Author Topic: Suggestions for non-hill walks  (Read 3577 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Suggestions for non-hill walks
« on: 19:45:39, 26/08/17 »
What are your favourite non-hill walks? I love hill walking - the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere, the views, the challenge - but I've just posted on the Wales forum about the Fairbourne Railway walk and wondered if anyone had suggestions for other walks like that. I'm looking for ones less than 10km long, without huge amounts of ascent, with places to get food and interesting things to look at on the way. Incorporating a train or boat ride would be a bonus. Anywhere in the UK would be fine, I'm looking for places we can go on holiday, though ones within a day trip of Bristol would be useful too.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Suggestions for non-hill walks
« Reply #1 on: 20:03:58, 26/08/17 »
Have you considered the South West Coast Path or Exmoor, within striking range from Bristol - I have logged day walks on the coast path all the way from the outskirts of Minehead to just short of Bude. Exmoor has some very pleasant walks too, especially in the area of Doone country.  Have a look at www.gpsies.com open extended search, enter username ninthace or enter ninthace in this link https://www.gpsies.com/trackList.do.  Most of these are duplicated in www.haroldstreet.org under the same username. See this link http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/map-area.php?user=ninthace.

I will be adding to these in time but I have only been based in the SW for a year.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:06:40, 26/08/17 »
One of my favourite places for low-level walks is Chichester Harbour on the West Sussex and Hampshire coast.  It's peaceful and beautiful, a vast area of creeks, marshes and sand dunes, with picturesque quayside villages.  The church at Bosham features on the Bayeux Tapestry.  It's a popular area for boating and birdwatching. 

This link has suggestions for walks and information about boat trips

http://www.conservancy.co.uk/ 

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:15:12, 26/08/17 »
If you fancied a fairly relaxing weeks walking in Peak District, you could have a go at Derwent Valley Heritage walk.

It's 55 miles in total, as flat as any walk will be in Peak District...it follows the River Derwent through the Peak, and is easily breakable into 6 or 7 stages that you can get to by public transport...so you could stay somewhere like Chesterfield, and get to start of each stage by public transport each day, and get back to Chesterfield each day again via public transport.

In spite of it being flat, it features walking through some stunning scenery, walking through Chatsworth and Belper, for example are two highlights.

If weather or energies mean you don't fancy doing all the stages...easy to get on a train or bus for a day out at Manchester, Nottingham, Derby or Sheffield, etc.
« Last Edit: 21:19:48, 26/08/17 by pauldawes »

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:31:03, 26/08/17 »
On the SWCP theme how about walking around Portland Bill, lots to see.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:32:57, 26/08/17 »
My wife and I are gradually working our way along the Kennet and Avon Canal.  We have done three weekend trips there in the past two years and thus far we have walked from Bath to Devizes.  lots of good pubs along the canal and some fascinating history.  Public transport is good to. :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:03:35, 26/08/17 »
The majority of the Anglesey Coastal Path, is non hilly, and depending on the time of year, the wildlife is amazing.
Only the terrain from Pentraeth towards Amwlch, is what one could describe as undulating, but its within the capabilities of any fairly fit walker.
The coastal path is just over 125miles long, but you can pick and choose the sections that wet your appetite.

I would sat, 80% of the entire walk, is on the flat, so its ideal for every type of walker.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:11:05, 26/08/17 »
Have you considered the South West Coast Path or Exmoor, within striking range from Bristol - I have logged day walks on the coast path all the way from the outskirts of Minehead to just short of Bude. Exmoor has some very pleasant walks too, especially in the area of Doone country.  Have a look at www.gpsies.com open extended search, enter username ninthace or enter ninthace in this link https://www.gpsies.com/trackList.do.  Most of these are duplicated in www.haroldstreet.org under the same username. See this link http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/map-area.php?user=ninthace.

I will be adding to these in time but I have only been based in the SW for a year.

Thanks, some good suggestions there. Am thinking I could maybe work something around the West Somerset Railway and the coast path as one option.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:11:55, 26/08/17 »
One of my favourite places for low-level walks is Chichester Harbour on the West Sussex and Hampshire coast.  It's peaceful and beautiful, a vast area of creeks, marshes and sand dunes, with picturesque quayside villages.  The church at Bosham features on the Bayeux Tapestry.  It's a popular area for boating and birdwatching. 

This link has suggestions for walks and information about boat trips

http://www.conservancy.co.uk/

Thanks, I'm familiar with Emsworth, not much of the rest of it though. Will add that to the potential holiday list.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:19:47, 26/08/17 »
If you fancied a fairly relaxing weeks walking in Peak District, you could have a go at Derwent Valley Heritage walk.

It's 55 miles in total, as flat as any walk will be in Peak District...it follows the River Derwent through the Peak, and is easily breakable into 6 or 7 stages that you can get to by public transport...so you could stay somewhere like Chesterfield, and get to start of each stage by public transport each day, and get back to Chesterfield each day again via public transport.

In spite of it being flat, it features walking through some stunning scenery, walking through Chatsworth and Belper, for example are two highlights.

If weather or energies mean you don't fancy doing all the stages...easy to get on a train or bus for a day out at Manchester, Nottingham, Derby or Sheffield, etc.

Good idea, Peak District is somewhere we haven't been much. Thanks.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:20:17, 26/08/17 »
On the SWCP theme how about walking around Portland Bill, lots to see.

Thanks. I went there as a child, not taken my own there though.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:21:03, 26/08/17 »
My wife and I are gradually working our way along the Kennet and Avon Canal.  We have done three weekend trips there in the past two years and thus far we have walked from Bath to Devizes.  lots of good pubs along the canal and some fascinating history.  Public transport is good to. :)

We've done a few short walks there, mainly around Dundas Aqueduct. Oddly I was looking at a circular walk from Avoncliffe earlier today.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:34:06, 26/08/17 »
The majority of the Anglesey Coastal Path, is non hilly, and depending on the time of year, the wildlife is amazing.
Only the terrain from Pentraeth towards Amwlch, is what one could describe as undulating, but its within the capabilities of any fairly fit walker.
The coastal path is just over 125miles long, but you can pick and choose the sections that wet your appetite.

I would sat, 80% of the entire walk, is on the flat, so its ideal for every type of walker.

Thanks - not that bothered about the undulations, more important is the things to look at and access to refreshments en route.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:51:44, 26/08/17 »
As maturity sets in, an understanding of terrain develops, being able to recognize quality of way suddenly opens up a whole aura of expectation that was once only satisfied by the need to gaze on distance horizons. This has started to give me an understanding of route finding, that does not include the normal objectives normally  featured in popular walks.

My suggestion is look over the hedge, any old hedge, and if you feel you might want to walk there, go for it; you might surprise yourself.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:29:29, 27/08/17 »
Hi Claire

Here's some of my favourite local(ish) stuff

1. Wickwar to Hawkesbury Upton and back via Lower Woods. For refreshments there is a café in Wickwar at the start/finish that is very nice, in the middle I like the Duke of Beaufort at Hawkesbury. Not entirely flat as you go up onto the Cotswold escarpment.

2. Coast path from Portishead to Clevedon is surprisingly nice! Café at the Lake grounds in Portishead and plenty of choices of Clevedon sea front (Scarletts if my favourite!). I usually do this as a circular walk heading inland a bit for variety on the way back or following the Gordano Round. This would make it longer than you want though. One way its about 5 miles, should be possible to get a bus between the two. It's pretty flat for coast path too.

3.The Dramway path, the whole thing is 9 miles from Coalpit Heath to the Avon, walking as far as the café at Warmley Station and getting someone to collect you could work, not sure about buses?

4.Cotswold Way around Stinchcombe Hill above Dursley. Park at the top nice easy circular with good views, park at the car park opposite the Old Spot in Dursley hill to climb first, choice is yours. Old Spot is a good pub though.

5. Cotswold Way round Hartley Hill and Leckhampton Hill from Seven Springs. Cracking views, look out for Roman Snails and the Devils Chimney. I haven't been in the Seven Springs pub though so no comment on that.

6. Castle Combe circular or the Cake Walk as we like to call it as we buy a cake from the lady in the village who leaves them outside her cottage with an honesty box and eat it half way round at a convenient bench know in our family as the cake bench!
Basically leave the village following the By Brook to Ford where there is a nice pub if you want that rather than or as well as cake, return on a parallel path.

7. Purton ships grave yard is also well worth a look.

8. If your going further afield Lynmouth to Watersmeet is delightful as is the National Trust tea room.

9. Doone Valley (Badgeworthy Combe) Exmoor is also lovely tea rooms at Cloud Farm and in Malmsmead.

Sorry gone on a bit! If you want any more details about any of the above pm me.
Of course you might have done them all already...

Enjoy every sandwich

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy