Author Topic: Day Pack  (Read 2299 times)

RogerA

Day Pack
« on: 10:44:47, 05/02/18 »
I'm looking for a new backpack, my current one is fine, its actually a commuter pack and works well, however I'm finding it more useful to use this for my laptop for work and so would like to buy something new for walking / hiking.

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions or could clue me up on what I should be looking at when buying one.

I dont need it to be big, 25-30l is big enough with room to spare. (I really only carry a spare layer, waterproof, waterbottle, flask ands some small odds and ends)
My previous pack had no hip support, I dont really know how useful this would be.
I do a lot of walking at night, so reflective strips would be a bonus but not essential. (I can soon add some velcro reflective patches).

Thanks,

Roger

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Day Pack
« Reply #1 on: 10:59:08, 05/02/18 »
Look at Camelbak's website.
They manufacture some very high quality packs, most of which accommodate their useful hydration system, and are in the right capacity size you are looking for.
Obviously Berghaus, and the other companies, have their own sacks, but i have little experience with those, so cannot advise you.
I have a Camelbak cloud breaker model, i bought many years ago, and its been loaned out several times, so has scaled the Three peaks on several occasions, not with me in tow, but on the backs of friends who were doing the mountains for charity reasons.
I have not done Scaffel Pike yet, but they all commented on how useful the sack was, especially its hydration facility.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:51:40, 05/02/18 »
Best to go and have a look at some.  Many packs in that size range are hydration compatible if that's what you want, although you didn't mention that.  I'm a Lowe Alpine fan having set out many years ago now to buy an Osprey pack, but I found that they didn't suit my particular body shape.
Where there's a will ...

MichaelUK

« Reply #3 on: 11:54:36, 05/02/18 »
Try the Deuter web site. Ive just purchased their Futura 26 for £65, retail in shops for £100 or more. Excellent back system, as I sweat like a horse! Very comfortable and ample space for a day pack. Some find them heavy due to back system used. They are based in Newcastle, under the umbrella of the Mountain Boot Company, who supply retailers

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:30:18, 05/02/18 »
He probably did not know about a hydration system, or if he did, forgot to mention it.
Nobody can survive long once your dehydrated, and having a sack, of whatever capacity, with a built in hydration system, is a more than useful facility.

My friends wife, borrowed my Cloud breaker, three years ago, whilst doing the Three Peaks, in August of 2014.
She did them in almost heatwave conditions, and commented on just how beneficial having my sack was, especially on Scaffel Pike.

Her photographs from the summit of Ben Nevis, were remarkable for the clarity, and i was slightly envious that she had such magnificent weather.

Carrying a separate water bottle is alway's a nuisance, as you have to physically reach for it every time,   thats why a Hydration sack is almost an essential bit of it, as you can sip water every few minutes, staying hydrated at all times.

Sloth

« Reply #5 on: 12:39:39, 05/02/18 »
I'm with susamb, Low Alpine, Airzone. Fits me well and has all the bells and whistles.

pilgrimgp7

« Reply #6 on: 12:43:16, 05/02/18 »

Try the Deuter web site. Ive just purchased their Futura 26 for £65, retail in shops for £100 or more. Excellent back system, as I sweat like a horse! Very comfortable and ample space for a day pack. Some find them heavy due to back system used. They are based in Newcastle, under the umbrella of the Mountain Boot Company, who supply retailers

Thanks for the info MichaelUK that's a great price. I'll have a look as I want some Deuter pockets.

RogerA if you need a bit of kit try Ultimate Outdoors which is an offshoot of Millets I think. For £50 I bought a Haglofs 25 litre rocspeed for a daysack which is retail £100 plus & has stowable hipbelt but I tell you what that little bag will carry over 20 kilos more than comfortably. Also an Osprey Aether AG 70 litre for £140 which is retail £200 in Cotswold Outdoor & £180 in Go Outdoors. Lifetime warranty & I should think so at those prices.

Somebody is making a killing financially & it isn't the walker that has to stump up the cash to buy the goods I know but what price comfort on the hills? Priceless. Anybody who has used an incorrectly sized rucksack & carried even 2 or 3 kilos for a few miles will know it pays dividends to get what is correct for your size & shape.

I've got a 45 litre berghaus climbing rucksack & the Haglofs will carry more weight more comfortably which is a big plus for me but if you are just carrying a few odds & ends the hipbelt shouldn't be needed too much I wouldn't have thought.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:27:05, 05/02/18 »
LIDL, bought what looks like a reasonable backpack for £12.99. Reasonable straps, space in back for hydration bladder. Waterproof cover comes as part of the kit. Air vent back. Enough space to carry two 1litre water bottles in the side pockets, gaiters, poncho, waterproof trousers, hat, spare socks, Snacks, small stove +small gas bottle, mug. Top opening and mid opening with a zip able internal divider.

Downsides are, they are definitely for those under 6' foot tall as it does not sit down on the hips well (I am 6'3"), I could do with another 2" on the back at least. The chest strap also tends towards those with a combined chest size. ( jackets etc) of less than 48").  The waist strap is of the webbing variety so can cut in a bit, I bought a pair of kiddies car seat belt pads ( Velcro variety and popped them onto the webbing, (£1.50 job sorted).  I will use it again as I don't carry too much weight in a day pack. Currently looking to see if I can adjust it in any way reasonable to fit my body better, I don't hold out much hope though. Cannot see where I got it snagged on branches so reasonably tough.

So in short great value for money pack available as and when from Lidl ( and therefore probably from Aldi), but really only for those under 6' tall.
Too little, too late, too bad......

RogerA

« Reply #8 on: 15:23:13, 05/02/18 »
Thanks for the replies.

I've just been to try some more on. My issue is that if I go for anything with a hip strap, my body is long in proportion to my legs so for many the hip strap is well above the hips. This included various models of Deuters, Mountain Warehouse, Eurohike, Vango, Technicals, Oex etc.

The osprey talon 33 has an adjustable back and can stretch to be okish and very light but only fits my waist at full stretch - I'm sort of uncomfortable buying something where I'm pushing the adjustments right to limit to fit.

Theres a Berghaus freeflow 35 thats not too bad but I couldnt find anyone to help me make sure was adjusted right so left that shop unsure

The Lowe Alpine Airzone 35 fits well though so I think I'll look for a good price on that somewhere (£99 seems steep to me - but perhaps I'm just being tight).

Thanks for all your advice.

As an aside on hydration packs, I find I get on well with 500ml bottles of water / a flask. I guess its a personal thing, perhaps if I had a hydration pack I might find I loved it but its not something I find the need for now.

Daveyboy

« Reply #9 on: 15:43:00, 05/02/18 »
Are you absolutely certain of the size of the Airzone 35 you tried on ?

The reason for asking is that I feel it may well have been the standard back length that is more commonly stocked by the majority of outlets.

That being the case, then it may pay you to try and track down the "large version" which has a 50mm longer back length to see if that suits you even more

RogerA

« Reply #10 on: 15:54:28, 05/02/18 »
Yes, I saw that, theres a tab on in seam that says something like Pack Length : Regular, I asked about other sizes but the assistant didnt know about that.

That said it was definately a Lowe Alpine Airzone Pro + 35:45 (I took a snap of the lable) and it seemed the best fit

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:37:03, 05/02/18 »
The osprey talon 33 has an adjustable back and can stretch to be okish and very light but only fits my waist at full stretch - I'm sort of uncomfortable buying something where I'm pushing the adjustments right to limit to fit.

The Osprey Talon 33 is available in 2 different back lengths S/M and M/L so it depends which size you tried on?

The problem with the short waist belt straps has been discussed before and is easily remedied with some waist belt strap extenders easily obtained F.O.C. from Osprey (see link below).
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34964.0

RogerA

« Reply #12 on: 16:49:38, 05/02/18 »
The Osprey Talon 33 is available in 2 different back lengths S/M and M/L so it depends which size you tried on?

The problem with the short waist belt straps has been discussed before and is easily remedied with some waist belt strap extenders easily obtained F.O.C. from Osprey (see link below).
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34964.0

I tried on a M/L - the S/M was nowhere near long enough even at full stretch. I think its just made with a smaller model of person in mind. Shame though it looks a great pack.
Good to know about waist belt straps - I'll file that one in case I need another time.

Thanks

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:38:47, 05/02/18 »
The Lowe Alpine Airzone 35 fits well though so I think I'll look for a good price on that somewhere (£99 seems steep to me - but perhaps I'm just being tight).

You should be able to get it cheaper than that, IIRC I paid about £60 for mine.

Edit: This any good

https://www.gaynors.co.uk/equipment-c153/rucksacks-c155/daysacks-c160/airzone-pro-35-45-p1423
« Last Edit: 19:50:21, 05/02/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:08:10, 06/02/18 »
I am a deuter fan also, worth checking their website
you have 1 life live it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy