Author Topic: Sleeping bag Recommendations  (Read 1494 times)

Forkbeard

Sleeping bag Recommendations
« on: 18:46:31, 27/08/17 »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm on my phone and can't find the search option for the threads. I'm after a new sleeping bag after the kid(s) murdered my last one, which was a Vango Latitude 300 3 season. It was warm (usually a bit too warm) but too bulky. I'll be using it for 'normal' camping but the odd hike & wild camp as well.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping bag Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 14:26:48, 28/08/17 »
You'd probably need to give more details about what sort of temp rating price etc.

But the standard recommendation is to give the Alpkit bags a look. Hard to beat for the cash

Forkbeard

« Reply #2 on: 19:37:30, 28/08/17 »
I'm thinking something along the lines of 2-3 season, maybe more like 2. Even in pretty cold conditions I always end up too hot in my current bag. I've been looking at the Alpkit Skyehigh 500 and this one: Hyke & Byke Quandary - there aren't any reviews on the UK site but plenty of good ones on Amazon US.
« Last Edit: 19:40:52, 28/08/17 by Forkbeard »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:18:19, 28/08/17 »
I'm thinking something along the lines of 2-3 season, maybe more like 2. Even in pretty cold conditions I always end up too hot in my current bag. I've been looking at the Alpkit Skyehigh 500 and this one: Hyke & Byke Quandary - there aren't any reviews on the UK site but plenty of good ones on Amazon US.

I've never heard of them so can't comment. 1.4KG for a down bag generally means very cold winter conditions or poor quality down.

The Alpkit one looks like a decent buy and sensible weight for ratings

Are you from the UK - using it UK conditions? And if so , what times of year?
« Last Edit: 23:41:03, 28/08/17 by NeilC »

Forkbeard

« Reply #4 on: 23:53:56, 28/08/17 »
I'll potentially be using it all year round, but I'm buying it with Autumn (UK) in mind. I've been looking at a synthetic one (Vango Ultralite Pro 300) as well which is nearly the same weight but a bit bulkier. I can't say I've heard of Hyke & Byke either, which put me off it a bit. It's a toss up between the Vango and Alpkit at the moment.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:38:42, 29/08/17 »
I'd get the Alpkit out of those. 380g lighter. Smaller and down lasts for years whereas synthetic loses its loft.

Forkbeard

« Reply #6 on: 19:11:47, 29/08/17 »
I may or may not live to regret it but I bought the Vango based purely on price. If I use it half as much as I'd like to I may end up upgrading, but there's no point spending more than twice the price to see it sat in the junk room most of the time :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy