Author Topic: Advice re Bannisdale Horseshoe  (Read 1522 times)

Pitlamp

Advice re Bannisdale Horseshoe
« on: 07:48:23, 20/01/18 »
Wainwright's Outlying Fells book describes a circuit of Bannisdale (in the Shap Fells area). Looking at the map though, there are walls in the way. Please can anyone who knows this walk advise on whether these walls are a problem? For example, are they broken down? Or are there stiles? I don't want to upset anybody by going where I shouldn't.

Thanks.

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice re Bannisdale Horseshoe
« Reply #1 on: 23:26:23, 20/01/18 »
I have only done the round once in 2015 but I can't remember climbing any walls. There is definitely a big ladder stile near Long Crag which is the only really substantial wall I remember crossing. We were Birkett bagging so started from Dryhowe Bridge whereas I think Wainwright starts from nearer the A6 so there might be a wall to climb on that section.
Some pics from the day here- http://www.karlswalks.co.uk/2015/bannisdale-08-03-15.html
HTH ;)

Pitlamp

« Reply #2 on: 07:27:27, 21/01/18 »
Thanks Karl - and congratulations on some very fine photographs!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:05:34, 21/01/18 »
Here is the route I followed

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2732
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ujwptnfrtcjpxghm

From my notes:  This route largely follows Wainwright's route in his book "The Outlying Fells of Lakeland". The route is harder than it looks on paper due to the nature of the ground which is boggy and tussocky a lot of the time. There are no paths for much of the route and it should be avoided in poor visibility. This route avoids most of the difficult fence and wall crossings but you will still need to cross one wall and one barbed wire fence. 18km, ascent/descent 659m, 5hrs. Recorded 15/03/16.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitlamp

« Reply #4 on: 12:59:14, 21/01/18 »
That's a great help; thanks - and thanks for the advice about the bogs / tussocks.

Think this one might be better done if we get the usual long dry spell in late spring, to dry up the bogs a bit.

Pitlamp

« Reply #5 on: 15:19:03, 25/03/18 »
That's a great help; thanks - and thanks for the advice about the bogs / tussocks.

Think this one might be better done if we get the usual long dry spell in late spring, to dry up the bogs a bit.

Well, I lost patience waiting for a long spell of dry weather and ran the Bannisdale Horseshoe yesterday. It was indeed tussocky and very wet underfoot (but this wasn't really a problem in fell running shoes, although it made for slow progress and the run took me 3 hours). Really enjoyed it and just wanted to thank those folk above who took the trouble to provide valuable information.

I used the Wainwright (Outlying Fells book) route, starting from the parking spot he suggests not far from the A6. 75% of this was blocked by piled up gravel, so only room for one vehicle. I note (from another internet source) that the potential alternative parking spot near Dryhowe Bridge was also almost obscured by piled gravel. Just saying, so that future visitors are aware (and have a range of alternatives for parking ready).

I found this route to be a paradise of peace and tranquility. Didn't see a single person all the way round (even though it was weekend and a sunny afternoon). I also didn't see a single piece of litter, so the plastic bag which I always carry in the bum bag (for stuffing litter in) remained unused for once.

There are other potential horseshoe walks / runs in the Shap fells area; think I'll be back for more before too long . . .

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:04:00, 25/03/18 »
There are a few. The Mosedale horseshoe for example. If you go to haroldstreet.org.uk and from the front page select Ninthace in the top contributors box on the right it will shortcut you to my page. Scroll down and select view ninthace’s contributions by map and you can zoom in and find other routes in that area. (Sorry this not meant to be a plug)
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitlamp

« Reply #7 on: 11:10:15, 26/03/18 »
Great - I'll do that; thanks.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy