Author Topic: a really cheap 'waterproof' jacket  (Read 3102 times)

Ventasilurum

a really cheap 'waterproof' jacket
« on: 21:12:25, 01/10/17 »
I am fed up with high end jackets that fail to live up to their promises so now I am going the other way. Looking for a waterproof or at least reasonably waterproof jacket that is really cheap. I dont expect it to work for 8 hours of continual downpour but say an hour of rain or two. Whats the absolute cheapest jacket out there that kinda works if you can forgive some of lack of features etc

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: a really cheap 'waterproof' jacket
« Reply #1 on: 21:27:37, 01/10/17 »
Peter Storm. Totally waterproof, not very breathable and can be layered up in cooler weather.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:02:09, 01/10/17 »
Another vote for Peter Storm

Sloth

« Reply #3 on: 22:12:28, 01/10/17 »
Marmot Precipe. Light, waterproof and venting through zipped under arms. Around £40-50.  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:18:57, 01/10/17 »
Always worked for me  O0
Where there's a will ...

Ventasilurum

« Reply #5 on: 15:43:16, 02/10/17 »
precip at its lowest price is just about doable. Peter Storm slightly cheaper

Matchbox

« Reply #6 on: 16:43:52, 02/10/17 »
precip at its lowest price is just about doable. Peter Storm slightly cheaper
Peter Storm jackets are rubbish as they start letting in rain water after a couple of months. And their waterproof breathable membrane is so weak that it starts to peal off if you wash the jacket in a washing machine. The same problem with Reggatta and other discount outdoor jackets.

You can get some good quality waxed jackets for the same price as a Peter Storm or Regatta jacket. And they are very easy to reproof these days thanks to Nikwax two coats of that and a jacket is as good as new.

Or you could buy a none waterproof jacket and spray it with a good water repellent spray. But you need to buy one which has a very dense tightly woven fabric. Army surplus jackets given a coating of wax make great outdoor jackets and are fairly cheap. Again I would reccommend Nikwax cotton proof as it is easy to apply to canvas jackets.

Ventasilurum

« Reply #7 on: 16:55:18, 02/10/17 »
there is always a compromise to be had at this end of the scale so I guess its what works best on balance

jethro10

« Reply #8 on: 18:48:32, 02/10/17 »
That's become my general philosophy with expensive gear.
Ripped one on a fence, a couple hundred quid down the pan.
Saw a guy with a brand new super duper multicoloured Rab down jacket. First time out. Got ripped with a walking pole end.

So now I chose a specification for myself and usually buy the cheapest that meets the spec. Had great results with Decathlon and Regatta. Give them a look.
If I ever go to the Alps or Antarctica I may have to buy some new stuff, but for the lake District, Decathlon and Regatta have seen me fine for years.
J

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:15:20, 02/10/17 »
Some cheap general purpose waterproof jackets in Asda at the moment... the only problem is, they've put the security pin/tag through the waterproof membrane - doh!  ;D

Ventasilurum

« Reply #10 on: 19:56:08, 02/10/17 »
Decathlon is a good shout, had stuff from them before and it 'does the job'

Cairncamper

« Reply #11 on: 19:11:56, 04/10/17 »
I think poor seam taping, cheap quality tape and poor stitching can be an issue on budget stuff. You need to inspect a jacket more if it's budget. One thing that really annoys me, is when they dont centre the tape over the stitching properly, so you have loads of excess tape over one side of the stitching, and the other side of the tapes edge is right next to the stitching. Like this on this old jacket of mine. same sleeve. one seam is taped fine, the other is right on the edge of the stitching, and the tape has delaminated over the stitching. If the tape was centred properly, it wouldnt matter so much if the edge of the tape delaminated.

https://s1.postimg.org/8kq5vedpan/WIN_20171004_190744.jpg

https://s1.postimg.org/7f94tbfe5b/WIN_20171004_190841.jpg

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:02:35, 04/10/17 »
I have a Regatta "pac-a-mac".  100% waterproof.  100% not breathable due to it being laminated/taped seams - it would feel cold/clammy next to bare skin/short sleeves due to sweat.  It has kept me dry from rain in some pretty horrendous weather but, due to my layering system, I've never felt cold even when my layers are damp from sweat.  I wouldn't use it in the depths of winter in the mountains but for general purpose walking it's been ideal as it scrunches up into the size of a large jacket potato(!!!) and sits in the bottom of my rucksack.

I paid £7.99 for it.

Cairncamper

« Reply #13 on: 21:10:22, 04/10/17 »
Breathability has nothing to do with the seams Mel. It's the waterproof membrane that makes it breathable. Your jacket doesn't have a waterproof membrane, but it will be made of nylon or polyester, with a waterproof PU coating.

I have a Peterstorm pac a mac and it's poorly made. Seam taping isn't very good and started to delaminate early on, and its only good for light, short rain showers.

Ventasilurum

« Reply #14 on: 21:22:13, 04/10/17 »
Marmot Precip now on order..... :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy