Author Topic: Walking Jacket Recommendations?  (Read 502 times)

gandalftheking

Walking Jacket Recommendations?
« on: 11:25:17, 02/09/17 »
Hi all,I've ordered and returned more jackets than I can recall, had lots of good recommendations, but for some reason I find myself still looking for the ideal walking jacket. Here's what I'm after:

1. All I do is walk 3-5 miles daily in non-challenging terrain for general exercise. Occasionally a bit more off piste.
2. However, I run quite hot so am looking for breathability as #1 criteria, then wind proof, then waterproof (or resistant). I usually wear only a t-shirt underneath which is pretty damp after the walk.
3. I prefer an athletic fit if I can get it
4. Pit Zips would be good
5. I dislike the 'front zip and hood all in one piece' approach, but prefer the style of say a Berghaus RG1 / Marmot Precip as far as the way they deal with the hood and front design. I tried a Rab Firewall once and the zip when all the way up came up past my mouth, which I don't need or want. I liked the fit of that jacket though and the long pit zips. Also, as i wear mainly t-shirts i found jackets like the Precip don't help with clammy arms.
6. Budget... well, it's not unlimited but I'll pay for something that meets the above criteria, and end my long search!I'm not expecting to stop sweating, just a reduction in moisture retention would be good.

Many thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: 11:29:29, 02/09/17 by gandalftheking »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking Jacket Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 11:46:04, 02/09/17 »
I think your basic approach is wrong, which is why you're ending up damp.  Wearing a t-shirt underneath a Marmot Precip you are going to feel damp. I'm also not clear whether you wear it regardless of whether it's raining or not?

My suggestion first of all would be to get yourself a good baselayer, which will help wick away your sweat.  Then if you are cold add a micro fleece.  Save the Precip for when it is actually raining, and wear it with the baselayer and fleece, that combo will keep you dry.  If you're too warm then ditch the fleece.
Where there's a will ...

nesty

« Reply #2 on: 14:38:12, 02/09/17 »
I am a firm believer in paramo.

What I like about them they are breathable. The Paramo has a pump liner (which is smooth to touch).

I too run hot, which is why I opted for the above. I find normal waterproofs uncomfortable. I like to wear short sleeves, which Marmot Precip be a no no because of the sticky interior.

Paramo do many different styles. For running, mountaineering, walking etc. The cuts will be made for that activity.

They are heavier due to the pump lining and you have to keep up the washing for the waterproofing, but I like the range.

nesty

« Reply #3 on: 14:44:06, 02/09/17 »
Also the Keela range is good value for money. British made.
I have a Keela munro for real North sea trawler weather! Again has it's own breathable liner. 
Though in the range they do other jackets to fit other activitys. If you you tube 'keela munro jacket'. There is this bloke Nigel Atkins, which does a range of demo videos for them.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:32:26, 02/09/17 »
All I do is walk 3-5 miles daily in non-challenging terrain for general exercise. Occasionally a bit more off piste.

What sussamb said.  Perhaps look at windshirts if you "run hot".  Extremely breathable but (like the name suggests) cuts out the wind(chill) factor, totally eliminates that clammy feeling.  Only reason to wear a proper waterproof is if it's raining really  O0

No expense spared in pursuit of a bargain ;)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:44:35, 02/09/17 »
A three to five mile walk in non challenging conditions? I'm not sure you'll see much real difference in comfort for buying an expensive breathable jacket as opposed to getting something in Regatta range.

But certainly Sussamb's suggestion is a very flexible one...the "layering options" it would give you would mean you would have no need to buy again  if/when you started going on longer more strenuous walks.
« Last Edit: 15:57:50, 02/09/17 by pauldawes »

NeilC

« Reply #6 on: 07:52:20, 03/09/17 »
A ventile jacket could be worth considering.

Very breathable as it's cotton, windproof, waterproof. Worn by a lot of gamekeepers, ghillies outdoorsmen etc. Sort of thing Ray Meats wears.

Its not so popular with us backpackers as we tend to want a light stowaway jacket that will dry fast. But if you're hanging it up at home each night then its a terrific fabric for all day wear. I had a jacket I wore for years around town. Soft, quiet, never remotely clammy and easily rainproof enough.

Thinking about it, I might get one myself for local walking. They last for years. Quite like the look of that Howie's Winston!
« Last Edit: 21:08:23, 03/09/17 by NeilC »

Jonfun

« Reply #7 on: 14:49:54, 05/09/17 »
Sort of thing Ray Meats wears.

;D  .. I think Ray Mears wears them too!

I'm also a Paramo user, I run hot so tend to walk in a base layer, and throw on my jacket when kt rains or temp drops. It has to be pretty cold for me to run 3 layers, usually winter hiking or similar.

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #8 on: 20:58:45, 09/09/17 »
Rab Vapourise is my favourite general ise jacket. Not at all waterproof though. Good fit for me, pit zips and nice and comfortable.