Author Topic: Naturehike tents. Have you ever bought and used one?  (Read 2730 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
To cut a long story short, my tent poles were broken a couple of months ago and I just cannot find replacements.

I have now decided to buy a new tent. I have looked extensively across the internet and a few have caught my eye. What has intrigued me is the adverts about Naturehike tents (loads of adverts on Ebay, Amazon etc) which are copies of tent made Chinese style. There was also some extensive discussion about a way back on the Walking Forum as well. I have looked at one of their models which I believe is a copy of a Big Agness Fly Creek UL2 and I'm sorely tempted to buy it. So cheap!

I looked a various You Tube films about these tents and the suggestion is, they might be a bit suspect in terms of build quality but the general consensus also is that they work and they are light in weight!

Before I decide I just thought I would ask if you have ever purchased one. If so, what do you think?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Naturehike tents. Have you ever bought and used one?
« Reply #1 on: 16:04:25, 21/08/17 »
To cut a long story short, my tent poles were broken a couple of months ago and I just cannot find replacements.

Did you try the places I posted for you here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34959.msg500789#msg500789

It's unlikely that you be able to buy a Marmot branded replacement set but it should be quite easy to have custom pole replacements made up for you - even easier if you have the remnants of the damaged poles with the connectors on which can be extracted and reused.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:55:00, 21/08/17 »
Thanks for the information. I thought replacing my broken tent poles would be easy, but its costing me a fortune to send the broken poles for viewing and then getting an answer back saying sorry, can't help. Three firms so far.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:16:22, 21/08/17 »
I'm quite tempted by the Cloud UP 3

Although it's a touch heavier than my 2 man, I'm getting to the point where I'd really like more room  - something I can have one of my kids in with me and still have room for some gear and be able to sit up properly.

Seems to me they've gone up in price haven't they? I'm sure I looked at it 6 months ago at under £100 and now it's more like £130

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:25:42, 22/08/17 »
I've tried to study the Naturehike tents in detail and it look like that the 2 man tents may best for me? I fancy the idea of extra tent space and the tent weighing no more than my present one. However, when I check the overall tent weights, all except for one weighs more than the tent I use (Zephyros 1) at the moment. The one tent that weighs less, but not by much, is called the Taga 2, about £75. The Taga 2, so I've read, is an almost copy of the Tarptent Double Rainbow. I'm tempted but not yet ready to part with my money.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:34:01, 22/08/17 »
I've tried to study the Naturehike tents in detail and it look like that the 2 man tents may best for me? I fancy the idea of extra tent space and the tent weighing no more than my present one. However, when I check the overall tent weights, all except for one weighs more than the tent I use (Zephyros 1) at the moment. The one tent that weighs less, but not by much, is called the Taga 2, about £75. The Taga 2, so I've read, is an almost copy of the Tarptent Double Rainbow. I'm tempted but not yet ready to part with my money.
Yeah their weight listings are misleading as they break down the components.

I think a 2 man is ideal for one person as it allows you to have more kit in with you, room to move about and just generally more comfortable. So I'd be willing to take a slight hit on the weight, but that's just my opinion.  A 1 man tent in UK wet weather, having to squirm about in that tight space trying to wedge kit in the atrium areas or whatever they're called - I can't be done with that.

midge free

« Reply #6 on: 14:07:01, 26/08/17 »
there was a stress  test done on a chinese coy of a well known american  tarp;it failed in all aspects;that is ,waterproofness,and tear strength.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:41:34, 26/08/17 »
I know, I think I may have read that as well but there are more articles and You Tube 'testers' who would suggest the opposite. I can see from all of these evaluations that a user would have to be careful not to abuse their tent and not just take it for granted. I know that I fit that category, I am a careful tenter, but for perhaps a quarter of the price I think it might be a risk worth taking. Take the Taga 1 and 2 for example, for up to about £100 I could get a copy of the Tarptent Rainbow, a tent that I really fancy. If I bought the Tarptent version I would have to pay a LOT more, more than double I think and then would have to seal the seams myself! If I bought the Taga, the seams are already sealed! By my reckoning, even if the Targa was not so robust, I could buy anothyer and it would still be cheaper than buying the USA version.

I haven't made a final decision yet but the Targa at the moment is top of my list!

Sloth

« Reply #8 on: 22:53:06, 29/08/17 »
GWM Ive looked at a lot of the Chinese gear on you tube and wonder what its like. There is another company called 3 F UL that make some interesting looking tents and a frameless rucksack. I'm waiting for more reviews before upgrading my pack though. It will be interesting to here your thoughts on the tent if you decide to buy.

Stube

« Reply #9 on: 14:51:50, 30/08/17 »
I have a Naturehike i man freestanding tent - and I have no concerns with the build quality. All seams double stitched and sealed. The weight seems accurate but does not include the pegs and footprint.

The footprint and floor of the inner are heavy duty and by far the toughest of any of the tents I own. There are no signs of a desire to save weight.

They seem to have modified the pole design from the earliest versions to eliminate a stress point at the Y connectors - which indicates attention to detail and an interest in quality.

My main complaint is that it's bright orange - so not suitable for stealth camping!

GWM: If you'd like to meet up you can take a look and form your own opinion.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:48:24, 30/08/17 »
Thanks Stube, yes I would love to see your Naturehike tent. If I may I'll get back to you next week and we can plan a meet and have a beer!

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:31:26, 31/08/17 »
Have you considered having replacements "custom" made? - http://www.hamptonworks.co.uk/campingtentpoles.html
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Stube

« Reply #12 on: 09:03:59, 31/08/17 »
Fine GWM, but I'm walking the Thames Path from Wed next week on -so It'll have to be after that - say last week Sept.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:19:31, 31/08/17 »
If you want to persevere with your Zephyros 1, then why not contact http://www.tentspares.co.uk/
They carry a wide range of spares and repair kits. They certainly cover the Zephyros range.

If however you are after a new tent, then be very careful with the stitching, its the major drawback on many "cheaper" ( and some not so cheap ) tents.

Chinese quality control is practically non existent. And the UK shops selling such items generally have little conscience in the matter.

My wife is a fantastic repairer of such things sewing wise  and I find water proofing seams etc is quite easy and cheap, though restitching and sealing are both time consuming.   Along with a couple of coats of Fabsil then a fairly cheap tent can be turned into a very good tent for little money with fair investment in your own time. Of course, it would be easier for the factories to get it right first time as it would only cost pennies per item to tighten up the number of stitches per inch and use decent seam sealing tape. UK shops should return badly stitched items until such times as they get it right.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:50:03, 31/08/17 »
I take your views seriously but I have continued to look and read about Nature hike tents, not so many are dissatisfied with their purchase it seems? Money talks as well, I'm easily influenced! I must admit that their copy of the Tarptent Rainbow is very appealing to me.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy