Author Topic: Nubuck boot care  (Read 7452 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Nubuck boot care
« on: 14:22:36, 24/08/17 »
There seems to be conflicting info on nubuck leather boot care out there. I was wondering what you guys thought.

With my current pair of non-Goretex nubuck boots, I've just put Ledergris on them pretty regularly and they've effectively turned into smooth leather a few shades darker which is no big deal and it seems to have improved the waterproofness of them somewhat.

But I'm trying out a pair of Lowa Renegades at the moment and was reading about the care regime they recommend and various articles and there seems to be lots of different views. They say to wet them whilst washing them, spray on a waterproofing aerosol whilst damp, let them dry and use a water-based wax-creme and use a suede brush if you want to keep the fuzzy surface. They have differing advice depending on which site you mentioning things such as silicone based spray for suede and nubuck, never using anything with oil or beeswax (would rule out Ledergris)

Anyone know what products like Nikwax's Nubuck and Suede Care actually contains? Does have a wax that would be enough to stop fully nubuck leather walking boots from cracking or is it really designed for those fabric and suede boots?

Kukkudrill

Re: Nubuck boot care
« Reply #1 on: 17:27:51, 24/08/17 »
I have a pair of Lowa Renegades and I've treated them with Granger's G-wax, which I believe is similar to Ledergris. The effect is like you said - it darkens the leather and gives it a smooth finish. It hasn't done any harm to the leather. On the contrary, it provides more effective and much longer lasting protection than Nikwax waterproofing products, which I believe are water-based.
Make the most of the available light

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:13:48, 24/08/17 »
I think it comes down to personal preference.

I've always chosen to wax nubuck boots for the improved waterproofing it offers and it makes ongoing cleaning and maintenance far easier and less time consuming. It's a struggle to keep a brushed effect nubuck boot looking good for any length of time. Waxing may decrease a boot's breathability slightly but it significantly improves the waterproofing so it's a bit of a trade off.

Personally I've always found the waterproofing effect of Nikwax's range of footwear products to be very short lasting as it just seems to wash away with the rain. Nikwax killed off their real golden goose when they went all environmentally friendly and got rid of their Nikwax Waterproofing Wax For Leather which used to be a proper wax and was sold in tins. I'm not saying it would be any different but if you decide to use spray on products I would look at giving Grangers Footwear Repel or a similar spray on product a try in preference.

The only thing anyone needs to be careful of is that at least one American manufacturer incorrectly uses the term nubuck when they actually mean suede......and you can't wax suede.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #3 on: 21:33:18, 24/08/17 »
Lowa Renegades have a strip of suede on the sides just above the outsole (the rest is nubuck). When I waxed my Renegades I did manage to wax this bit. But it took a lot of time and an awful lot of wax  :)
Make the most of the available light

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:01:50, 24/08/17 »
OK cool that's what I thought - treat it as leather and forget the fuzzy surface.

I wonder if all the stuff about blocking pores is true? Strikes me that leather isn't really breathable anyway but rather soaks up sweat which makes its way to the surface and then evaporates eventually - i.e. wicking rather than vapour making it all the way through several mm of treated leather.

I have to say I'm also not a big fan of Nikwax in any of its forms. I've not had good luck with it helping cloth or leather other than the hour after it's just been treated.

I've got some Grangers Repel for my kids cheap fabric boots. It's OK. I think it's better but generally the same sort of deal really. Beads off impressively under the tap. Does [censored] all after 10 mins in wet grass. Still maybe Lowa's regime for leather of spraying with that sort of substance when they're wet and letting it soak in, drying for 24 hours and then a coat of wax on top might be a reasonable plan.

Thx

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:09:42, 25/08/17 »
I love nubuck boots. My current pair is getting on 15 years old. I clean them, get them properly well, then use Nikwax's nubuck stuff and leave to dry at room temperature. They're still totally waterproof (long after the GTX lining will have given way), uncracked, etc. They are 4-season B2s, so there isn't much flex in them.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

midge free

« Reply #6 on: 14:12:08, 26/08/17 »
innteresting replies;whatever you do,dont use dubbin as it will overstretch the leather.although it could be used to soften a part of the leather that is causing trouble;i.e.at a toe  area.perhaps internally?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:05:59, 29/08/17 »
get them properly well
Doh. Should read 'get them properly wet'.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy