Author Topic: Can anyone explain Pacer Poles to me  (Read 1553 times)

jethro10

Can anyone explain Pacer Poles to me
« on: 10:49:56, 22/09/17 »
Hi,
So I see these pacer poles out and about, very left field.
but must be different for a reason.
Now I can easily test them in a shop say, on the flat to see if they are comfortable. But on a steep downhill? I expand my normal pole, and use my hand on the top of the pole, not down the side of the grip so the force is, how to describe it, central perhaps?

If you have them, can you describe how pacer poles work on steep descents?

Thanks

J

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Can anyone explain Pacer Poles to me
« Reply #1 on: 11:20:06, 22/09/17 »
I have a pair and like them a lot. I originally bought them because with the other makes I always got sore skin between my thumb and forefinger which on long walks ended up as blisters. The Pacerpole handles have solved this for me, no more sore hands! What I find now is that I can press down on the handles both up and downhill, especially down, which for me is more effective than the grip style I used before. The Pacerpole grip style allows me to put more body weight onto the sticks, which I find is a better especially when its really steep and takes less body strength to do it. To be safe I always ensure that the pole sections are secure, especially on steeps descents, nothing worse than leaning on a pole to find that it starts to collapse.

The, on the flat, walking style is a bit different as well, more of a saunter really, casual and posy if you like, or you can swagger along fantasying that you are a Victorian country gent. I don't use walking sticks on the flat, unless I can't be bothered to put them away because I can see more hills up ahead. They are also good at pointing if someone asks for a direction.

Everything has a downside though, I bought the carbon fibre ones but they are still a bit heavier than other makes. The handles, when stored onto the outside of my rucksack do not look and feel neat. I have an Osprey Exos 48L bag, both poles are secured on the same side and If I do not ensure they are in the 'right' place they can touch my chin as I walk.

For me a good buy and I wouldn't want to go back to the other styles of poles.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:47:40, 22/09/17 »
Jethro, the grips are more natural than conventional poles in that they match the natural relaxed position of your hand so little effort is needed to grip them and they fall naturally into your hand giving very good control of the pole and power for walking. The technique for downhill is to either use them as normal with your hands set slightly lower or, if it is an extended steep descent, then you can lengthen them as for normal poles but the flange on the grip that rests under the ball of your thumb and along the edge of you hand takes the strain so your hand stays in the same position as for normal walking. This means you can continue with your normal grip and still retain full control of the positioning of the pole, whereas I have found placing my hand on top of a conventional pole during descent becomes uncomfortable and awkward.

My background is someone who has worn out 3 sets of normal walking poles (Leki, Komperdell and Kingfisher Expedition) and is now well into 2000 miles using carbon Pacerpoles.  Like GW, I would not willingly go back to conventional poles.  I also use my poles with 2 Osprey packs (Atmos and Kestrel) and have not had a stowage problem. The handles are bulkier than normal poles but the natural action on stowing them is to turn the handles away and down. I would not describe it as a drawback.

They are expensive though so they are best for people who regularly walk  with poles rather those who use poles as pack ornaments/
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:16:24, 22/09/17 »
Thanks ninthace, explained it far better than I could. You are right about the rucksack stowage, I just have make sure I've pushed them properly into the elasticated holder for comfort and as you say, to then turn the handles away and down. Also good for acorn golf when stopped and a bit bored!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:36:13, 22/09/17 »
Also good for acorn golf when stopped and a bit bored!

I also use mine as shooting stick to rest on while waiting for Mrs Ninthace to catch up  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

jethro10

« Reply #5 on: 14:58:06, 22/09/17 »
So,
because of the shape, I guess you run them a bit shorter normally, say on the flat. With normal poles, I have my elbow to hand horizontal, so the hand sits naturally in the pole handle, but pacer shape has it so my hand is a bit lower than the elbow?, and similar on a downhill I guess?

I walk the lake district. Bar holidays, birthdays, illness, weddings and really bad weather etc. I guess I walk 3 of 4 weekends on average for 6-8 hours, and every time I use my poles, similarly I don't put them away on the flat if I can't be bothered, but normally there is 3 of us, so we help out.

I have these clipped to my rucksack to make pole attaching quicker and easier.
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/walking/equipment/carabiners/karabiner-medium-p10875.aspx/purple/

Down sides - weight, quite a bit heavier than the Karrimor carbon poles I have.
Extension - I love the Cam action on my poles, great when wet or with gloves - just looking now, they don't have cam adjusters.
I may email them and ask if they have cam ones in the works.

EDIT: I see they do have cam lock, but only on a certain model. I'll investigate further...
Also just thought, looking at the site, what about the unusual shape and gloves on cold/wet days? is it ok for you?

J
« Last Edit: 15:07:52, 22/09/17 by jethro10 »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:27:18, 22/09/17 »
So,
because of the shape, I guess you run them a bit shorter normally, say on the flat. With normal poles, I have my elbow to hand horizontal, so the hand sits naturally in the pole handle, but pacer shape has it so my hand is a bit lower than the elbow?, and similar on a downhill I guess?

Down sides - weight, quite a bit heavier than the Karrimor carbon poles I have.
Extension - I love the Cam action on my poles, great when wet or with gloves - just looking now, they don't have cam adjusters.
I may email them and ask if they have cam ones in the works.

EDIT: I see they do have cam lock, but only on a certain model. I'll investigate further...
Also just thought, looking at the site, what about the unusual shape and gloves on cold/wet days? is it ok for you?

J

As to length. If you stand with your upper arm parallel to your body and hold your lower arm parallel to the ground and close your hand, thumb on top, then the hollow of your hand will be the shape of the grip and, if the pacerpole is the correct length, then the tip will sit naturally by the outside of your toe cap. It is about the same length as a conventional pole.
When I bought my poles from the lady that makes them, she said they had tried cam fastenings during the development process but she thought they spoiled the balance of the pole when in use.  If the carbon poles are exposed to a rapid change of temperature then they can slip so if you get out of a warm car into a frosty walk so it is worth giving them a quick tweak up after 10mins or so just to be sure but normally once they are set I don't have to touch them again. Other than that, I have never had them slip. I use poles all the time so I normally only have to set the length one per walk so cam or twist is irrelevant to me. If I was constantly putting them away and getting them out again it might be different but they are not really intended for that kind of use IMHO.

They are fine with gloves, better in some ways because you do not have to fight a damp or bulky glove through a thick wrist strap.  They have been used successfully on polar expeditions - don't see it as an issue!
« Last Edit: 17:31:35, 22/09/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:30:00, 22/09/17 »
The gloves, nah, couldn't be bothered!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:36:20, 22/09/17 »
The gloves, nah, couldn't be bothered!

Try snowshoeing across the North Pennines in the depths winter, you would wear gloves with your poles then!

Or did you mean the special gloves they supply to go with the poles? I wear ski gloves.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:10:00, 22/09/17 »
I've looked at these a few times but to me they put the pole at the wrong angle to the ground. Maybe it's because I also do Nordic skiing but they make the pole far to up right and you need the pole far too short, they just don't work for me. Also not gripping the pole and just using the wrist loops has been ingrained in me for too long to go back having to hold them all the time. If there so good how come you don't see Cross country skiers using them? 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:24:21, 22/09/17 »
I've looked at these a few times but to me they put the pole at the wrong angle to the ground. Maybe it's because I also do Nordic skiing but they make the pole far to up right and you need the pole far too short, they just don't work for me. Also not gripping the pole and just using the wrist loops has been ingrained in me for too long to go back having to hold them all the time. If there so good how come you don't see Cross country skiers using them?

How about this

John Macpherson; UK, North Pole Race - "I can say unreservedly that the Pacer Poles we used for the 2009 North Pole Race (450 Nautical miles) across the Ice were the single best piece of kit we took with us. I cannot recommend them highly enough
On a more practical note we experienced some of the terrible ice conditions in the arctic and despite personally breaking all my ski bindings (plus replacements) and both skis (no replacements were possible) the pacer poles not only never let us down but were bought home rather ceremoniously
"

Nordic enough for you?

See also

http://pacerpole.com/reviews/healthfitness-pacerpole-reviews
« Last Edit: 19:35:15, 22/09/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:39:49, 22/09/17 »
I like Pacers too.  One think though, if your shelter uses poles to put it up they can be a bit awkward given the way the end of the handle is offset from the rest of the pole.  They still work but not quite as well as normal poles.  That said they are better with my Tarptent Notch than they were with my SMD Skyscape Trekker.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:54:36, 23/09/17 »
Sorry, I was unclear. I use my own gloves so would not buy additions from Pacerpoles.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy