Author Topic: resection  (Read 1129 times)

dinger

resection
« on: 18:39:29, 14/08/17 »

I went out last week and sort of went off the tracks to attempt resection, but not 100% sure how it works . Can anyone show me a link for instructions for using resection if lost please?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: resection
« Reply #2 on: 19:24:54, 14/08/17 »
The only problem with resection is the need to identify two points! Often that's not possible.
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:27:00, 14/08/17 »
... like in poor visibility ...

dinger

« Reply #4 on: 19:40:58, 14/08/17 »
Yeah true but its just another tick in the navigation skills I'm learning.

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:30:38, 16/08/17 »
Resections are really good training exercises - Once you can do them and narrow your location down to a good, verifiable point on a map you can normally assume that you're OK with bearings. A lot of people while I was training used to tell me that they're useless because when you know 2 or 3 known points then you know where you are - true but when you know those points then by performing a good resection you know where you are with far less error

I'd agree with others on this thread - if you can do a resection then you have a lot of other stuff nailed.

The most useful thing I learnt when starting off doing resections is: You are NOT the known point on the map, the point you are looking at IS. To perform a resection from that known point to YOU, you must draw the line from that point and not TO it, usually by +/- 180 to simulate looking down the bearing from the known point rather than to it.

Roy  O0
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:24:52, 16/08/17 »
For accuracy maybe also a Prismatic Compass. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy