agree warning signs would probably be ignored.  Looking at the thing should be enough of a warning sign.....
Not all those who wander are lost

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy