Author Topic: Hi from Orkney  (Read 2591 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Hi from Orkney
« on: 10:37:56, 12/06/18 »

Hi all; I've recently taken early retirement and am getting back into walking and the outdoors; hopefully I've still got as few decades left in me!

I've been in Orkney for 17 years now, having previously spent a similar amount of time living in Snowdonia. Orkney is a wonderful place to live and bring up a family, but I do miss the higher mountains, despite frequent forays 'Sooth' to see family. And I do miss trees!

I've done a fair bit of hillwalking in the past, in Snowdonia, the Lakes and the Dales, and in the Highlands; my most difficult walk being the Welsh 3000s. Longest walk was from Swansea to Conwy, and I do enjoy a bit of wild camping, whether it be in Torridon or on the local cliff tops here in Orkney. In my youth I also visited the Alps and Pyrenees, but I'm no climber!.

Best walk so far this year - a toss up between a solo trip up Fairfield in the snow in February, which left me feeling euphoric, and a family day trip to the island of Hoy, where we climbed Cuilags and visited the St John's Head cliffs before descending to Britain's most northerly native woodland, Berriedale. A grand day out.

Next planned trip - an overnight foray into the mountains around Glen Feshie, on my way south to pick up my son from college in Glasgow. Roll on Friday!

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi from Orkney
« Reply #1 on: 17:04:55, 13/06/18 »
Hi Richard and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:51:44, 13/06/18 »
Thanks Tracey; been many years since I've been on "old Kinder Scout and the moors round about"

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:31:13, 14/06/18 »
Hi Richard. That's a coincidence, I was talking to a friend the other day, he lives on Orkney, and he invited me up there for a holiday. Ian and Christine love it there.  All being well I shall be going in early September. Wouldn't it be a coincidence if we were to bump into each other.  ;D

Ilona

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 06:07:18, 15/06/18 »

Hi Richard. That's a coincidence, I was talking to a friend the other day, he lives on Orkney, and he invited me up there for a holiday. Ian and Christine love it there. [/size]All being well I shall be going in early September. Wouldn't it be a coincidence if we were to bump into each other.  ;D

Ilona

You'll enjoy Orkney, Ilona; some great walking on the coast of Mainland Orkney, and on the island of Hoy.

I particularly recommend this walk as a grand day out - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/orkney/st-johns-head.shtml - you can do it from Stromness, travelling on the Graemsay ferry as a foot passenger.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:34:41, 15/06/18 »
That looks really good, thanks for the link. My friend Ian has a web site and has written a bit about how he came to live there. If you are interested in classic cars and bikes, and cycling, you might like to browse the rest of it.
http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/other/From%20the%20Old%20Byre.htm

ilona

RogerA

« Reply #6 on: 09:47:15, 26/06/18 »
Welcome from North Warwickshire
Always wanted to go to Orkney but never quite made it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:17:26, 26/06/18 »

Welcome from North Warwickshire
Always wanted to go to Orkney but never quite made it.

Thanks Roger

Orkney well worth a visit if you want something a bit out of the ordinary. May and June the best months, in my opinion, and some great clifftop walking to be had. Difficult (and expensive) to get here from Warwickshire, though!

Troggy

« Reply #8 on: 18:31:30, 26/06/18 »
Hello Richard, and a belated welcome from Liverpool (well, Everton!)

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:42:48, 26/06/18 »
Hey up from North Yorkshire. 

Love the idea of going to Orkney, dunno if I'll ever make it tho;

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:27:01, 27/06/18 »
Welcome from Devon - a long way from Orkney but I have been! absolutely loved it; the archaeology is amazing so hope to come there again
particularly[/color]  
to visit the dig at Stenness which wasn't started when I was there before.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:38:05, 27/06/18 »

Hey up from North Yorkshire. 

Love the idea of going to Orkney, dunno if I'll ever make it tho;

Very fond of the Yorkshire Dales; have spent many a fine day on (and a few under) the hills. Was last there for the Tour de France!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:39:41, 27/06/18 »
Welcome from Devon - a long way from Orkney but I have been! absolutely loved it; the archaeology is amazing so hope to come there again
 particularly[/color]  
 to visit the dig at Stenness which wasn't started when I was there before.
Went to the open day last year - most fascinating - the history of Britain being re-written.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy