Author Topic: one man tents  (Read 4960 times)

ogy

one man tents
« on: 09:51:52, 27/01/08 »
What tents do all you multiday ldwers use and favour?

I currently use a cheap and cheerfull pro action but I'm looking to upgrade now to a decent one that will last and not fall down during a wet night and try suffocate me ;D

Cheers all

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: one man tents
« Reply #1 on: 18:24:11, 27/01/08 »
Hilleberg Akto (OK who won the bet that this would be on the list...?) Its a long-time 1 man classic and is absolutely bombproof, puts up inner and outer together in one go with 8 pegs, and takes down smartish. in a similar fashion has loads of room under the porch fopr cooking when its raining, and room for two to have an intimate party, if they really really like each other- and only weighs 1.6kg (I think??)  (but a bit expensive!!).....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 01:03:05, 28/01/08 »
If you look back to (I think it was around Spring) last year there was quite a discussion, but I've got the Hilleberg Nallo (2 man version of the Akto).   Even if you're solo, the space is nice to have.

However (again previously mentioned) I've also moved to a lightweight 3 man bivi type tent (weighs a pound).    Not good for serious weather conditions, but for summer long distance walking it's perfect, and taken with a down sleeping bag, the pack weights and size are perfect.

I'm also a great believer in not walking in awful conditions, and always have escape routes planned for when the weather gets foul with the intention of abandoning the trip and coming back another day.    This means that I can mostly get away with the ultralightweight.    But long treks abroad means time to get out my Hilleberg.

I did once do a shortish trek in the Pyrenees with a Goretex bivi bag and got stuck in a mother of a thunderstorm.   Suffice it to say the the bivi bag hasn't seen the light of day since.

S.

Solofool

« Reply #3 on: 23:11:21, 29/01/08 »
I have a vango storm 200, weighs tonne, only taken when with missus.
for previous solo outings i used a gelert fossa bit lighter but couldnt sit up in it.
Now iuse a sil tarp and rap bivvi bag, use the walking polesto set up tarp andhey presto space.

ogy

« Reply #4 on: 17:20:32, 31/01/08 »
Thanks for the reply guys.

the akto looks awesome, I'll aspire to that but it's a bit out of my price league at the moment.

How sturdy is the gelert??

I've been looking at around the 100 quid mark, What are the most important factors to look for, head room isn't that much of an issue to me. The tent  I have at the moment relies solely on the pegs to keep it sturdy so on wet wet nights camping on soft ground the pegs come up and the tent goes down so stability is important. Any other factors you guys look for???

Cheers everyone

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:37:56, 31/01/08 »
Users of bivi bags and tarps and people who fabricate their own shelters from sticks, mosses and bracken look away now...... (This is about tents!)

These would be my criteria
1) I always look at the size of the porch first - can I cook in it safely in bad weather? Could I make  brew without getting out of my sleeping bag? - It needs a fair amount of room to do this, but it just needs to be basic shelter. And its good for storing wet kit.
2) Next I'd look at the weight - the lighter the better, but not more than 2kg at the absolute most - with all the pegs/poles etc. But watch they dont save on weight by providing nasty bendy pegs and delicate poles.  (Akto only uses 8 pegs and one pole which is one reason its quite light)
3) Id look at the quality of the poles. Akto poles are slinky and fit together easily. My "Millets" or whatever brand it is,  Severn which I use for campsites (and which cost me £19) has poles which have poor aluminium connecting sleeves and the poles are liable to bend and flatten to extreme levels in strong winds - which I mitigate a bit by using extra pegging points and guy ropes, and by camping next to walls or hedges!.  I'm expecting the thing to collapse on me  at some point, though.  Stormy nights can be quite exciting.  I can get all my kit and the dog in it for an extended stay, though.
4) The groundsheet should be a nice all-round bathtub shape to keep out sogginess.
5) How quickly and easily can I get it up, and take it down again?(Oooh matron...)
I always have trouble with geodesic shapes and young boys gather around to laugh and point at my struggles and say things like "Canna ye put yer tent up, mister?". So simple one or two pole tents are for me.
6) In midge-infested areas, can I sit in the tent and look out through some nice mozzie netting whilst laughing at the pathetic attempts of the local insects to get at my delicate flesh for a blood-feast... until its time to go for a wee....

tryfan

« Reply #6 on: 22:19:18, 31/01/08 »
Have used a Jack Wolfskin Gossamer for a couple of years when staying out on the peaks in Scotland. Small and light but not much room but really light. Has stood the test of gales and torrential rain without problems. Costs under £100

Solofool

« Reply #7 on: 10:36:23, 01/02/08 »
THe fossa is just under the 2kg once you get rid of the carry bag and a few extra pegs, easy set up, it has a porch area (more of a side coverage than an overhead) where you can cook, and as long as you dont mind doing this on your elbow its fine, only poblem is (sorry ladies) going for a pee at night when its raining, as it seems this happens just when i have got warm and comfortable in my maggot. Being 6ft i cant sit up in it. so i have to contort my self to be able to use my pee pot!!

But for the price you cant complain the inner is mainly mesh with a water proof (ish) bath tub.  http://www.gelert.com/products/Fossa.aspx

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:34:46, 01/02/08 »
Judging by the picture, the gelert tent looks good, and pretty solid. I think that most Gelert stuff seems quite good value - Ive got Gelert fleeces and thermal shirts and they're quite good.  Ive no experience of their tents - but I'd be happy in the one in the pic.

Sometimes a groundsheet appears to be leaking  a bit of dampness, but this is often just condensation.  Some people put a karrimat or a "footprint" under the groundsheet to protect it and it helps to stop that bit of dampness.  I don't bother, though, I'm not all that bothered about the odd drip!

Mr Bladder always strikes just as you've warmed up your sleeping bag, though, no matter what you're camping in!

ogy

« Reply #9 on: 13:43:14, 06/02/08 »
That Gelert looks fantastic for the price,

I think I'll give it a go,  :)
Cheers everyone

Ogy

Solofool

« Reply #10 on: 14:09:18, 06/02/08 »
Well if you are interested you can have for £10 and the postage. How tall are you by the way?

ogy

« Reply #11 on: 14:43:44, 06/02/08 »
I've sent you a pm mate, Cheers

Ogy

ogy

« Reply #12 on: 15:04:44, 09/02/08 »
Just set it up solo.

I just have to say the condition is immaculate, if not for the open packet of instant tea and a massive beatle I'd have thought it was brand new ;D You put me to shame  :)

Thank you so much for selling it at a great price, I owe you a large cold one

Much Much better than my last one, and yup I can nearly sit up in it hahaha

Thanks Mate

Ogy

Solofool

« Reply #13 on: 16:41:13, 10/02/08 »
lol was in a rush to pack it, glad you liked it. Now go put it to use and do a multiday hike into the wilderness of yorkshire

ogy

« Reply #14 on: 21:33:04, 11/02/08 »
Planning one as we speak ;) A 25 mile section of the cleveland way, the weather we're having lately is fantastic and I can just smell spring in the air.

Hopefully next weekend but the missus already has other plans >:(

Ogy

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy