Author Topic: Looking for a new winter jacket.  (Read 1083 times)

lostone98

Looking for a new winter jacket.
« on: 23:55:10, 12/01/18 »
looking to replace my present jacket, I live in south Wales and looking for a replacment walking jacket that will be mostly for light walks with the dog and for town.

Not sure what to go for, it has to be insulated, robust jacket and it only needs to be for the winter months. my budget is about £300.
« Last Edit: 01:52:04, 13/01/18 by lostone98 »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Looking for a new winter jacket.
« Reply #1 on: 09:50:52, 13/01/18 »
looking to replace my present jacket, I live in south Wales and looking for a replacment walking jacket that will be mostly for light walks with the dog and for town.

Not sure what to go for, it has to be insulated, robust jacket and it only needs to be for the winter months. my budget is about £300.

For that sort of use I've tended to go with Helly Hansen stuff. I've always liked the non-brand brand it has (don't want to be be another North Face/SupaDry dad clone) and they do make some very good stuff. So you could check out their parkas like the Shoreline, Coastline or Galway ones.

My last one lasted me best part of a decade and went skiing successfully on occasion - that was a Dubliner with a removable furr hood trim. I think that was the fashion at the time.

With Helly their waterproof fabric is HellyTech and comes in 3 levels, with the best being Professional. The lower end one's have lower HH and MVT stats but to be honest, for shorter walks and with the insulation buffering things, I've always found it fine even at the low end.

There's always Paramo - less insulation but better breathability. However I personally wouldn't want to wear mine around town as I think it looks too hill-walking. But YMMV

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
Paul

Kukkudrill

« Reply #3 on: 20:59:20, 25/01/18 »
Jack Wolfskin make good jackets too. I have a Halifax parka which is excellent - waterproof, very warm and plenty of pockets. This particular model is no longer in their product lineup and I don't know what the current equivalent is, but as a point of reference the Halifax weighs about 1.5kg.
Make the most of the available light

Mylo

« Reply #4 on: 01:19:04, 26/01/18 »
A relatively new brand but a friend bought this and swears by it, can't fault it

http://shop.dannah.uk.com/mens-lightweight-waterproof-alpine-jacket/ [nofollow]

Seriously tempted myself.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy