Author Topic: The best torso clothing combination?  (Read 1568 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
The best torso clothing combination?
« on: 19:13:33, 20/08/17 »
When I next go walking I want to make an improvement to the torso clothing that I wear. I want to be warm when necessary, I want to be able to cool down when I get hot and I want it all to be lightweight and not bulky.

In all the years I have been hiking I feel that I have never got my torso clothing as right as I would like it to be.

I like to wear a baselayer (long sleeves as instructed by my moles consultant) either merino, bamboo or synthetic. Given a choice I prefer the bamboo. I also like the comfort of a shirt on top. I'm happy with these two layers.

My waterproof jacket is a Paramo Alta 2 which I use in the cooler and colder months of the year and a Marmot Precip when its warm. I also wear a Vaude poncho from time to time. The Marmot Precip has got to go soon because it now leaks around the head area and I now often, get a wet back.

My problem has always been, what to wear in between my shirt and my waterproof jacket?

If I may ask, what combination of clothing do you use? For example, do you wear a specific item of clothing to shield you from cold wind, or do you use your waterproof jacket for this? Do you feel you have solved your torso clothing requirements, or are you like me, always feeling a bit dissatisfied with what you decide to take with you?

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: The best torso clothing combination?
« Reply #1 on: 19:39:46, 20/08/17 »
I have a Rab Vapour rise vest, very thin fleece inside and pertex outer. Helps keep the wind off without being too hot. I virtually live in it. 

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:14:31, 20/08/17 »
You might find a few ideas for replacing your Marmot PreCip Jacket amongst the reviews below but if you've been happy with it why not just buy another?

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=9159

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-rain-jacket

For the rest consider buying a micro fleece to wear over your shirt under your jacket and a Paramo gilet to put on over your jacket and you might also want to consider adding a Paramo Fuera windproof or similar windshirt - all three items can of course also be worn on their own without a jacket. With these items you will have a complete multifunctional layering system which you can easily adjust to suit differing conditions and none of them weigh much or take up much room in your pack.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:04:33, 20/08/17 »
My weapons of choice are baselayer and windshirt.  I have a thin fleece if I need a bit of insulation and the rain gear stays in my rucksack unless it's actually raining.  Winter sees me with a thicker fleece and/or my insulated jacket.  Waterproofs still stay in the pack unless it's actually raining.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:02:03, 21/08/17 »

I tend to go with a merino base layer in winter (though I have a coconut/merino one I like as well), a fleece and a paramo jacket.  I also have one of those paramo gilets for when I stop/get cold.
In summer I alternate a couple of sprayway polygiene teeshirts, got them cheap somewhere years ago and will be heartbroken when they wear out, a thinner fleece and a paclite jacket which hopefully stays in the rucksack.  These combinations have worked pretty well for me so far.
The only thing I am considering getting is a wind smock.  The people I walk with a lot swear by them.  Any other comments on their usefulness or otherwise would be welcome.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:16:35, 21/08/17 »
My weapons of choice are baselayer and windshirt.  I have a thin fleece if I need a bit of insulation and the rain gear stays in my rucksack unless it's actually raining.  Winter sees me with a thicker fleece and/or my insulated jacket.  Waterproofs still stay in the pack unless it's actually raining.

Pretty much the same except for the windshirt.  If my baselayer isn't sufficient on goes my thin fleece, or thicker one in winter.
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:43:21, 21/08/17 »
The only "non standard" variant I've done in recent years is to use a thin-ish merino roll-top jumper (got in John Lewis sales for 20 quid) as a mid layer in really cold weather (by my standards!) rather than a fleece.

No pockets or zips...but for sort of walking I do, don't need those in a mid layer...but advantage of being lighter and warmer than fleeces I've come across in same price range.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:20:20, 21/08/17 »
I must admit I don't put too much thought into it.

I have an Aldi Merino T-shirt I wear most of the time and a long sleeved one when it's cold. And then I've about 3 cheapo fleeces I've picked up. One is a very thin one (microfleece I supposed), one is 100gsm and the other more like 200gsm and I stick whichever one I guess will be right depending on the expected temps.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:23:16, 21/08/17 »
If the weather is sufficiently cold to justify wearing it, usually from late Autumn onwards, then i wear my Buffalo Super 6 shirt, it cuts down significantly the amount of clothing required, and really works well.
The rest of the year, i travel light weight, Pertex windshirt, and jacket, and a set of high quality light weight waterproofs, gloves and favourite hat.
From May onwards, the temperature is usually above 10C, and one can get away with travelling with only the bare essentials, water, small amount of food, and light weight clothing.

This combination has worked for me, for well over thirty years, but others i am sure would feel under dressed, possibly venerable if the weather turned nasty.

Check the forecast for the day, pay close attention to any changes in the weather, and if the weather forecast proves wildly inaccurate, postpone the walk for a later day.

Temperature management, is far easier when one has less clothing to worry about.

Wear to much clothing and you over heat, wear too little, and you never generate sufficient thermal temperature control.

Finding that ideal solution on choice of clothing is not easy, but i prefer to wear the minimal amount of clothing, its weighs less, and unless its raining stair rods, is sufficient for the warmer months of May onwards.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy