Author Topic: Camping Option Near Windermere for Late Arrival  (Read 584 times)

chrsmithj

Hello!

First time poster, though I have been loving this forum for my recent re-discovery of camping and backpacking in the new year. Additionally, my outdoors experience has primarily not been in the UK, as I am an American living in London. So exciting to not only re-discover the love of the outdoors, but also have this limitless pool of places to go that are equally new and exciting!

My question is one that I can't seem to find an easy answer to and am hoping asking it will be the quickest way to one. I am planning a weekend hiking trip from Windermere north along the Kentmere Fells. It is based on one on the v-g site, but from Windermere instead of Staveley. I have chosen this starting point most of all for ease of train connection from London.

I am planning to take an evening train up after work on Friday, getting in around 930 into Windermere.

My question is if anyone has good tips on where to spend the night relatively close to Windermere. I have found the two campsite options of the Camping and Caravanning Club and the YHA. The latter shows no availability and haven't heard back via phone. I would prefer to avoid the former as it seems very caravan-focused from the pics.

Have people found it possible to pitch a wild camp relatively close to the town or an alternative bookable campsite?

I have the rest of my weekend planned out and the second night's wild pitch plan set, so just looking for the best option for this initial place to lay my head when I get in.

Really appreciate your input and help in advance!

Chris

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Camping Option Near Windermere for Late Arrival
« Reply #1 on: 23:33:28, 06/03/18 »
I don't think YHA Windermere has opened yet for the year, which might be why there is no answer on the phone.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Ralph

« Reply #2 on: 04:07:30, 07/03/18 »
I am sure that Windermere YHA is open all year, I too have had a problem in the past with contacting them. The campsite is large so at this time of year there will should be loads of room. If you go onto the YHA website you can find the number for the Head Office, they will tell you all you need to know & book it for you.

chrsmithj

« Reply #3 on: 07:34:24, 07/03/18 »
Thanks a lot, I'll try that! I will let you know if it doesn't work out when I call. But point being that's your preferred place to stay there - no pubs etc that have camping available?

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:20:12, 07/03/18 »
If all else fails and you're forced to wild camp, you should find plenty of secluded spots on the north side of Orrest Head or in Common Wood.  The track up to Orrest Head starts  across the road from the station and is easy to follow.
Obviously it will be dark when you arrive so you will have to comfortable with pitching by head torch.
Hope all goes well and you have a great time O0

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:42:43, 07/03/18 »
Welcome to the forum. I'm pleased to see you're going to walk a v-g route, because I've followed several of theirs in North Wales which were excellent, although they do seem to enjoy going where there are no paths! (Written in jest, for I know they read this forum).

I'm not familiar with Windermere so I can't contribute anything of real value, but I wonder if you've looked on ukcampsite.co.uk for sites? That has the biggest selection and includes user reviews too.

Hope you train won't be late!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy