Author Topic: The End of Hiking?  (Read 5351 times)

RogerA

Re: The End of Hiking?
« Reply #15 on: 14:51:41, 09/04/18 »
This strikes me as one of those stories that has being doing the rounds reguritating itself for well over a century - the first I know to be sure of is in relation to the evils of reading novels ...

I dont understand the kids of today. They're not like me. They spend too much time [on phones/on game consoles/on computers/watching tv/reading novels...etc,] they will [have no social skills/become lazy/get fat/have no imagination/do no hiking... etc.]

Its lazy and frankly to me offensive to pick any grouping on whatever basis and generalise in this way ... they're all the same - insert negative sterotype here.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:35:46, 09/04/18 »

What do others think and/or what do their own children do?

I think recreational walking will remain popular. It certainly won't end.

My kids are very different regarding walking. My eldest son isn't keen - he walks his dog locally but that's about it. My younger son likes walking, especially on the Sussex Downs. My daughter spends as much time as she can in Cumbria walking the high fells.
Skip

Ho11yberry

« Reply #17 on: 20:12:58, 09/04/18 »

The London Hiking and Walking Meetup group (https://www.meetup.com/AAA-London-Group/ [nofollow])  has nearly 20,000 members, the majority of whom are in their mid 20s to 40s.  Also, two of London's most popular Ramblers groups are the ones aimed at younger members

So no, I don't think hiking is dying out with the older folk... and just look how fashionable some of the gear is nowadays!

photonut

« Reply #18 on: 09:04:45, 10/04/18 »
Read an article this week which suggested that once the "baby boomers" die out or become incapacitated, hiking is in danger of dieing out because young people are not taking it up. Presumably spending their time on screens?

Only my limited opinion, but I strongly disagree with this.

I have noticed that during week days, walkers/ hikers are predominantly 'of the older age groups'.  However, I would say on a weekend the majority is most certainly the younger age groups (closely followed by families).  Something I have to confess has taken me by surprise whilst out walking in the Lake District/ Dales/ Peaks.

... it seems that Wainwright bagging might be a socially acceptable (i.e groovy and cool :) ) pastime for the young :D

Troggy

« Reply #19 on: 09:20:11, 10/04/18 »
At first, I thought the writer of that article was daft. I still think that.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:23:51, 10/04/18 »
 It depends on what type of "hiking" you are talking about.Its not numbers that are reducing but rather the type of activity people are engaging in.Over the last decade ultra distance challenges have become very popular and younger people are keen to test themselves.Thirty years ago it would have been unthinkable to hold a race on the Pennine Way in winter but over the last few years we have seen this race take place and a lot of the entrants are younger people.Once the shackles of politically correct thinking and health and safety gone mad have been removed young people are just as capable of performing the same as previous generations and, in a lot of cases,even better.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:29:38, 10/04/18 »
Once the shackles of politically correct thinking and health and safety gone mad have been removed
With respect, in terms of the thread topic, what on Earth are you wittering on about?

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:45:45, 10/04/18 »
The numbers involved in races such as the Y3P race and the Pennine Way are minute compared with the numbers out walking throughout the year. If the number of outdoor gear shops and equipment brands are an indicator then walking as a pastime must be thriving.
I was up on Fairfield in mid March in snowy conditions underfoot and there were scores of “younger” people out ranging from young teenagers to the thirty somethings, singly, in pairs and groups.
It's all uphill from here.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:23:38, 10/04/18 »
Over the last decade ultra distance challenges have become very popular and younger people are keen to test themselves.

Tell that to Joss Naylor and the hundreds who took part in Fell runs and competitive cross country runs in the decades predating the single decade you mention. Young(er) people have always been keen to test themselves against their own peer group and also challenge the older generation in these types of events. ::) ::) They continue in many North country shows yearly.
« Last Edit: 22:37:47, 10/04/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:36:09, 10/04/18 »

Perhaps the article was there to provoke a reaction, in which case it succeeded!
I find this thread very cheering.  Hiking is obviously alive and thriving!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:04:52, 10/04/18 »
I can well believe it, as a recent article in a medical journal for the North Wales regions of Gwynedd, Conwy and Denbigshire, highlights the acute obesity problem in school children under the age of seven.
I thought the South Wales valley's were amongst the most deprived and anti exercise regions in Wales, but according to very reliable data, the regions of North Wales have some of the most overweight youngsters in the Uk.

We all know there is an obesity epidemic in the very young age groups in Britain, but to have it spelt out to you by current medical staff in North Wales was a real eye opener.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 19:42:14, 10/04/18 »
Tell that to Jose Naylor

If I knew who this gentleman was I would tell him.Does he reside in Spain or Portugal? ;)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:33:11, 10/04/18 »
Well I for one am very encouraged to see plenty of yound people doing DOE during many of the walks I do. They don't always look too pleased when struggling with their over sized heavy packs, but they are still doing it - they know it looks good on their CV.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 22:39:57, 10/04/18 »
If I knew who this gentleman was I would tell him.Does he reside in Spain or Portugal? ;)

Good one. Post edited now, sorry.
My apologies to him and the grand men who usually followed in his wake. Though not necessarily in Iberia.
Too little, too late, too bad......

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #29 on: 14:53:50, 11/04/18 »
The majority of hikers I see in my local area are younger. I live in the chilterns and it's rare that I go a full walk in the local area without seeing groups of teens doing their DofE or similar.

My 5 year olds also love coming out for hikes with me. Hopefully they alway will.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy