Author Topic: Lake District Help  (Read 1277 times)

gerrycon

Lake District Help
« on: 12:09:19, 10/09/17 »
Hi Forum Newbie here!

I am looking for a little help and advice. We are a group of not too fit blokes in our early 50's and are heading up to the Lake District in late October for 4 days. We all walk daily with our dogs and are walking approx 5-7 miles daily mainly on fairly flat terrain. We are trying to work out which routes/walks to Take from our base in Irton Hall. We don't really have any map reading or navigation experience and like the look of doing Great Gable, Haystacks from Wasdale Head or Honister and also Catbells and Buttermere.
Are these all do-able with our experience? We would like to walk within our capabilities but also to push ourselves a little! Any advice on the easiest way up and down great gable and any other general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Gerrycon

Woody

Re: Lake District Help
« Reply #1 on: 17:13:14, 10/09/17 »
Hi there Greeycon,
I've not stayed that side of the lakes before so don't know any walks local to Irton Hall, but in relation to those you've mentioned........
Great Gable can be challenging to a reasonably skilled map reader in poor weather conditions so if there's no one in your group who map reads, make sure you pick a day when there's NO possibility of low cloud or better still, either learn before you go or don't chance it. Haystacks or Great Gable from Honister are faves of mine but again, can be tricky in low cloud or heavy rain if you've no map to go from.
Catbells is a straight up and straight back on the same path and sounds well within your capabilities, similarly Buttermere, if you mean around the lake itself. Both are very nice walks but each one will only fill part of your day.

If you're all inexperienced hill walkers, stick to simple walks. Catbells, walla crag via ashness bridge starting and finishing in Great wood car park is another decent stroll with cracking views. Low level walks around the smaller lakes (Buttermere / Derwentwater) are always a good option as there's little chance of getting lost, just bear in mind although they are smaller than some of the lakes, Derwentwater is maybe 9 miles round!

wildCAMPER

« Reply #2 on: 18:36:33, 10/09/17 »
Hi Gerrycon - I'd echo what Woody said - if you guys are not skilled map readers - then the loftier peaks can be trickier in low cloud and poor visibility. Great Cable might well be a bit of a slog for you guys - however Haystacks is a favourite of mine too - and in clear weather and with plenty of time any keen walker would love it. For something a bit easier - I also enjoy walking around Buttermere lake, as well as the popular fells close to keswick such as walla crag (which is a little bit better than cat bells in my opinion).

I do have  a few blog posts on some of these routes (including loads of photos of the route and map) if you are interested too give you a feel for what to expect:

Haystacks walk - many peoples favourite best walks in the lake District: http://stuarthodgson.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/haystacks-walk-lake-district-photos-best-views.html

Buttermere Lake Walk - http://stuarthodgson.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/buttermere-lake-walk-lake-district.html

Walla Crag - my favourite route http://stuarthodgson.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/walk-from-keswick-castlehead-walla-crag-ashness-bridge.html

And finally - Catbells is a really popular walk for newbies - and there are a few ways to tackle it - some shorter than others - there are a few slightly different walking routes on this blog post http://stuarthodgson.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/cat-bells-walk-near-keswick-best-routes.html

From where you guys are based in Iron Hall - be sure to pay a visit to wastwater to see one of Britain's favourite views as the drive isn't far:

And a fell you might wish to consider is Low Fell - which is relatively unknown in the lakes - but for me provides another of my best Lake District views (see below) - which will be quite accessible from Irton hall in the car. Low fell is not much of a climb really - nice and gentle up hill - but the views of Crummock Water, Buttermere and Haystacks in the far distance are incredible - blog post here http://stuarthodgson.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/low-fell-walk-crummock-water-lake-district.html

Hope that helps - let me know how you get on!

Scrambledlegs

« Reply #3 on: 19:10:43, 10/09/17 »
Hello!

We stayed at Irton Hall in April. ( Pretty impressive hotel, highly recommend it especially if you hit on a good deal price). Wasdale is approx 4 miles away but there are some local forest walks starting in the grounds and there are fells visible from the front of the building. I'm not 100% on what they are so can't really advise.

The obvious one to me would be Scafell Pike from the national trust campsite at Wasdale Head. It's a good, strenuous walk on an obvious path used by lots of walkers of all ages.

If it's a little mundane sticking to the path you could adjust your route slightly bearing in mind that there are very steep, loose scree slopes and climbers routes up there so do keep your Witt's about you so you don't end up scrambling up something you can't get back down.

I haven't done Great Gable yet but it's on my bucket list.

Hope you all have fun. I love the lakes in October but I think it will be New Year before we're back.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy