Author Topic: Backpack for wild camping (with a tent)?  (Read 1505 times)

rankinmike

Backpack for wild camping (with a tent)?
« on: 21:47:13, 25/08/17 »
Hi - I'm looking for a medium (40-50L) backpack for 1-3 night UK camping trips. Something lightweight which I can attach a tent to - most I've seen <60L e.g. Lowe Alpine, do not have straps along the bottom where you can strap a tent. Suggestions appreciated!

(I used to shove all my camping gear in the car boot, but I sold the vehicle and want to invest some of the proceedings in decent camping gear I can fit on my back...)

Alan Kilroy

Re: Backpack for wild camping (with a tent)?
« Reply #1 on: 09:00:03, 26/08/17 »
It'll depend alot on the size of the packed down tent.
Down sleeping bags compact well, again, it'll be the size of the sleeping bag and sleep mat also.
Will you be bringing cooking gear? That takes up a bit of space, pots n pans etc. Stove (Trangia or something), fuel..... Water takes up a bit of space, not so much if you get a Sawyer water filter though.
On and on.........

I'm in the same position myself, but not rushing into in. Looking at an Osprey Exos 58l for example. Have the Osprey Talon 33 for day hikes and it's perfect. Don't fill it but good to have the extra space for winter clothing I reckon.

You can bring tent, bag, mat etc to a store and they should allow you to try on bags with most of the bulky kit in.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:25:39, 26/08/17 »
Why does the tent have to be strapped to the bottom?

Forkbeard

« Reply #3 on: 13:23:51, 26/08/17 »
I have a Lowe Alpine 65:80 which I've used on a few trips now and have become quite comfortable with it (I initially thought was too big, but it all depends what you pack :) ). It doesn't have straps on the bottom but has straps on the front which are long enough to hold a kip mat. There is a seperate compartment in the bottom which I use to stow the tent, I just don't pack it in its bag - tent bags are pain in the [censored] anyway. That way you can unpack your tent without having to get the rest of your kit out in bad weather etc. Plus, the more you have inside the bag, the more comfortable it'll be. I had a smaller bag and attached stuff to the outside and it made the weight distribution seem odd, gave you a sensation of being pulled backwards.

In my experience you're better with a bigger bag that isn't full, rather than a smaller ram-packed one. What you gain on weight (with a bigger bag) you also gain on comfort - bigger bags usually have better support to begin with as well.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:13:24, 26/08/17 »
I'm sure there are many good tents out there. All I am confident about is that the maximum I would ever buy is 50L. I don't cook en route (go to pubs, etc) and I've learned over time how to take the minimum so these days my tent always has space for more! But of course more means extra weight! My present tent is an Osprey 48L, a 'good enough' tent but what I really like about it it its such a good load carrier, no sore shoulders for me now, it makes such a difference!

If I was willing to spend the cash, which I'm not, (too much for what they offer) I would buy a Nigor 50L. Its a more-or-less copy of my first rucksack, a Golight Jam which I really loved!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:14:05, 26/08/17 »
Did I write tents? Yes I did. Sorry, it should read rucksack!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:00:42, 26/08/17 »
I'd just get one big enough to carry the tent
 My 50L one is and I've not.got top of the range gear.u

I wouldn't want something as heavy as a tent dangling under my rucksack.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy