Author Topic: Edale to Mam Tor  (Read 1679 times)

Mowgley

Edale to Mam Tor
« on: 22:28:51, 11/10/17 »
Hi everyone

On Saturday me and my 9 year old son will be arriving at Edale train station and attempting to do this walk.
Any tips would be very much appreciated

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Edale to Mam Tor
« Reply #1 on: 23:43:09, 11/10/17 »
If you are taking the route up to hardenclough farm beware of speedy mountain bikes coming down the hill, silent but deadly  O0
Enjoy your walk
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Lazar

« Reply #2 on: 00:38:51, 12/10/17 »
Not sure which direction your coming from but a better walk is from Hope station up Losehill and along the ridge to Mam Tor.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:39:49, 12/10/17 »
Another alternative, which I've used in the past, is to take the public footpath near The Rambler that heads west to Barber Booth and then head south on the road to join the Chapel Gate path. This takes you to the western end of Rushup Edge which has some great views (including of Mam Tor itself as you approach) and is easy walking. You can head back down to Edale from Hollins Cross.

Lazar's suggestion of using Hope station is also a good one. When I used to travel out from Manchester, I'd often use a combination of stations on that line to do a linear walk - and the Great Ridge is a fine walk.

Ralph

« Reply #4 on: 10:22:36, 12/10/17 »
I agree with adalard, the path up Chapel Gate to Rushup Edge and onto Mam Tor is a great walk and never busy. Then onto Hollins Cross and down through the farm back to Edale.Enjoy it.

Mowgley

« Reply #5 on: 13:09:27, 12/10/17 »
Many thanks all.  How long time wise would you say the walk is adalard. 

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:27:30, 12/10/17 »
I'd estimate it would be between 3 or 4 hours perhaps? It really depends on your fitness levels and how much walking you and your son do. A lot of people would maybe do it quicker - I'm not a particularly fast walker.

John Walker

« Reply #7 on: 20:06:53, 12/10/17 »
Hi Mowgley
Yes, I also agree with Adalard, the walk from Edale to Chapel Gate, then Rushup Edge to Mam Tor then to Hollins Cross and back down to Edale is a great walk, not too difficult and with brilliant views over the Edale Valley to Kinder and also south to Castleton etc. We did that circular walk a year ago and it took me ( a 70+ geriatric) around 3 hours of actual walking time (extra time needed for sitting around to admire the scenery... ;), it's around 7.5 miles.  You can see the track we took and some details of the walk at my website here.
I'm sure you will both enjoy it.
JW
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

Mowgley

« Reply #8 on: 21:32:47, 12/10/17 »
Many thx to you both.
John that's a great write up by the way  O0

John Walker

« Reply #9 on: 17:54:37, 14/10/17 »
Hi Mowgley
Thanks for the nice comment  :) .  Do let us know how the walk goes (whichever route you choose...)
Best
JW
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

Mowgley

« Reply #10 on: 21:25:21, 14/10/17 »
Well we couldn't of chosen a better day for our 1st venture into the Peak District.
Weather was perfect, we decided as it was our first walk we would go steady so we went via hardenclough to Mam tor then across the ridge to barber booth and back into Edale.
This will be the first walk of many I think  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:10:18, 14/10/17 »
Pleased to hear you had a good time, hook them at 9.

My 19 year old son was out somewhere in the Peaks today having started walking with me at about 9.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy