Author Topic: How do you keep your feet warm?  (Read 2014 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
How do you keep your feet warm?
« on: 20:19:41, 01/03/18 »
I thought I would ask something to do with todays weather. I went out for a stroll in the snow this afternoon, (its actually snowed in Portsmouth!) I only strolled a couple miles along the sea fromt but when I arrived back home my feet were feeling a bit cold. I was wearing my Berghause Superlight 2s all leather boots and a pair of thickish wool walking socks. Please tell me how do you your keep your feet warm?

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: How do you keep your feet warm?
« Reply #1 on: 20:29:46, 01/03/18 »
Put them on my wife's back! :D :D

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:30:57, 01/03/18 »
Good circulation.  O0

I was wearing the same socks and boots today, on top of Dartmoor, that I wear out on the moors in August.  My feet didn't get cold and they don't get too hot in the summer.  Though in summer I'll only be wearing boots if it's wet underfoot, otherwise it's walking trainers.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:42:25, 01/03/18 »
Two pairs of socks.  Always do, never have feet that are cold or too warm.
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:02:09, 01/03/18 »
I never notice my feet  when I am up and about but the second I hit the sack they become blocks of ice. Have been thinking of getting  some down bootees to sleep in when I am camping. Anyone got any experience of them. When walking I also wear two pairs socks thin bamboo next to feet with thicker merino over them.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:39:54, 01/03/18 »
Put them on my wife's back! :D :D

+1.

Not a problem when I am walking though.
Solvitur Ambulando

HikerSte

« Reply #6 on: 23:48:24, 01/03/18 »
I used to get cold feet with my last boots - Asolo

For the past 2 years I've had Alt Berg's and never had cold feet once, even in snow and sub zero's.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:06:30, 02/03/18 »
Thin merino socks (like office type socks, not walking ones) and then thicker wools ones

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:29:06, 02/03/18 »
I would agree with the others.

2 pairs of thinner wool socks are much better than 1 thick pair as the heat will be held in the air gaps between the fibres and the separate pairs.

You may not like them but adding a pair of gaiters will also help and if your boots are suitable a pair of the Berghaus Yeti Attack or Wilderness gaiters which cover the whole boot are even better.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:34:40, 02/03/18 »
I used to get problems with cold feet and chilblains until I started taking gingko biloba tablets. I think they must thin your blood and improve the circulation. No side effects for me but check if you take tablets for some conditions like high blood pressure because they may not be suitable.
Regards Keith

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:53:18, 02/03/18 »
About a mile into a walk my feet get toasty warm, whatever the weather, whatever the footwear.  It's only when I'm sat a while they get cool down and get cold.

Stube

« Reply #11 on: 21:49:02, 02/03/18 »
I've found that even thin wool socks are much warmer than much thicker so called thermal synthetic socks.

Some boots/shoes are just cold - and no amount of sock makes much difference -keep for summer use only!

At night the Wife's handy since she hogs the wheat bags!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:32:04, 03/03/18 »
I never get cold feet when walking... and I only wear one pair of mid weight socks.  If anything, my feet can get too warm, even in the current temps! :o
It's great to switch to thinner socks and walking shoes when conditions & the weather allows O0

I left my walking boots on my outdoor balcony a few days ago by mistake, so used my hairdryer to warm the insides up before I put them on :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:16:06, 03/03/18 »
Two pairs of socks ...

Yup. Wot he said works for me.
Skip

KimE

« Reply #14 on: 11:20:04, 04/03/18 »
One pair of thick knitted woolen socks with plenty of room in my powerboots, military leatherboots or packsboots. The wool  takes the moist away from your foot and keep it dry have extra socks with you to change in mid day.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy