Author Topic: Meindl Vakuum top  (Read 173 times)

chip

Meindl Vakuum top
« on: 17:47:09, 06/09/17 »
Anyone know the difference between the Vakuum top gtx and the standard vakuum. The sole looks different at the back and the colour.
Are they designed for a different purpose. Thanks in advance.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Meindl Vakuum top
« Reply #1 on: 19:15:27, 06/09/17 »
I've not come across the Meindl Vakuum Top before but the difference appears to be that the normal Vakuum is what Meindl classify as a category B boot whereas the Vakuum Top is a category B/C boot.

Both boots are what would generally be known as 3-4 season boots suitable for year round use. The category B for use below the snowline and the category B/C can be used above the snowline with appropriate crampons.

The category B boot is not officially crampon compatible (although I know people use the normal Vakuum with flexible crampons occasionally.)
The category B/C boot is officially crampon compatible and will have a stiffer less flexible sole than the category B boot to allow it to be used with crampons.

This may help explain the Meindl boot categories/classifications and their appropriate uses http://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/infoPages/meindlBootGuide.php

chip

« Reply #2 on: 19:33:54, 06/09/17 »
Hi thanks for that,
Probably unsuitable for me then.
Still have an itch for some good leather boots and saw a pair of these on eBay for a reasonable price (150 new with tags but no box)

Thanks again.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:38:16, 06/09/17 »
What size boots are you looking for?

chip

« Reply #4 on: 19:42:27, 06/09/17 »
10.5, 11 depending on sizing.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:57:45, 06/09/17 »
It might be worth having a reread of this thread http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35086.0

I'll stick with advice I gave you in that thread and there's a few options mentioned that are worth considering but you really must visit a retailer or stockist to try before you consider buying online.

chip

« Reply #6 on: 20:17:10, 06/09/17 »
 ;D I know, I should just stick with what I have. Surfing the interwebb when bored costs me a fortune.