Author Topic: High Raise, Thunacar Knott and Pavey Ark: central fells classic  (Read 1020 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
With weather forecasters predicting a cloudy start followed by very good visibility after 3pm last Saturday, I decided to have a long valley walk in followed by a high level traverse in the afternoon. Staying in Ambleside, I caught the 555 service to Grasmere. Leaving Grasmere I followed the coast to coast path through far Easedale to Mere Beck. After a short rain shower, I ascended to the wide ridge between High Raise and Ullscarf. As views opened up of NW fells, I made the final short ascent to High Raise, the highest of the central fells. It was my second visit to the summit. As I made my way to the summit, the western and NW fells were very clear while the eastern fells were clagged in. Is that panorama common? I walked across further marshy terrain to Thunacar Knott, the least spectacular summit. Enough said ;D . Thereafter, I made straightforward walk to Pavey Ark. This section could best be described as from the dull and dreary to the sublime. I descended via stickle ghyll to ODG. I think I can say that this was the first time I ascended by a river and descended by a waterfall. Not that I planned it that way. :)  Total distance was 15km. I caught the 516 service back to Ambleside.

Far Easedale and Calf crag:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor, nature and water

Calf crag:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, outdoor, nature and water

Far Easedale gill:
Image may contain: mountain, outdoor, nature and water

The eastern fells from ascent of High Raise:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

NW and western fells from High Raise:
Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

NW fells and Skiddaw from High Raise:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

NW fells and Bass Lake from High Raise:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

From Bowfell to Great Gable from High Raise:
Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, outdoor and nature

High Raise and NW fells from Thunacar Knott:

Coniston fells and Harrison Stickle from Thunacar Knott:

Southwards view from Pavey Ark:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Coniston fells and Harrison Stickle from Pavey Ark:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, plant, outdoor, nature and water

Stickle tarn and Windermere:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Top of Stickle Ghyll:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, plant, outdoor, nature and water

Stickle Ghyll:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, outdoor and nature

Stickle Ghyll and Great Langdale:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor, nature and water

Bowfell and the crinkles:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

April

• Veteran Member
Super photos henry  O0 It was a much better late afternoon and evening on Saturday. Love your shot of Far Easedale and the shots from High Raise especially  O0
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks April; the number of times the day has brightened up later in the afternoon is a very frequent occurrence for me. I always try to pick fells which I've yet to do but some fells I've done more than once simply because I'm fond of them - High Raise is one of those fells. My favourite photo was the far Easedale gill shot, taken near calf crag. :)  When I climbed Tarn crag earlier this year I decided then that I'd walk far Easedale at a later date. :)

beefy

• Veteran Member
some lovely shots there henry... O0
High Raise is one of my favourite viewpoints, tremendous  8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks beefy O0  My favourite view is that towards the Coledale fells from there O0

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Hope you're all nice warm and dry. I'm still sopping wet from Catbells in the rain today.

Had anyone else been on the summit I would have asked them to tale a photo of me sitting on the summit in pouring rain smoking a fag.

"Happiness is a hill called Catbells".

adalard

• Veteran Member
Fantastic photos, as usual, Henry.  O0

I've never walked High Raise - the views look incredible!

adalard

• Veteran Member
Hope you're all nice warm and dry. I'm still sopping wet from Catbells in the rain today.

Had anyone else been on the summit I would have asked them to tale a photo of me sitting on the summit in pouring rain smoking a fag.

"Happiness is a hill called Catbells".

I have the music from the Hamlet advert in my head now, Penygadair - though it sounds like Handel's Water Music might have been a more appropriate soundtrack to your summit smoke!  ;D

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks adalard and Penygadair; how does one overcome bad weather - return again again again and again - one day your luck changes :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Thanks adalard and Penygadair; how does one overcome bad weather - return again again again and again - one day your luck changes :)
You never win over the weather it will do what it wants and you will take it.

Great photos henry  O0

Penygadair

• Veteran Member

I have the music from the Hamlet advert in my head now, Penygadair - though it sounds like Handel's Water Music might have been a more appropriate soundtrack to your summit smoke!  ;D

And they told me Catbells was a little walk - not a wet scramble.  :D  windmill impersonations seen on descent  :-[

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy