Author Topic: Leg pain - shin splints !  (Read 817 times)

Moon Raker

Leg pain - shin splints !
« on: 14:23:26, 14/08/17 »
Hello

I was out walking on Saturday, carrying a pack as I am trying to build up weight carrying for multi day trail walking, at the 15k point I developed a pain in my lower right leg above the ankle, managed to get back to civilisation ok. However the lower leg was starting to swell and the muscle on the right of the shin started to discolour to a light brown colour up to just below the knee.

The muscle on the right of the shin bone from the ankle to the knee is warm to touch and when I flex the muscle there was a sensation of grinding or like sandpaper moving over the flexing muscle

Seems to have eased off today and the pain has almost gone, my right leg is the one I put most weight on and I also walk and wear down the outside of the right sole

Any one had this before - I am thinking shin splints -

Moon raker

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Leg pain - shin splints !
« Reply #1 on: 19:13:13, 14/08/17 »
I had what I thought was shin splints in my running (not very well but long distances) days.  I believe that shin splints occur when you increase mileage significantly, not just one day but over a week/month.  What I thought was shin splints was actually a hairline fracture so it is probably worth going to A&E but they told me (perhaps they didn't like me or they were busy) that an x-ray wouldn't show up a hairline fracture so they took my foot and bent my leg - when I said something can't recall the exact words but it was stronger than "ouch that hurt" they confirmed it was a hairline fracture.  However the only thing to do was to rest it whilst having a stocking type bandage over it.  But if I had continued running it would have broken properly!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:16:59, 14/08/17 »
I'd agree with harland.  One leg swelling and discoloured? Get to the docs  O0

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:42:57, 15/08/17 »
Hello

The muscle on the right of the shin bone from the ankle to the knee is warm to touch and when I flex the muscle there was a sensation of grinding or like sandpaper moving over the flexing muscle

Any one had this before - I am thinking shin splints -

Moon raker

Sounds like an inflamed tendon scratching inside its sheath,possibly the anterior tibial tendon.When you walk do you have a tendancy to hold your toes up,kind of flexing the ankle? When I was race walking this was a common kind of injury that was mainly caused by the race walkers gait rather than lack of fitness/conditioning.Next time you do a walk concentrate on keeping the ankle relaxed and see it makes things a bit easier.
« Last Edit: 13:40:06, 15/08/17 by tonyk »

Moon Raker

« Reply #4 on: 15:26:19, 15/08/17 »
Sounds like an inflamed tendon scratching inside its sheath,possibly the anterior tibial tendon.When you walk do you have a tendancy to hold your toes up,kind of flexing the ankle? When I was race walking this was a common kind of injury that was mainly caused by the race walkers gait rather than lack of fitness/conditioning.Next time you do a walk concentrate on keeping the ankle relaxed and see it makes things a bit easier.

Thanks you are spot on there, I went to the local minor injuries unit, the came to a similar conclusion although not quite specific as inflamed tendon, told me to rest it for a couple of weeks.

As I have in the past broken the right leg (Tib & Fib) on a couple of occasions and had it pinned at one time the left leg is marginally shorter - so the right leg is the one that takes all the weight etc when walking

Thanks again

Moon Raker

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy