Author Topic: waterproof a windproof?  (Read 1464 times)

Hawklance

waterproof a windproof?
« on: 21:40:41, 24/08/17 »
i have a Karrimor Xlite windproof smock that i would like to waterproof, is this possible?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: waterproof a windproof?
« Reply #1 on: 21:44:12, 24/08/17 »
i have a Karrimor Xlite windproof smock that i would like to waterproof, is this possible?

Not unless you paint with latex or varnish or similar and god knows why you'd do that.

Hawklance

« Reply #2 on: 21:46:29, 24/08/17 »
would a nikwax wash in not work?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:51:52, 24/08/17 »
No ...
Where there's a will ...

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:52:21, 24/08/17 »
would a nikwax wash in not work?

No way.

All that stuff does, when it works at all, is to coat the fibres with a hydrophobic substance which lowers the surface tension such that water molecules would rather stick to themselves than it. Hence the water tends to form beads which can then roll off. But that's not the same as waterproofing. Even when fresh out of the machine it get overwhelmed easily. Harder rain goes right past it. Any kind of rubbing or friction such as experienced during normal use will easily push the water through. You can find 1000s of posts online from people with properly waterproof fabrics moaning how they wet out despite proofing. They still remain protected by the underlying membrane but you won't because a windproof doesn't have one, by design.

Chances are, it's already been treated by such a substance anyway, it's not waterproof now is it?

Hawklance

« Reply #5 on: 22:03:16, 24/08/17 »
um i bought it a while a go and i think at most it would be showerproof, it was before sports direct took over Karrimor

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:06:20, 24/08/17 »
um i bought it a while a go and i think at most it would be showerproof, it was before sports direct took over Karrimor

I've got a Paramo windproof that came all Nikwaxed up out of the factory. It's light shower-proof.  Same deal.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:22:27, 24/08/17 »
Interesting question, and one I've pondered on recently. 

I may report back here with my experiments using Fabsil on various "test" materials.  In the meantime, I will follow this topic with interest  O0

Hawklance

« Reply #8 on: 19:24:26, 15/09/17 »
nik-wax didnt work

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:19:25, 15/09/17 »
Think a number of us said it wouldn't  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Alan Kilroy

« Reply #10 on: 16:34:30, 16/09/17 »
I've ordered a Buffalo Windshirt, after much research. It'll be a while arriving, not in stock etc, mid December, I don't mind.

Whilst out hiking recently, I had a discussion with a more experienced person re: waterproof, breathability etc. etc.
To my mind, waterproof (Goretex, eVent etc) are just that, and not breathable at all, hence the pit zips etc, mesh pockets etc. I have a Montane Precip. Good for walking to work in etc, if a shower breaks out. But......if it put in on whilst out hiking for a few hours, it's soaking inside. I run hot. It's into the wash with Nikwash or it'll stink during the week.

So.........Buffalo Windshirt it is. Not waterproof, but will dry out virtually immediately (Pertex Classic).. Loads of venting. Wind will be negated whilst drying me out, if needed.  After a hike, I should be dry enough, internally (base layer) and warm enough cos the wind will not chill me.

Don't have it yet but gagging........ :D :D :D :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy