Author Topic: 2 night camp at Edale, Walked Kinder and Mam Tor  (Read 2101 times)

stuartpb

I set out at 0510 on Friday morning for a 2 night camp at Fieldhead campsite, I'd planned to walk Kinder Scout and Mam Tor, doing one a day. Northern Rail were on strike on Friday so the only train from Sheffield to Edale that was running was the 06.18 Liverpool train. Otherwise I'd have left a bit later. I got into Edale just before 0700 and walked up to Fieldhead campsite. I got pitched up and my gear stowed by 0900 but had to hang around for the office to open so I could pay for my pitch.

Just after 0900 I set off on the Kinder Scout walk. My choice of ascent was Grindsbrook Clough. I saw just a couple of people until I reached the plateau, which was great. For the most part it felt like I had the place to myself. The weather was warm, despite an early mist that had burned off quickly. I took my time as I was carrying my camera gear and wanted to get some photos along the way.

Once I reached the plateau there were a few more people about but it was nothing like the weekend walks I've been on there. My plan was to head for Kinder Downfall but I missed the path that led that way. I was too busy stopping and taking photos. Once I realised I'd missed it, I decided to just head towards Crowden Tower and then descend on Jacobs Ladder. I was enjoying the walk and taking my time. I had all day to kill so there was no rush.

When I got to Jacobs Ladder I lost my footing on a section that was rocky. My ankle went over but it wasn't painful to walk on. A little further though and my knee really starting becoming painful. On the more flat parts it was bearable but on the steep parts it really came keen. I must have twisted my knee or something. I kept plodding on but my pace had really slowed now. As I was getting near to the bottom of Jacobs Ladder the mountain rescue team vehicles were there, they were dealing with a casualty elsewhere. There was one man at the vehicles though and he saw me hobbling and asked if I was OK. I said yes and thanked him. So I carried on heading for Edale. As I was rounding the storm outlet on the Penine way the rescue ambulance went past, he stopped and asked if I was OK, I said what had happened so he offered me a lift back to Edale. My knee was giving me some real grief by that time so I accepted the offer, gratefully too! I was gutted about not finishing the walk but was glad of the lift!

That night I took some ibuprofen and the pain eased up. I had the loudest snorer ever pitched next to me and he woke me up a few times through the night with his snoring but other than that I slept well. The next day the pain had eased a lot but I didn't want to push too far with it so I decided to do a lowlands walk to see how I got on with it. So I walked to Hope by the road, taking my time and taking photos along the way. I had a bacon butty and coffee at Hope and set off back for Edale. I got back to the campsite about 1pm.

My knee was OK for that walk so I decided to try Mam Tor, I would have been gutted if I hadn't as it was my goal for the weekend. If my knee started playing up again I would head straight back. I left about 3pm and headed towards Hardenclough Farm for Mam Tor. I'd originally wanted to do the Rushup Edge route but wasn't sure on that with my knee. I managed the ascent fine but my knee started up again on the steepest parts of the descent, nowhere near as bad as the day before but it was definitely niggling. I was glad I'd done Mam Tor though. On the route I took I'd passed no more than 8 people but the summit was really busy. The views were definitely worth the effort though!! The knee was OK again this morning but I'm going to rest it up a bit before I go out again.

All in I enjoyed the weekend. I even had a visitor in my tent who enjoyed the bombay mix I had in a zip lock bag. A rat or mouse had gnawed through the tent inner and then into the zip lock bag. I've put patches on both sides to cover the holes so the damage is minimal :)

I'll put some photos up later, I'm getting told off by my missus for being on the computer ;D

EDIT: Some of the  photos I took along the way on the walks

« Last Edit: 12:56:28, 04/09/17 by stuartpb »

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: 2 night camp at Edale, Walked Kinder and Mam Tor
« Reply #1 on: 22:48:35, 03/09/17 »
Sorry to hear about your knee and hope it's better soon.  Glad you achieved Mam Tor     :)     If you haven't done Back Tor, a bit further along the Great Ridge, that's another nice climb with great views

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:30:08, 04/09/17 »
Yes, sorry to hear about the knee too but glad to hear you had a good weekend overall. Grindsbrook Clough is a great way onto Kinder, I think, especially if you practically have it to yourself. As for Mam Tor, I think I've only seen it empty a couple of times and that was from a distance but always worth climbing it for the beautiful views into the valleys.

Enjoyed the trip report, looking forward to the pics.  O0 :)

stuartpb

« Reply #3 on: 12:59:15, 04/09/17 »
Thanks, my knee feels spot on today, not done much on it but no pain at all. It didn't spoil the weekend for me and I'm looking forward to getting out again soon. Dovegirl, thanks for the suggestion and I will definitely try Back Tor.

I've added some of the photos I took on the walks now.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:05:24, 04/09/17 »
Good to hear it sounds like your injury was nothing serious.

Great photos, love the one looking up Grindsbrook  O0
« Last Edit: 15:58:12, 04/09/17 by Ridge »

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:43:16, 04/09/17 »
Great TR and photos.  O0   Thanks for sharing

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:36:30, 04/09/17 »
Super photos    :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:25:17, 04/09/17 »
Lovely write up and photographs  O0

Sorry to hear your knee's giving you gyp.  Hope it's summat and nowt and it clears up soon of it's own accord  :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 06:50:53, 05/09/17 »
The pictures came out great, Stuart. I especially like the one of Grindsbrook too, and the one of Rushup Edge with the hang-gliders.  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:41:59, 05/09/17 »
Nice shots, hope your knee is ok though  O0 When we were at North Lees campsite above Hathersage we had a visitor who gnawed through the tent and ate cheese pasty and stole a block of cheese. We were ill for a few weeks afterwards we had eaten some of the food that may have been trodden on or nibbled before we realised. We blamed squirrels but it may have been mice or rats  :(
Hate will never win

stuartpb

« Reply #10 on: 06:22:19, 18/09/17 »
Thanks everyone  :)

My knee has been OK since I got back so it couldn't have been anything bad, probably just strained it a bit. Looking forward to going again this weekend!

Forkbeard

« Reply #11 on: 12:57:23, 26/10/17 »
Hi Stuart, I'm curious; does the campsite at Edale have a secure gear lock up or anything similar for lone travellers?

Nice pics and write up btw.
« Last Edit: 13:02:23, 26/10/17 by Forkbeard »

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:46:02, 26/10/17 »
Great pics I know the place well  O0

Hi Stuart, I'm curious; does the campsite at Edale have a secure gear lock up or anything similar for lone travellers?
No, but you could ask if they will keep stuff locked in the office for you :)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy