Author Topic: High Raise, Thunacar Knott and Pavey Ark: central fells classic  (Read 167 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
With weather forecasters predicting a cloudy start followed by very good visibility after 3pm last Saturday, I decided to have a long valley walk in followed by a high level traverse in the afternoon. Staying in Ambleside, I caught the 555 service to Grasmere. Leaving Grasmere I followed the coast to coast path through far Easedale to Mere Beck. After a short rain shower, I ascended to the wide ridge between High Raise and Ullscarf. As views opened up of NW fells, I made the final short ascent to High Raise, the highest of the central fells. It was my second visit to the summit. As I made my way to the summit, the western and NW fells were very clear while the eastern fells were clagged in. Is that panorama common? I walked across further marshy terrain to Thunacar Knott, the least spectacular summit. Enough said ;D . Thereafter, I made straightforward walk to Pavey Ark. This section could best be described as from the dull and dreary to the sublime. I descended via stickle ghyll to ODG. I think I can say that this was the first time I ascended by a river and descended by a waterfall. Not that I planned it that way. :)  Total distance was 15km. I caught the 516 service back to Ambleside.

Far Easedale and Calf crag:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor, nature and water

Calf crag:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, outdoor, nature and water

Far Easedale gill:
Image may contain: mountain, outdoor, nature and water

The eastern fells from ascent of High Raise:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

NW and western fells from High Raise:
Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

NW fells and Skiddaw from High Raise:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

NW fells and Bass Lake from High Raise:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

From Bowfell to Great Gable from High Raise:
Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, outdoor and nature

High Raise and NW fells from Thunacar Knott:

Coniston fells and Harrison Stickle from Thunacar Knott:

Southwards view from Pavey Ark:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Coniston fells and Harrison Stickle from Pavey Ark:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, plant, outdoor, nature and water

Stickle tarn and Windermere:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Top of Stickle Ghyll:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, plant, outdoor, nature and water

Stickle Ghyll:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, outdoor and nature

Stickle Ghyll and Great Langdale:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor, nature and water

Bowfell and the crinkles:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

April

• Veteran Member
Super photos henry  O0 It was a much better late afternoon and evening on Saturday. Love your shot of Far Easedale and the shots from High Raise especially  O0
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks April; the number of times the day has brightened up later in the afternoon is a very frequent occurrence for me. I always try to pick fells which I've yet to do but some fells I've done more than once simply because I'm fond of them - High Raise is one of those fells. My favourite photo was the far Easedale gill shot, taken near calf crag. :)  When I climbed Tarn crag earlier this year I decided then that I'd walk far Easedale at a later date. :)

beefy

• Veteran Member
some lovely shots there henry... O0
High Raise is one of my favourite viewpoints, tremendous  8)
43 wild camps last year 28 this year ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks beefy O0  My favourite view is that towards the Coledale fells from there O0

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Hope you're all nice warm and dry. I'm still sopping wet from Catbells in the rain today.

Had anyone else been on the summit I would have asked them to tale a photo of me sitting on the summit in pouring rain smoking a fag.

"Happiness is a hill called Catbells".

adalard

• Veteran Member
Fantastic photos, as usual, Henry.  O0

I've never walked High Raise - the views look incredible!

adalard

• Veteran Member
Hope you're all nice warm and dry. I'm still sopping wet from Catbells in the rain today.

Had anyone else been on the summit I would have asked them to tale a photo of me sitting on the summit in pouring rain smoking a fag.

"Happiness is a hill called Catbells".

I have the music from the Hamlet advert in my head now, Penygadair - though it sounds like Handel's Water Music might have been a more appropriate soundtrack to your summit smoke!  ;D

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks adalard and Penygadair; how does one overcome bad weather - return again again again and again - one day your luck changes :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Thanks adalard and Penygadair; how does one overcome bad weather - return again again again and again - one day your luck changes :)
You never win over the weather it will do what it wants and you will take it.

Great photos henry  O0
Over hill, over dale. Thorough brush, thorough brier....
I do wander every where

Penygadair

• Veteran Member

I have the music from the Hamlet advert in my head now, Penygadair - though it sounds like Handel's Water Music might have been a more appropriate soundtrack to your summit smoke!  ;D

And they told me Catbells was a little walk - not a wet scramble.  :D  windmill impersonations seen on descent  :-[