Author Topic: Light(er) Leather boots  (Read 917 times)

Forkbeard

Light(er) Leather boots
« on: 10:43:17, 15/10/17 »
I'm currently using a pair of Berghaus hillmaster boots that weigh just under 1500g. I have a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mids that way about 600g. Is there an option for lighter leather boots? I'm not expecting them to be as light, just somewhere in the middle. I've not found the Salomons to be particularly waterproof in heavier weather, but they're as comfortable as slippers and have spoilt me for other boots!

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Light(er) Leather boots
« Reply #1 on: 11:12:14, 15/10/17 »
Is that for the pair or just one boot?

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:25:58, 15/10/17 »

I have some Lowa renegades (about 580 gms per boot, size 7) which are just like slippers - but - the first pair let in water after about 1200 or 1300.  After trying all manner of lightweight boots on I gritted my teeth and bought another pair.  Not sure they did as much as a thousand before a bit of water seeped in.
So I bought a pair of Scapa terras (600gms per boot) also very comfortable but I did put some Sidas insoles in for a bit of extra cushioning. 
But, I still wear the Lowas for local walks where it doesn't matter if I get slightly damp feet, and as I live close to the sea I like to keep an old pair for the beach anyway.  They are still the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.
I'm not sure how well the Scapas will perform in terms of lasting.  They probably haven't done 500 miles yet.
And if it's any help, the first Lowas replaced some lightweight Salomons, so they might be a similar kind of fit.

Forkbeard

« Reply #3 on: 13:59:42, 15/10/17 »
Is that for the pair or just one boot?

Good question, to be honest I didn't give it much thought and just used the specified weight as a measure between one pair of boots and another, not their actual real life weight and effect as worn. I just know that my Berghaus are more than twice that of the Salomons and now seem really heavy in comparison.

If I had to guess though I'd say per pair.

Forkbeard

« Reply #4 on: 14:01:56, 15/10/17 »
I have some Lowa renegades (about 580 gms per boot, size 7) which are just like slippers - but - the first pair let in water after about 1200 or 1300.  After trying all manner of lightweight boots on I gritted my teeth and bought another pair.  Not sure they did as much as a thousand before a bit of water seeped in.
So I bought a pair of Scapa terras (600gms per boot) also very comfortable but I did put some Sidas insoles in for a bit of extra cushioning. 
But, I still wear the Lowas for local walks where it doesn't matter if I get slightly damp feet, and as I live close to the sea I like to keep an old pair for the beach anyway.  They are still the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.
I'm not sure how well the Scapas will perform in terms of lasting.  They probably haven't done 500 miles yet.
And if it's any help, the first Lowas replaced some lightweight Salomons, so they might be a similar kind of fit.

After doing a bit of reading I've ended up with another pair of Salomons, hopefully a bit more waterproof. If I need 100% waterproof I'll wear the Berghaus  - other than being a bit weighty the quality is faultless and waterproofing is also.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy