Author Topic: A walk? new mills to chapel-en-le-frith  (Read 5103 times)

teshu

A walk? new mills to chapel-en-le-frith
« on: 15:04:41, 17/07/07 »
Hi there  O0

Just found the forum and whilst looking for a specific walk.

I live in New Mills and am trying to find a walk from New Mills (derbyshire) to Chapel-en-le-frith, that dosen't involve just heading off down the A6 or another busy road most of the way.

Any one got any ideas? My partner has been thinking about walking there and getting a pub lunch if the weather's not too bad tomorow.

Off for a browse about,

Thanks

nedsram

Re: A walk? new mills to chapel-en-le-frith
« Reply #1 on: 16:21:03, 18/10/07 »
I appreciate that this is three months late, but maybe for a future date? I've only just found out about this forum as well.

As an alternative to the A6, why not use a combination of the Midshires Way (starting from the Torrs riverside park) and the Peak Forest canal towpath to the canal junction near the new Tesco in Whaley Bridge. Then follow the branch canal to Bugsworth basin, where you can have a meal and a drink at the Navigation (very nice pub with decent food and real ales). When replenished, take the footbridge over the bypass, to reach a lane with cottages next to the cricket ground. Go left left to reach a path on the right (SK 035815) which will take you up the side of Eccles Pike to Lidgate (SK 041813). From there it's a short walk down a country lane to Chapel.

Mostly flat. Just the one moderate ascent.

HTH
 :)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:01:41, 18/10/07 »
Good route and if i can welcome the both of you to the forum   ;D O0

Welcome its good to see new people.
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

hillwalker

« Reply #3 on: 12:18:55, 24/12/07 »
As, I live in Whaley Bridge, I know the area quite well and have done lots of walks in the area. The best way from New Mills to Chapel would be over Ollersett and down into Buxworth. The best way up to Ollersett is either via The Grouse pub on Low Leighton road or the road going up near the fire station.
Once at Buxworth, the Navigation pub is worth a visit as mentioned on previous feed back. I would then go down the old tramway next to the pub, which joins a country lane into Whitehough, where you'll find another pub called The Oddfellows arms, which has great beer, pleasant landlord and a charming king charles spaniel!
Once replenished turn left out of the pub, up a hill into Chapel.   
It's a great walk especially if you like BEER!!  O0 O0

nedsram

« Reply #4 on: 21:07:27, 24/12/07 »
Thanks for the recommendation for the Oddfellows. I'll add it to my "must visit" list. As you may have guessed, I too like BEER!

We seem to have the high and low parts of the walk in reverse order!

BTW I used to play in an orchestra based in Whaley Bridge. They rehearse in the Mechanics. If you have lived there long enough you may remember Jackie Bond (ex Lancs cricketer and umpire) when he was landlord at the Jodrell Arms. Sadly no longer a pub worth crossing the road for - unless you know better of course.

Brian

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:35:03, 27/12/07 »
Welcome to the forum hillwalker and a great bit of advice  O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy