Author Topic: Tent comparison... second hand North Face Tadpole or new Vango mirage  (Read 1523 times)

burns

Hi everyone

The title kind of says it all. Im looking to by a 2 man tent for me and my 4 year old to start a bit of walking and wild camping and have an offer from a friend of a second hand North Face Tadpole in excellent condition or I've been thinking of getting a Vango mirage 200 new.

Any advice on which would be the better shout to go for?

Thanks a lot

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Hi

We have an ancient North Face Frog (the tadpole's big brother) and it is a robust tent which is still going strong. I don't know the Vango but things to think about are;

Weight - with a 4 year old you are carrying everything, it looks like the Tadpole is about 2kg and the Vango 3kg.
Price - as soon as something is secondhand the price drops like a stone, make sure you are not subsidising your mates next hobby.
Commitment - have you and child done much walking and camping before? It is not for everyone. Could you get a couple of days free trial of the tadpole before you decide on anything?

burns

Thanks for the quick reply.

- Cheers for the spot on the weight - I hadn't noticed that difference.
- He's a good guy and happy with £80 for the tadpole from i think a starting price of around £200 (a few years back). The vango is about 140 new. That probably says a bit but wondered if tents are just better now anyway so hence the cheaper new price of the vango?

No probs camping experience, I've plenty of it just not bought a light weight 'trekking' type tent before.

Thanks again

MudMagnet

Just for comparison, I managed to get hold of a Tadpole about 5 years ago brand new, but had to pack it away from the shop set up for £140.
It may be worth you looking at the Zephyros 2, currently £120 at Cotswold and weighs in under 2kg.  Should be big enough for you an your son. 

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/wild-country-tents-zephyros-2-tent-d1312364.html [nofollow]

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
The best price I can find for the Wild Country Zephyros 2 is £114.99 with free delivery. A further 5.05% cashback is available if you go via TopCashback
http://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/wild-country-zephyros-2-tent/

It's definitely worth a closer look if you want to shave a few ounces off the weight you will have to carry.

burns

cheers again everyone.

that's getting a bit too serious on the weight saving for me and the little one though.. the fraction more head room and porch space of the other two will give just that bit more luxury that will keep her (daughter  :) ) on side. And with legs that short i wont have to carry those extra ounzes too far anyway.

MarkT

I can only comment on the Vango tent as that's what I have.  It's not the lightest of tents and attaching the inner ground sheet can be a bit fiddly, especially with cold hands.  However I have experienced Lake District rain, snow & wind and I have found the design of it is brilliant and has never let me down. Very sturdy with heavy winds and have even awoken with my tent submerged in about 2 inches of water (I pitched in the wrong place!!) but no water had leaked in.   Plenty of room inside for you and a small person. I'm 6' and still have plenty of leg room.

Hope you both enjoy your adventures whatever you decide.

burns

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. A bit to think about.

Cheers

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy