Author Topic: Wales to Northwich - Help  (Read 1591 times)

goodier86

Wales to Northwich - Help
« on: 15:55:43, 26/02/18 »
Hi all,

I am in the process of organising a walk (which is something I have never organised before on this scale)

The route which I want to do is starting in Wales somewhere in the north, maybe Hollywell etc, and the end destination would be in Davenham Northwich (Cheshire)

I need to make sure there is a path or such like for safety reasons, and do not mind river walks, towns etc etc.  I have found a route that I like but part of it has no path and you need to walk on the A road which is a no go.

Should anyone have any tips, ideas or no any routes I could look at - please do get in contact with me, I will be ever so grateful

Thank you in advance!

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Wales to Northwich - Help
« Reply #1 on: 17:26:28, 26/02/18 »

Are you wanting a one-day walk or multi-day ?

Have you considered walking the Canal tow-paths ?
Say Llangollen to Northwich.

Llangollen Canal, Shropshire Union, Trent and Mersey canal to Northwich. is 67 miles.

You could obviously pick up the Llangollen canal further along if you want to reduce the distance - its great to walk over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct.

goodier86

« Reply #2 on: 07:30:20, 27/02/18 »
Hi Alan,

Thank you for the reply, I have been looking at the canal route last night and it is looking like I will be getting on around Hurleston Junction which makes it around 32 miles.

The walk will be done in one day... It is a challenge we do every year for a local charity.

Murphy

« Reply #3 on: 07:39:21, 27/02/18 »
Are you from Davenham?

goodier86

« Reply #4 on: 08:30:40, 27/02/18 »
Northwich.. :)

Murphy

« Reply #5 on: 17:41:24, 27/02/18 »
Ditto....

Canal route sounds the best option - can't think of much else suitable.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:23:40, 27/02/18 »
Follow the NW  national  cycle route N55 ?  From Fliint Shotton Queensferry to River Dee into Chester Then Shropshire Union canal  at City Rd . Its the start of the ,
Baker Way about 13 Miles towpath track trail all the way to Delamere Forest .
Then pick up the Delamere way which God's NE direction .Then onto Acton Bridge station and go on lane hill top rd to Acton  lane cross bridge on Weaver navigation River heading  East NCW .
.North Cheshire Way along river trail to Bypass Anderton boat lift
 After Shipyards woods follow trail along to pickup Towpath on Cheshire ring then off down Marburg lane out of the country park .To Witton  Brook  and find your way across Northwich town to Pick up the weaver way trail Along the River Weaver going south  . To Hartford Bridge . then off onto path to go up to Dagenham .
 Hope this helps .
Zizag  ;D

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:26:05, 27/02/18 »
Goodier86
 Pardon my bad spelling IE ( shipyard woods ) should be Hopyard woods of Marbury park and lane .
And whoops !!!!!

Dagenham ............Is Davenham.
 ;D  As you well know , as your a Northwich lad  O0
I'm sure you can plot some route from what I've given you  :)

goodier86

« Reply #8 on: 22:50:56, 27/02/18 »
Thank you all for your replies..
Murphy: you’re more than welcome to join us should you wish? We will be having a few in the Oddies afterwards as well:)

Zizag: thank you for the detailed info, it is very helpful indeed and something I will check out in the morning. Have you do any of them walks yourself, and roughly any idea how many miles from start to finish?

Thank you all again!

goodier86

« Reply #9 on: 22:52:02, 27/02/18 »
Don’t worry about your spelling, mine is awful!

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:50:46, 27/02/18 »
Hi goodier86
I walked the Baker Way 13 miles from Chester to Delamere forest
Took a leisurely 6 hours .
Day hike   lovely scenic walk tracks trails open pastureland and hills around Delamere .
IE   quite a steep Incline around Brian's Brow .

One of the best hikes I did was the North to south Sandstone trail from Frodsham to Whitchurch  , which was a 3 day hike .It was on TV recently again Julia Bradbury walked It . I've also walked parts of Delamere way and come back on the Eddisbury way .
Another one I found was the Longster trail  12 mile hike from Helsby to Pipers Ash In Chester .  As I live In Cheshire these are all my favourite walks hikes  :) O0

goodier86

« Reply #11 on: 14:46:01, 28/02/18 »
Perfect. Thank you for this - I will check this out later today.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy