Author Topic: Hi from Shetland  (Read 3046 times)

Stickweaver

Hi from Shetland
« on: 18:43:45, 25/04/19 »
Hi, I'm looking to challenge myself with some long distance walks. I like remote but not mini mountains as I get reverse vertigo. Very used to bog and moorland...and wind  ;D  Scotland is first on my list as quicker to travel to. Looking forward to sharing tips and ideas with you all 😊

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi from Shetland
« Reply #1 on: 19:16:06, 25/04/19 »
Welcome from Aberdeenshire

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:35:30, 25/04/19 »

Hi from Devon
Hopefully you'll get as far south as this one day - the walking is good.
Why 'stickweaver'? and 'reverse vertigo'?

Sorry, I'm just nosey by nature :-[
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:11:45, 25/04/19 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:37:04, 26/04/19 »
Welcome from Liverpool, Stickweaver.  I had the pleasure of visiting your islands last year and fell in love with them.  What is reverse vertigo by the way?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:16:46, 26/04/19 »
Welcome aboard from Manchester  :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:11:40, 26/04/19 »
Hi SW and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Stickweaver

« Reply #7 on: 15:59:53, 27/04/19 »
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

@jac. Stickweaver as I love making willow baskets, although since moving to Shetland and a dearth of trees I now spin sheep fleece and weave with that instead.

@pdstsp reverse vertigo is where I couldn't look up. Even going on something as slow moving as the London Eye, my body curled up and I was on the floor by the time the wheel reached its zenith. Couldn't even look above my head when I was on a plane!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:36:43, 27/04/19 »

Welcome from Orkney!

Some great wild country you have in Shetland, especially Northmavine and Unst.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

astaman

« Reply #9 on: 13:04:34, 01/05/19 »
Hello Stickweaver,

and Hi from Shetland also. Sorry I missed your arrival on the Forum earlier in the month. Love to hear more about your Shetland walking. There are plenty of us in Shetland doing it although we're not an organised bunch. And organising hill walkers can be like herding cats - for many it is about being alone. I should put together a list of web based and other resources for walking in Shetland for any Forum members thinking of visiting (as I know a number have). This is the best walking Forum I've found - accessible, helpful, interesting and invariably polite. I know, flattery, flattery, flattery.

I'm a towny, living at the bottom of Church Road overlooking the small boat harbour although originally from Asta in Tingwall (hence my Forum handle). Again, welcome.

Stickweaver

« Reply #10 on: 13:28:27, 01/05/19 »
Thanks Astaman,
I'm in North Yell. I was living in Unst so got to know that pretty well! I'd like to explore the rest of Shetland too, a collation of walks would be great. And yes, it's already proven a really friendly forum 😊

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:42:57, 01/05/19 »
Right you two - get working, as me and Mrs pdstsp are looking to come back to Shetland next year and we'd like some pre-planning done!! ;D

Stickweaver

« Reply #12 on: 21:31:57, 01/05/19 »
Sounds like a plan!

astaman

« Reply #13 on: 21:44:44, 01/05/19 »
Right you two - get working, as me and Mrs pdstsp are looking to come back to Shetland next year and we'd like some pre-planning done!! ;D

Post or send a PM when your plans are clearer and I will try to help in any way I can. John

Patrick1

« Reply #14 on: 11:01:34, 03/05/19 »
Also contemplating a cycling / walking holiday on Shetland, but struck by the almost complete lack of footpaths of any length on the OS maps. Are there more footpaths on the ground that are implied by the map? Or is any significant walking we do going to be "off trail"?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy