Author Topic: Lake District - Low level walks?  (Read 1505 times)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Lake District - Low level walks?
« on: 14:29:30, 06/09/17 »
I'm now committed to next week in Keswick and the forecast is not looking brilliant.  :(

I'm hoping for at least two good days for my main objectives of the Langdale Pikes and Haystacks/Fleetwith.  Now I don't mind rain and clag but I prefer to walk the tops when I can actually appreciate the views, so I'm looking for ideas for low level or half day walks on possible wet days. Back in 1999 when I had Mrs P in tow we did a few such walks.

ODG to Rosrhwaite via the Stake Pass.
Ambleside - Loughrigg Fell - Grasmere
Lakeside - Grisedale Forest - Hawkshead
Coniston and wander to Hawkshead
Grange to Rosthwaite following the river.

I don't particularly want to repeat any of these much as I enjoyed them, so I'm looking for any suggestions in case it's really wet or I want a lazy day. Catbells fits in and is planned for the afternoon of arrival. Hallin Fell is a possibility.

So may I pick the brains of those who really know the Lake District?  Thanks muchly.

Theo Frum

Re: Lake District - Low level walks?
« Reply #1 on: 15:01:05, 06/09/17 »
Low:
Circuit of Buttermere
Circuit of Derwentwater
Ullswater lakeside path & ferry return
Keswick - Seatoller
Eskdale, from Ravenglass to as high as you want to go, and return via La'al Ratty
(Keswick - Threlkeld along the old railway is also a good walk, but not until they've rebuilt the bridges)

Lowish:
Gable girdle
Walk through Skiddaw Forest past Skiddaw Hse YHA
Up Miterdale, down the Burnmoor corpse road to Wasdale head, then return via Wastwater screes.
Park at Mardale head, then over Nan Bield into Kentdale, over the track south of Shipman Knotts into Longsleddale, up Gatescarth pass, down Mosedale into Swindale, and then return via the Mardale corpse road.
Eskdale to Coniston via Grassguards and the Walna Scar Rd.

« Last Edit: 15:09:27, 06/09/17 by Theo Frum »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:16:23, 06/09/17 »
Solvitur Ambulando

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:19:21, 06/09/17 »
Latrigg and Walla Crag from Keswick and Barrow from Braithwaite.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:40:57, 06/09/17 »
Are you using the buses or in a car Penygadair?

One of my favourite low level walks is Seatoller - Castle Crag using the old toll road/bridleway that starts from Honister. The views of Castle Crag are lovely from the bridleway. You could return to Seatoller by the lower river path or make it a linear walk going by Hollows Farm and Grange and on to Keswick along the shore path.

The Catbells Terrace path by Manesty to Grange is nice, as is the walk on the other side of Catbells flanks to Littletown and up the valley to Dalehead Tarn then down to Borrowdale by Rigghead quarries.

I hope you do get some decent days though so you can enjoy it at its best  O0
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #5 on: 10:22:31, 07/09/17 »
In addition to all the walks that have been suggested, I would also add High Rigg.   I've done it in all sorts of weather, all year round and it's one of my favourite walks.   Not too high to do, even in bad weather.

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_99.html

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:30:07, 07/09/17 »
Thanks for all the replies. At least now I won't be stuck for ideas for wet or lazy days.

April. I'll be using the car but for Borrowdale and Honister I'll take the bus, despite fun with the buses years back. We wanted to return from Rosthwaite to Keswick when it was only an hourly service and word came through - while we were the only two at the bus stop -  that the open top bus had broken down and there was no spare vehicle. I looked at the timetables and crossed the road to wait for the Honister circular. Meanwhile the queue built up across the road and people wandered over to tell us we might as well walk to Seatoller! When the minibus turned up there was an almighty stampede to it - but first come first served.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:20:05, 07/09/17 »
Good luck with the Honister Rambler  ;D A few tips, watch out for the very aggressive OAP's who will knock you over to get on the bus  ;) If the bus driver seems to think he is a tour guide and stops at Honister Slate Mine for 45 minutes for people to have a look around instead of keeping to the timetable, tell him to get a move on. This happened to us, the bus had overheated and a five minute stop at the pass would have been enough for the bus to cool down as it is all downhill after that, 45 bleddy minutes we waited until I lost patience and angrily asked him when we would be setting off >:( The 77 and 77a are now being run from Workington instead of Carlisle and we have noticed a difference in the service reliability.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy