Author Topic: North Pennines - Grey Nag  (Read 1869 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
North Pennines - Grey Nag
« on: 20:05:12, 09/02/08 »
My mate Brian rang yesterday following his return from Scotland and we arranged this little walk.
Both me and Brian have had our tickers de-coked, Brian much more recently and , as founder members of the "we dont care if beta blockers make your legs really heavy" club, we're trying hard to build up and maintain enough fitness to continue hillwalking and to do even bigger and better things by the time the larks start singing again.
I didnt take the dawg on this walk because they're supposed to be banned till May 2010 to "protect moorland birds" (my a**e) - but there was a sign at the bottom of the hill from Knarsdale Estates which said "KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEAD" Doh! Dont tell Bruno, he was dischuffed enough to be left at home.
And so - we headed for Grey Nag, a 2150 foot stony lump which looms over the upper parts South Tynedale, just above the bit between Slaggyford and Alston.
Its a strainghtforward 3 mile, 1300 foot slog up a long lane out of Slaggyford, then a steep climb to a ridge, followed by more gentle sploshing through sphagnum bogs to a stony top with a big cairn.
Our return was via the long North ridge.
Grey Nag has a fine population of golden plover who hide in the grass and go "peep", and it's lower parts have large numbers of lapwings and, a bit oddly, kestrels, for some reason.
Anyway, we both managed it without any cardiac incidents, GTN spray, purple lips or very much agony.
Celebrations were held at the Kirkstyle Inn which was closed, but they let us in and locked the door anyway.
By the way, is there a lichen expert on the forum - I took the second pic of some impressive stuff sticking to the top of a post. I think its whatever it says on the caption - but I'm not sure.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Re: North Pennines - Grey Nag
« Reply #1 on: 21:21:02, 09/02/08 »
A great report and pictures Mike. Can't help you with that stuff on top of the post though. Was it edible?  ;)
Regards,
Dave

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:45:48, 09/02/08 »
Was it edible?  ;)

Hmmm not sure - there's no evidence of anything eating it... I doesnt look all that appetising, though, but as its lichen, its just a little bit of nothing, really. I expect its mainly harmless.  They did used to use some lichens for dyes, apparently, so there's always a chance that , if imbibed, your digestive tract could turn bright yellow! 

Just visited www.uklichens.org.uk which has lots of lichen pics - and I couldnt find it.
I could ask them I suppose, they seem friendly.  You have to get curious about stuff or you never learn nowt!

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:07:05, 09/02/08 »

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:20:29, 09/02/08 »
Thanks for this Dave - this looks right up my street - and not just for lovely lichens..  I might have a bit of a lurk for a while, though for starters...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy