Author Topic: Rubbish and Litter on Wildcamp sites  (Read 706 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Rubbish and Litter on Wildcamp sites
« Reply #15 on: 15:25:43, 06/09/17 »
I'm a pessimist about litter. It will just go on and on, the effort involved and the time it will take to 'change peoples attitudes' will not be a priority for any government. Litter irritates me, I can't change it so I tell myself just live with it!

I had an off road run this morning through the local woods and on the short section which is tarmac, there are two more piles of household rubbish which were not there yesterday, plus a pile of beer bottles and beer cans as well. These I think looked as though they were just thrown randomly out of a car.

I thought I would test my prejudices when I stopped for a rest! Knowing the area as I do, I guessed that it was a the locals that did it! The nearby farmer that I often speak to always claims its just white van man/men who live within a couple of miles radius. Whilst I was getting my breath back I thought topically, what would three of our daily newspapers in particular, suggest as to who were the culprits? I asked myself, could it have been done by someone with a brown or black face, someone perhaps who's second language is English, perhaps he or she (could it really be a woman who would do such a thing?) might have come from Eastern Europe, my God, it might even have been a Traveller? I decided No to all of these, that would be a real fluke, I've never seen or heard of such a person in this area for well over 10 or more years.  :-\

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:18:29, 06/09/17 »

How do we solve the problem?

Keep locations to yourself, don't go publicising on Internet forums and hopefully the littering types will find another hobby

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:47:04, 06/09/17 »
Keep locations to yourself, don't go publicising on Internet forums and hopefully the littering types will find another hobby

When you say keep locations to yourself and another hobby are you referring to walking and driving along roads too? Litter is not just confined to so called "wild camping spots". There is litter left by these ignorant [censored] everywhere. Angle Tarn, Sty Head and the other "wild camping" hotspots are also hotspots for the sort of people who don't necessarily camp there but will leave their rubbish behind too after they have walked there from the car. On a mile stretch of the Langholm to Newcastleton road which is a narrow lane with nowhere you could possibly pitch a tent we could have filled 2 bin bags with plastic bottles, food cartons and wrappers. This must have been thrown out of car windows. On most of the paths in the Lakes, especially the more popular routes you could fill a bin bag of rubbish in a couple of hours - again nothing to do with wild camping. Are you suggesting we should all stop posting anything that gives the litter louts ideas? That would include walking then and driving in the countryside wouldn't it?  :)

"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:21:16, 06/09/17 »
When you say keep locations to yourself and another hobby are you referring to walking and driving along roads too?

No. Just referring to camping (as the thread title suggests)
 :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:52:26, 06/09/17 »
No. Just referring to camping (as the thread title suggests)
 :)

The OP mentioned camping at Sprinkling Tarn and Angle Tarn, both popular places for walkers and campers. Some of the rubbish was just as likely to have been left by people who weren't camping there so should that not be addressed too?

As for "keeping locations to yourself" referring to wild camping spots, there isn't a "secret list" anywhere that I know of. Most people who go wild camping walk about doing a few fells, they have a basic idea of where they would like to pitch, then pitch on a flat spot somewhere with a nice view. So these "locations" you mention would be more or less anywhere in the Lakes, they are not hard to find because there must be thousands of places to pitch! The sort of campers who leave rubbish are the ones who pitch low down or close to where their car is parked because they cant be arsed to walk very far.

I don't agree with your suggestion it is people like myself who post pics from wild camps that are contributing to the litter problem. If you are going to continue to insist it is then the pics you show us on this forum when you are out walking must also be contributing to the problem of litter left behind by walkers. You know I'm right  :)
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong