Author Topic: Totally new help please :)  (Read 6087 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Totally new help please :)
« Reply #15 on: 11:22:12, 08/09/17 »
Suspect many folk just clean forget about the forum.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:26:24, 08/09/17 »
Nah.  You don't join somewhere, ask a question... then never bother again.  If you're that keen, you'd be logging on every day to browse, see what answers you've got, etc. 

... Plus, I'm spotting anomalies in the one and only post from the OP  ;)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:56:27, 08/09/17 »
Nah.  You don't join somewhere, ask a question... then never bother again.  If you're that keen, you'd be logging on every day to browse, see what answers you've got, etc. 

... Plus, I'm spotting anomalies in the one and only post from the OP  ;)

Yeah the old one post and never return thing is weird.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:04:05, 08/09/17 »
I will get sherlock holmes on the case! Then again, there r plenty of more longstanding members who don't post....think we lost 2 more  very recently (at least) who I guess have quit together.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:56:11, 08/09/17 »
I can understand that some people just want advice on one particular topic and then don't wish to continue with the forum, but what I don't understand is how they don't have the common courtesy to thank folks who have taken the trouble to give them the advice they have requested.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:50:50, 08/09/17 »
But it happens, I'm afraid. I get it all the time on my website, people that appear to be 100% genuine and not spammers send me enquiries, I respond with detailed replies and I never hear from them again. Just had one a few days ago as a matter of fact, a Belgian student planning a route. Makes me wonder if they've stepped in front of a bus or something!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:32:59, 08/09/17 »
I can understand that some people just want advice on one particular topic and then don't wish to continue with the forum, but what I don't understand is how they don't have the common courtesy to thank folks who have taken the trouble to give them the advice they have requested.

^^^ This ^^^^  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:44:11, 09/09/17 »
....r plenty of more longstanding members who don't post.....

Clue's in that statement pleblet  O0   Long standing members who once contributed actively to the forum but now (for whatever their reasons) are no longer active.  Newbies posting once, never to be seen or log on again aren't in the same category  :)

micmac

« Reply #23 on: 15:23:46, 09/09/17 »
You would expect them to at least come on and check for answers and thank people that answered, it's just common courtesy. I haven't been an active member yet as i can't share my walks really as i have no way of sharing the photos and i haven't done many.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:38:50, 11/09/17 »

Clue's in that statement pleblet  O0   Long standing members who once contributed actively to the forum but now (for whatever their reasons) are no longer active.  Newbies posting once, never to be seen or log on again aren't in the same category  :)
my mistake, one has come back!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:27:10, 11/09/17 »
Not everyone who stops posting has "left" the forum.  Sometimes, life gets in the way and (shock horror) the forum drops off the list of priorities.

Anyway, glad to see that Hikerwannabe has finally logged on and thanked everyone profusely for their input  ::)   Perhaps he/she'll re-register as "Hikingaintevergonnahappen"  :D

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 19:34:09, 11/09/17 »

Is it really such a big deal, if someone posts just the once?  Life's too short (and too precious) to be keeping tabs on/checking up on how folk choose to post on the forum. And even if it weren't, there are far bigger issues to be concerned about.
We're all different and we all have our ways of doing things. Some folk might not like them or approve of them..but who are we to judge anyway?

I know for a fact that some 'long-standing members' who no longer post are...or rather, were...getting a bit bored with the forum and the same old/same old type of threads/posts etc.
Some subject matter just wears a bit thin after a while, I guess.

:)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:53:12, 12/09/17 »
I know for a fact that some 'long-standing members' who no longer post are...or rather, were...getting a bit bored with the forum and the same old/same old type of threads/posts etc.
Some subject matter just wears a bit thin after a while, I guess.

I'll expand that. I've been a member for 5+ years (and I believe I was a member before that, and rejoined) and my problem is finding something fresh to say. I know that sometimes I repeat things I've posted before. Yesterday I was thinking of asking a question on gear, but I used the Search function and found I had asked exactly the same question in the middle of a thread 18 months ago (it  went unanswered, so I might 'bump' it!).

Added to that, there are times when I don't want to get involved in controversial posts or petty arguments, while quite often I draw back from posting because it seems I am answering just for the sake of it, so I keep quiet instead.

Sorry if this just adds to the negativity, but it's how I feel. In spite of this I can't keep away from the forum, I 'look in' a few times every single day.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:39:10, 12/09/17 »
I agree with Frenman, I do sometimes worry that you have heard all my anecdotes before. Though, even when I am not posting, I will always have the forum open on my computer at work or laptop at home so I can pop in and see if there is anything new.

On the topic of people only posting once it is OK if the only need a short answer or it leads to an interesting chat between the rest of us. What can be annoying is if you put together a comprehensive answer with links and pictures only for you to never know if it is read. I will frequently ask a short question of the original poster, to see if they are keeping an eye on the topic, before I launch in.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 10:11:44, 12/09/17 »
Agreed to be fair, its all been done, pretty much any question has already been asked, plus theres reams of trip reports from the lakes, wales, peaks, etc.
I try n spice it up a little with TR's from other places...........

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy